Would you believe Clapton uses Ultra Noiseless pickups?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 18, 2021.

1. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talker Silver Member

They are not the same thing.

2. buzzword

The Ultra's don't say Ultra on the covers. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Noiseless_Pickups

Unless he's changed them or they're not the same as the "Clapton model" strat, Clapton's are plain gen 1 Vintage Noiseless simply google "Clapton Stratocaster Service Manual" to pull up the pdf from Fender's site.

Ultra's are a new design considered to be Gen 5, the underside of the pickups have ULTRA NOISELESS VINTAGE or ULTRA NOISELESS HOT printed on them, the Gen 4 have "N4 MVT" printed on the underside. I have sets of each and they're also shown this way in the service manuals on models that use them. All say NOISELESS on the pickup covers (in gold on the Ultra's, silver on the Gen4's.)

All that being said, it's confusing unless you're are willing to do some research, there's nothing to indicate which are considered gen 1 (the plain Vintage Noiseless) vs gen 2 (the SCN's), then they somewhat sensibly called the third generation "N3", and the next "Gen 4", but now the newest 5th generation design is called "Ultra". And a "Player Plus" Noiseless just got thrown into the mix.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories or believing in the Illuminati, but in my darkest heart of hearts I know that somehow Fender also has has a hand in naming USB cables.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Bob the builder likes this.
  3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Actually the SCNs have raised molded letters saying "SCN" on the covers and they have black backings with the Fender logo in white and lettering for each pickup more similar to the later versions; Vintage Noiseless pickups have a similar black plastic bobbin to regular Fender alnico pickups.

EDIT: SCNs:

[​IMG]

Vintage Noiseless:

[​IMG]

4. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

How so?

5. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

Clapton isnt as involved in his gear as he used to be . He's checked out in that area and just goes with what his roadie hands him. Mostly Custom Shop strats to the signature series spec and handwired tweed amps.

6. buzzword

Good info

7. buzzword

Vintage Noiseless are the gen 1 pickups, Ultra Noiseless Vintage are gen 5 and are different (as well as the Hot version). I'm not Tim Shaw, I can't tell you what's physically different between generations other than what's printed on the pickups and the covers.

According to Fender the Ultra's are a brand new design, whether or not you choose to believe that is entirely up to you, so please, be my guest, and when traveling be sure to keep an eye out to make sure you don't drive off the edge of the earth.:whistling:

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  8. Scott Baxendale

I get what you’re saying. Fender and others are known for selling the same basic thing with different nomenclature to expand their market. I wasn’t really trying to infer that all fender noiseless pickups are the exact same thing. The bottom line of course is what do they sound like? A lot of the minutiae between single coil pickups is just that. I can also see the curvature of the earth from my house where Pikes Peak pokes up through the horizon.

9. Scott Baxendale

Fun fact: it’s about Clapton and I haven’t derailed the thread yet….lol.

CB91710 likes this.
  10. buzzword

Vintage Noiseless are the gen 1 pickups, Ultra Noiseless Vintage are gen 5 and are different (as well as the Hot version). I'm not Tim Shaw, I can't tell you what's physically different between generations other than what's printed on the pickups and the covers.

According to Fender the Ultra's are a brand new design, whether or not you choose to believe that is entirely up to you, so please, be my guest, and when traveling be sure to keep an eye out to make sure you don't drive off the edge of the earth.

On this we can agree, it's minutiae and much of it is irrelevant. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, but I'm 61 and have lost a lot of my high frequency hearing :) There's also nothing that couldn't be fixed with a Boss GE-7.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  11. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

I believe that EC uses Ultra Noiseless pickups.

The problem with the EC Strat is the boost circuitry, that blows out all the strattiness out of that signature model.

And, in the effort to be complete, the current Jeff Beck Strat model has the roller nut ( LSR) that I've never seen on any video of Jeff. He uses the Wilkinson rollernut. So it's also true that the production model may not necessarily be what the artist is playing.

12. buzzword

CORRECTION: The Ultra hots have ULTRA NOISELESS MODERN printed on the bottom, not HOT. My bad!

I would edit the original to correct and note but it's not giving me the option to do so.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  13. dscottyg

dscottyg Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for clearing it all up.

14. abown

abown Strat-Talk Member

I agree. They are not the same.

Fender Vintage Noiseless: https://www.modernmusician.com.au/f...bp6WE5H0szCG-R8mR6mrULOCgarp2hlQaAssgEALw_wcB

Fender Ultra Noiseless Vintage: https://www.modernmusician.com.au/fender-ultra-noiseless-vintage-stratocaster-pickup

The Clapton Vintage Noiseless use Alnico II magnets, while the Ultra Noiseless Vintage (found in the SSS Ultra and Ultra Luxe) use Alnico 5. The stagger of the pole pieces is also different.

dscottyg likes this.
  15. dscottyg

dscottyg Senior Stratmaster

I think that just about wraps it up.

Case closed.