Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you build a custom partscaster or buy off-the shelf??

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JB74, Feb 2, 2019.

1. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Build, and then build another one with different woods, then read a nice NGD thread, then build, then solder an amp, then start tolexing, then...oh, boy...

henderman and Andrew Wasson like this.
  2. Odysseus

Odysseus Strat-O-Master

Without doubt that was my difficulty. In my case I had an MJT body and a Warmoth neck, and they didn't match up, so in the end I had to get a luthier to put them together for me. If I had tried to do it, I don't think I would have been able to align them very well. But as some peeps have already said, it becomes addictive. The one I have has been my no. 1 guitar ever since (about three years now), but I can't help thinking 'if I just had another one, with these pickups, that colour, that neck, etc. etc....' But doing it again I would certainly make sure that the body and neck were from the same manufacturer, preferably Fender in my case.

Added to that, I had to teach myself to solder and teach myself to paint, which was all great fun

3. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Build, baby, build!

Hey... I put this one together today... such an addicting thing to do!

[​IMG]

Andrew Wasson and MrNeutron like this.
  4. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I prefer to buy used stock guitars:)

JB74 and PCollen like this.
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

well there are those that prefer a used name brand.. usually addicted to the need to own something with a specific Logo on the headstock... and there are those that aren't "Tool Challenged" that can envision the absolute delight that comes when that first one, is tuned, and ya play that first few notes....

I've done a lotta both... and I can tell ya, the learning curve that fades behind ya as you ascend by taking a box of parts and making a musical instrument come alive.. then the knowledge that seeps into the crevices of the brain as you fine tune it cannot be matched by buying a used guitar... no matter how extensively you "tweak" it..

rk

JB74, Andrew Wasson, jpmist and 3 others like this.
  6. Mr Dunlop

I like used name brand stuff really.

I can refret guitars, refinish and solder from the ground up.
    When the used market is so cheap and so many options already available I just dont see the point.

JB74 and PCollen like this.
  7. Ronkirn

and many share the same vision....

r

MrNeutron likes this.
  8. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

I've learned more building my own than I could ever have otherwise, and ended up with guitars that rival other costing 2 or 3 times as much. That's the difference for me. I love it.

9. Mr Dunlop

The koolaid gets thick with partcasters. How many guys after spending a bunch of cash are gonna admit they have a POS. :)

I am sure some guys are putting together some nice stuff however, I just doubt most these guitars are what people make them out to be.

amstratnut likes this.
  10. CGHguitars

Well...I guess that's valid, but I would say the Koo-Aid is FAR thicker with name brands. Frankly, that is the definition of a "brand," and precisely why they were created.

CigBurn and Andrew Wasson like this.
  11. Mr Dunlop

Unless your doing a scratch build, most guys are using name brand stuff warmoth, fender etccc to build these partscasters. So I would say thats a double dose of thick koolaid. :)

Like I said I am sure some guys are making some nice guitars but not every guy is up to the task.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    JB74 likes this.
  12. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

to the OP's question. The answer is simple. I have and will likely continue to do both buy factory models that I like and build partscasters. What I won't do is settle as I don't see any need to given I'm happy with the guitars that I have now.

Oh, and I used my partscaster on today’s Challenge. I built it b/c Fender doesn’t build anything like it.

JB74 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  13. CGHguitars

They are, and I am, I guess, but the brands are Warmoth, Callaham, etc. Component brands. The point that I think everyone misses is that the guitar brands, in particular an"assembled" product like
    Fender, are just an assembled batch of parts, with no more built-in quality or "special mojo" than any other assembled guitar. Why does a "Fender" branded wood body cost much more than another? They're made of WOOD, the same as each other, cut on routers just like each other. Somehow, everyone is convinced that the "American Standard" or "Custom Shop" body is different or better. It's not, and if there were definable criteria we could all accept, they are more likely of less quality.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  14. Mr Dunlop

I completely get what your saying.

When someone has picked out parts and spent cash. Then assembled this guitar. Of coarse they are going to be say its great. Anything less reflects on them and their inability to make a decent guitar.
    Thats the koolaid I was referring to.

CGHguitars likes this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Your lack of experience isn’t going to make you a very reliable judge on the subject, is it? It’s a bit like saying, I have little to no experience on the subject but I think bla, bla, bla...

Factory guitars are built from a collection of parts. They’re all parts casters. The production ones from Fender are built from tried and true recipes, the CS ones are variations of recipes but when it comes down to it, they’re all a collection of parts.

I like some stock guitars. I don’t ever see changing anything on my Eric Johnson Strat. Fender got that one absolutely right but if I have a goal in mind for a guitar and I know how to achieve it, why wouldn’t I go ahead and modify a guitar that’s almost there or do a custom build to reach my goals?

By the way, even if by some fluke, you put together a guitar that doesn’t sound as good or play as well as you had in mind, you can always tweak it to achieve your goals. Or... if you come to the conclusion that you’re just way beyond your depth, you can part it out. Fender will be more than happy to sell you a guitar that’s ok.

Zeekrider likes this.
  16. Mr Dunlop

You havent been around here long enough to know what experience I have or not. I have swapped necks on different guitars early on in my life and pieced together guitars to suit my needs.
    I have just about 50 guitars in my house these days and just dont feel the need to build partscasters.

I have played plenty of these partscasters friends of mine have made. These guys talked the world of them. I played them and didn't find anything special about them.

Now here is a guitar I wanted and bought as a shell. Gibson LP Jr 57. I bought all the parts I wanted for the build. Installed the missing inlays, refretted it, added a new nut, spot finished the headstock and rewired it. I chose the pickup, fret wire size etc... I didnt refinish the body cause I kinda liked the raw look.

Before and after.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. CGHguitars

Yep...agree with that. And dig the LP Jr. Very cool.

Mr Dunlop likes this.
  18. Ronkirn

and me too.. it's called cognitive bias... it's also applicable when someone is convinced that paint, as an example, can impact the voice of a guitar and dumps a perfectly good guitar, for one demonstrably inferior yet "hears" it as superior..

r

CGHguitars likes this.
  19. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

Man it all goes to hell quick round here don’t it?

JB74 and CigBurn like this.
  20. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Well, maybe you can explain it. You seem to be able to take things apart and put them back together but from the last half dozen post of yours, it sounds like you are having trouble improving on the basic design or you don’t believe others have that ability.

EDIT: That Les Paul JR... Is it better after you worked through it? It probably is. It’s probably better than it was when it was new on the shelf. That guitar isn’t what I’d call a partscaster but many would. I’d call it hot rodded or Custom. It’s not stock now but it looks good and should be a pretty fantastic player. This is what I’m talking about. You had a goal and had the knowhow to achieve it. No koolaid necessary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.