Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Would You Buy a Korean-made Fender or PRS ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by PCollen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. PCollen

PCollen Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    Many say that the Korean-made PRS SE series are pretty good..not so sure about the Fenders. But I am of the mindset that it is not necessarily what instrument you play, but WHAT you play and how well you play it. Here is a video of a band who's guitarist played a LP in the past but is now playing a Prestige Classic guitar (albeit though a Marshall amp) ( http://www.prestigeguitars.com/electric-guitars/) which are, for the most part made in Korea (btw, "don't judge the book by it's cover")"

(Video made on St. Pat's Day 2012 at Meg O'Malley's in downtown Melbourne, FL)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I have a Korean-made Gretsch that I like a lot. There are admittedly a couple of minor issues with the fitment of the hardware, but the wood and finish are great. I'm getting ready for some serious upgrades on it and will be correcting these issues during the teardown; the guitar is worth the trouble.

3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I have a USA '91 PRS that is as easy to play as it can be, I have had it 20 years and have put a third set of frets in it recently...

The first time I played a a PRS SE, I felt like I was robbed, the SE was 90+ % as good as my USA model off the rack!

wildhawk and owenmoney like this.

4. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    AAAAAAAAAAARGH! You didn't warn me there were BAGPIPES!!!!!! :eek:

5. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    I did (now owned and loved by a good friend of mine):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    Gone
    Admin Post
    I've owned many Korean Fenders and PRS imports and will own many more. They are some of the best out there.

rlmcritters1 likes this.

7. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Jun 20, 2016
    The Hinterlands, USA

8. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Country of origin doesn't matter - its the level of quality in the parts and manufacturing that matter. If you commission a shop in Korea to build you a line of guitars as cheap as possible with the lowest parts cost and labor cost, you'll get a budget instrument. If you (or lets say Fender or PRS) commission a shop in Korea to use quality components and allow a much higher labor cost (time), then you'll get a great instrument with tidy binding, good paint, built within tight tolerances, etc - and be a great guitar.

Same for a USA guitar. Just look at Gibson over the last 10 years or so - realizing their brand name was worth more than the actual instrument it was attached to, they've churned out complete garbage in a budget range (Melody Maker, Tribute, etc) with a "Made in USA" stamp that can't hold a candle to even the most basic Chinese build Epiphone Standards.

As for PRS, Paul said he would never import a guitar under the PRS logo - but in business you need to stay kinetic. There was obviously a business case for it - and it likely helped fund the company to do more things in their USA lineup. But I believe Paul had one important requirement: that the imported guitars were still quality instruments. Sure the tops are veneers, the woods aren't as "select" and the hardware is cheaper spec, but they're still well made instruments.

Manifestgtr, Yogi and henderman like this.

9. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    The new Korean-made Guilds and D'Angelicos are excellent. I don't any reason to hesitate if the guitar is otherwise what you want.

Yogi likes this.

10. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Didn't Chapman just move production to Korea too?

11. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    Gone
    Admin Post
    "As for PRS, Paul said he would never import a guitar under the PRS logo - but in business you need to stay kinetic. There was obviously a business case for it - and it likely helped fund the company to do more things in their USA lineup. But I believe Paul had one important requirement: that the imported guitars were still quality instruments. Sure the tops are veneers, the woods aren't as "select" and the hardware is cheaper spec, but they're still well made instruments."

I played an SE245 on Tuesday that was the best import guitar I've ever played. I should have bought it.

rlmcritters1 likes this.

12. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    This is spot on. The fact that countries in East Asian are used by some companies for budget instruments because of lower labor costs doesn't mean there aren't amazing guitars coming out that country. It all comes down to what the companies is willing to pay. It costs more to have a high level of QC and smaller variances instrument to instrument.

The PRS SE models are a shining example. I have two USA made PRS guitars (a McCarty and a Custom 22, both core models). The QC and finishing on them are phenomenal. Custom shop level. Recently I played an SE Custom and it was about 90 percent there compared to my top-end USA models. It was amazing. They played as good as most Fender American Standards that I've played.

henderman likes this.

13. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    I have a Korean PRS, and a Korean Agile LP. I'm not sure where my SX bass was made. This is the first I've heard of Fenders being made in Korea.
    Ive heard of American, Mexican, and Japanese Fenders and aren't some of the Telecasters with three pickups Chinese?

14. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    That was awesome ! Love the pipes,

15. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2016
    Colorado
    I liked my MIK Fender Squier Series Strat. This was a non-full width lightweight plywood body.
    Its maple neck is now on a JM clone.

16. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    I have a 30th anniversary PRS SE custom 24, it's absolutely gorgeous, well made fantastic neck, no fret sprout at all even when all my fenders go through it with our climate changes. Plays wonderfully even when I don't. Fit and finish are superb. Sounds great, but I still prefer my Baja's

17. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    I wouldn't buy a guitar, nor refuse to buy a guitar solely based on the country where it was built. Just me.

Doghouse_Riley and henderman like this.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I've played and owned several MIK PRS SEs and they are quite nice, even second/third hand.
    Not had any Fender MIKs but have a few MIK Epiphone LPs/SGs.

The Epiphone SGs showed how the earlier MIK guitars were poorer than the later MIKs just like every other location production shifts to. The learning curve and capital equipment improvements at a factory begin as sketchy and ramp up to great. By the time a plant gets to the great stage they are too expensive and production shifts to another location to start all over again.

19. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Dusenbergs are made in Korea and are fantastic guitars that are not just cheap clones of US designs... Asian manufacturing is state of the art in almost every field, you just get what you specify... my old Peerless Built EPI Sheraton was a really solid guitar...

20. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a Bernie Marsden model. Very well put together, but tonally just meh. Changed pups, but still lacks something compared to my Gibsons and MIM and MIJ Fenders. Same problem I had with three Epiphones in the past; lackluster tone. Maybe I just have bad luck with Asian guitars...

qblue likes this.