Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Would You Buy a Korean-made Fender or PRS ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by PCollen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The "higher end" Chapmans are made at World Musical Instrument Co. IMO, the current level of production quality (for a given price point) coming out of Asia (China, Indo, Korea) rivals American manufacturing.

These are the brands made at WMI
    B.C. Rich
    Chapman
    Dean
    Gretsch
    LTD
    Line6
    PRS SE
    Schecter

The lower end (heritage) Chapmans will be made in Indonesia.

Textele and MetalPedal like this.
  2. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    I have an Indonesian PRS, a 245 Singlecut and it's a really well made, great playing, great sounding guitar - honestly knocks spots off either of the two Gibson Les Pauls I had.

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 Strat-O-Master

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have a showmaster scorpion from Korea. One of the nicest playing guitars I have ever owned. Great quality.
    1492720469408.jpg
    1492720478595.jpg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I love my Showmaster (strat style). would love to get one with the esquire body like this one. :thumb:

6. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    My PRS A10e acoustic is Korean, i cant fault the thing, its beautiful.

7. PCollen

PCollen Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    I should not have said Fender Korean guitars, because I don't hink there are any. Fender gets guitars made in Indonesia and China. I should have said Asian vs. Korean so as to be non-specific as to country of origin.

8. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Because an instrument is made in other places, doesn't mean it's bad...often, exactly the opposite is true. That's why it really does matter that the player actually play the actual instrument before the player buys it.

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Spot on. If you specify cheap, they're happy to oblige; they want to give their customer exactly what they've asked for.

mad axe man likes this.
  10. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Yes, strangely for me, it was this Tele style that grabbed me most. Really lightweight mahogany too.

My pal, who now owns the esquire in the photos, recently found the acoustic version and now wants the Strat style version to complete the set (he's hooked!).

I must admit to having loved that guitar, but it's new owner (who was crazy about it) was more deserving of it, so it went to him.

That pickup is seriously hot!!!

11. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Yes it is...The Fender Atomic II bridge pups are like 16+kohms. They will definitely scream. And the Mahogany they used is almost uncomfortably light. My biggest problem was the lack of dots on the face of the fret board...didn't realize how much I used them until I got it.

Rockape likes this.
  12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    It's always about how good the product is and how it plays. I used to be a bit of a cork sniffer when it came to Asian gear, but if I like something nowadays, and it's good quality I don't turn my nose up anymore.

Textele likes this.
  13. techowiz

techowiz Strat-Talker

Nov 7, 2013
    NY
    Is this Angus Young's inebriated cousin?

PCollen likes this.
  14. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    From what I have seen the WMI sourced
    Guitars are a big step up from the Chinese and Indonesian guitar. They usually are priced accordingly.

15. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Its interesting - Fender mostly skipped Korea. They did production in Japan in the 80's (to compete with some of the high quality Japanese made "knock offs" at the time) and toyed with some Korean made guitars (my Squier II for example),, but then started up a factory in Mexico. I'm not sure if any other major manufacturer uses a Mexican factory?

Fender did some runs of 1-off Korean models, but never really did so for a whole product line. They did complete runs in Japan, China, and Indonesia. Probably some other places too. But because Fender had Mexico in 1990 - the time when many other manufacturers were switching from Japan to Korea - Fender pretty much "skipped" that evolution of their imports.

Now there was a time in the late 80's when Korean made guitars being sent to the States were pretty much entry level plywood junk - but quality quickly improved by the mid 90's. And today - some very nicely made guitars come out of Korea.

Will China ever be considered a place for high end guitars to be built? Some of the higher priced guitars I've seen out of China have been quite nice. I had an LTD guitar that was decent that was made in Vietnam. Country of origin doesn't really matter much. That said, I have a soft spot for Fender Japan stuff. Every model I've played - and that's probably been over 100 guitars in the past 30 years - has just felt great, including Squier Series.

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. wildhawk

wildhawk Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2014
    Midwest
    Yep, QA isn't determined by geography. The person in charge does.

Indonesian PRS, Chinese Epiphones, Vietnamese LTD's are all in the stable.

20170420_174041.jpg 20170420_174521.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    gofmusic, johnnymg and henderman like this.
  17. Bopocaster

Bopocaster Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Seattle
    My old gigging Strat is I believe Korean, North Korean possibly

18. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

Nov 24, 2016
    wisconsin
    Would not hesitate.. Some pretty good stuff coming out of Korea , China and Vietnam..
    Schecter is one.. Great guitars ! Good quality too.. Rivals a lot of the Name Brands...

19. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talk Member

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    My MIK Fender Tele is my #1 guitar! Fender Special Edition Lite Ash Telecaster.

File Nov 11, 7 33 25 PM.jpeg

Stark and RevBillyG like this.
  20. StrugglingStrum

StrugglingStrum Strat-Talk Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Ft worth texas
    Never played an American PRS but my custom 24 SE semi hollow is of top notch quality. I did have to drop a set of Seth lover pickups in it because the stock pups were not that great. Now, I think it's as good or better than all my MIA fenders, including my Clapton strat.

21. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Agreed. With those Korean guilds, they have to compete with vintage USA models priced similarly so Guild has an incentive to make them as nice as they can. Like the poster above said, it's not about country of origin but what specs the parent company wants. Look at Eastman too

wildhawk likes this.