Would you go to a wedding in august?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, May 29, 2020.

1. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Well, my niece is getting married in August and my Son in November; so I can totally relate.

Antstrat likes this.
  2. Dr Cannonball

Dr Cannonball Strat-Talk Member

Depends is right. Number of people, size of venue, travel, location.

A lot of the latest data speak to the TIME of direct exposure within 6 feet of other people, with 15 minutes of direct exposure to infected person as a threshold for high likelihood of transmission. Consider that when you make your plans

Antstrat likes this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

None of that is confirmed. There are pos cases of stay-at-homes with no contact trace, there are TONS of non-compliant communities with low occurrences, and we still don't have representative random testing with a margin of error. The one thing we are certain of, is that we don't know.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

Well, we do know that so far, 100,000 Americans have died. That’s one thing we know.

CigBurn, Andrew Wasson and Antstrat like this.
  5. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

We don’t even know that. That’s the official number. Most docs who look at this stuff think it’s likely far more than that. That’s how many were verified as having tested positive before they died. A lot of people have clearly died of it who were never tested. The only thing I know is we know too little to start being cavalier about this disease...

CigBurn, Sarnodude, Stonetone and 2 others like this.
  6. dante1963

Exactly. It may be worse. Plus we still don’t really know the mortality rate of the infection because of inadequate testing.

It is way too early to be cavalier. And way too early for anyone to just decide to act like it’s all over and everything is back to normal.

It isn’t over.

And nothing is “back to normal.”

And it’s not going to be for a long while.

As for me, until there is a vaccine, or a reliable treatment, I’m not going anywhere near a crowd.

I’m a comedy hypnotist, and this should be the end of my busy period. The previous two months would normally account for almost half my yearly income. This weekend alone, I had contracts for three gigs. I am supposed to be on stage right now. But they, as well as every other gig I had booked since the end of February, got scrapped.

I still have six more gigs booked from mid-June to the first weekend of August. I’m going to have to cancel every one of those.

Because it would be insanely selfish of me to do those shows. Besides putting myself at risk, every single member of each audience and every single volunteer for my show would be at risk.

I’m burning through my savings at an alarming rate. But that’s better than winding up knowing that a bunch of people got sick because “the show must go on” or I needed the money.

Basically, I get paid to make people laugh. And for the life of me, I can’t think of one funny thing right now.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  7. Dr Cannonball

Daniel Weitzner’s group at MIT is far ahead of any other publishing about contact tracing. This recommendation comes through their work. Their stuff is well worth reviewing.

And yes, of course there is a tremendous amount we don’t know. In such a time we should focus on what we do and get more information.

As I said in my first post, the answer to the OP question depends on many variables. They are best served to figure out what they can control to be safe and what they can’t. Weitzner’s findings speak to this.

8. Dr Cannonball

To answer the OP’s question - probably not.

I would consider attending if the service were within driving distance of my home, had a small number of attendees (ideally who I know), and an ability to maintain physical distancing at the service. Outdoor service would be preferred. I’d wear a mask and would be prepared to leave if I couldn’t maintain important safety practices. I wouldn’t go to reception. I’d plan to self-quarantine for 2 weeks thereafter.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Not unless I was in the band and getting paid...

10. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Not getting drunk and not kissing the bridesmaids, would be tough.

11. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

No. But to be fair, I'm in the Southern Hemisphere. Anyone getting married here in August is hoping for no guests....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Ex pat Yorkies. ;)

Bazz Jass likes this.
  13. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

I'm one of the lucky ones whose livelihood hasn't been affected; I can't imagine what you're going through. Best wishes and I hope you get back on stage soon.

14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    My wife and I went to a state park yesterday and it was very busy. Honestly I think everyone in my family already had the virus in a mild form. I've been working the whole time as well so I never really did the quarantine thing like my wife and daughter. They're headed to Bulgaria Friday for a month and will have to quarantine there until the 14th of June.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

Do we? I'm showing around 703,000 US deaths since March 1. Various causes. If we don't know the transmission mechanism, we don't know the contraction percentage, we don't know the relation with positive/symptomatic, and we aren't sure of co-morbidity contribution, are we sure who died of respitory related causes, pneumonia, COVID19, or other?

At this point, with entire government and state agencies and careers devoted to this area, billions of dollars and decades of effort to build an understanding and infrastructure to deal with this kind of threat, if we are still looking at grad student projects for guidance, I'd say we are broker than broke.

16. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

Not if it is happening indoors. Outdoors, with room to keep my distance and a. Mask on? I might do it. Indoors? Nope. Grocery stores have high ceilings, you keep moving and keep your distance,and you can be in an out in a few minutes if you make a list and don't dawdle. Sitting, eating,and dancing with dozens of people indoors seems like a very bad bet to me under the circumstances. No way this is over in August.

17. dante1963

Thanks! Luckily, my GF is still working and, as I mentioned I do have some savings. If there is a vaccine by next Spring (no guarantee, obviously) we should be able to weather this.

And I know that so many people have it far worse than I do.

Mansonienne likes this.
  18. dante1963

I really meant to say “at least 100,000 Americans have died.” Yeah, the true number of casualties is probably far higher.

19. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

Nobody wants to # 100,001 :(

20. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

If the #s of infections and deaths has gone way down for a couple of weeks, I might go. I expect the next spike to be coming in early/mid June here in Cali. so Aug might be OK.

Andrew Wasson and davidKOS like this.