Would you rather have a $2k guitar with a $500 amp or a $500 guitar with a $2k amp?……and Why?

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
With a 2500$ budget, why not a 1000$ amp with three 500$ guitar !

I know... I'm not answering the question.... But the ratio is really not fair. A 500$ amps could be a rare item to find quality sounding tones... but at the same time there so many good guitar well under 2000$.

Hanson

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2016
Mesquite, Texas
I’d probably go $2,000 guitar with $2,000 amp, but then that’s not the question.

Staying within your guideline, I would go $2,000 guitar and a Line 6 Pod Go.

Horseflesh

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 25, 2022
Seattle-ish
When I started learning how to play I kind of did "cheap guitar, nice amp," but not exactly. The guitar is a $140 Squier Affinity Tele, but I run it through a Helix LT and headphones or monitor speakers.

Digital may be blasphemy around here, I don't know, but I am super happy. Even if the modeling isn't perfect--I can't tell, no experience with the real thing--I have all these classic amps, cabs, and FX to play with. As a new player, the Helix has been amazing because I can test drive everything, and it sounds good to me! I'd happily take this route again.

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
It all really depends on the situation. At home a cheaper amp can usually get the job done with any guitar. But out in the wild, I'll go with a nicer, more powerful amp, and something like one of my Strats. Neither has ever had to be $2000. I'm looking for a versatile amp, usually either a Tone Master of Fender tube model (think Twin or Vibrolux, both under $2k) and say an AVRI 65 Strat ($1800 tops). I'll take the difference in beer.

Stone

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 17, 2019
Mean Streets
I Use a Helix so no need for any amps since i have almost anything under sun amp wise, and I still would not spend $2,000.00 CDN on any guitar Consider that for anywhere between $700.00 to $1,200.00 CDN you can get some really awesome guitars
but that's my take

Cheers
Stone

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
Playing a cheap guitar in a good amp is alright, playing a good guitar in a cheap amp is blasphemy.
I disagree 100%. No major league touring band that goes to Europe using backline gear ever uses backline guitars and always uses backline amps. one of my best amps cost $100 ( Ampeg Gemini 1) and I’ll put it up against any $2k amp.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
It all really depends on the situation. At home a cheaper amp can usually get the job done with any guitar. But out in the wild, I'll go with a nicer, more powerful amp, and something like one of my Strats. Neither has ever had to be $2000. I'm looking for a versatile amp, usually either a Tone Master of Fender tube model (think Twin or Vibrolux, both under $2k) and say an AVRI 65 Strat ($1800 tops). I'll take the difference in beer.
I never equated price point with output power. one of my best amps is a Greer Mini Chief and I believe it’s only 3 watts. It cost $800 and is the best small amp I’ve ever used and I own three vintage Champ/Vibrochamp amps. I can play clubs with it and it’s plenty loud enough.

Chuck8436

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2017
Texas
Personally, I've always been more into the idea of spending more on a guitar, but you can get a decent used amp for 500. Even a cheaper tube amp. My uncle used to always say a cheap guitar with an expensive amp sounds better than Ilan expensive guitar through a cheap amp. And he was right. I still gas over guitars more than amps though. I just got a pignose and I like it. That's pretty cheap. I kind of want to get a Fender Champion 600 and those aren't super expensive. I liked the one I used to have. My most expensive amp is a Marshall JMP1C. I also have a Boss Katana 50. Those are more than enough for me I think. Maybe someday I'll get a nice vox amp

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
That's more of a setup issue than a quality issue...
Nah, I don’t think so. these same bands all have guitar techs who can do setups at the venue. It’s because the instrument is more important than the amp in the grand scheme of a performance.