Would you rather have a vintage Strat or a Ferrari?

Green Craig

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2012
Michigan
I'm not a good enough player to be able to appreciate a good ol' Vintage Strat. Then again, I'm not a good enough driver to safely handle a Ferrari.

Maybe I'd just go with an old Testarossa and one Tom Selleck worth of cocaine...
miami-vice-ferrari-testarossa-rendering-by-abimelec-design.jpg

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Ferrari for a flip to cash. After a drive or three.

I'd rather not be the custodian of a vintage instrument. Then again I'd have a bit of extra cash wouldn't I?

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
I think this guy will have plenty of money from the insurance to get most any Strat on planet Earth. As the coastal flooding gets worse in Miami, the real estate there has got to be worthless really. At some point someone simply will look at these folks and tell them they & their properties are just uninsurable. The rest of us can't be included in that pool of insured coverage. I know that any insurance company that insures them, I will make sure I never have that insurance company as an insurance carrier. It's just bad business to insure homeowners that are in denial that their personal property should be limited to something on the verge of being a salvage yard wreck or landfill garbage that can be mass produced by Ikea or Walmart & recycled as a cardboard box for furniture.

Jam Handy

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 8, 2017
Florida, USA
I'm not a vintage anything buyer...except that I studied privately with Ted Greene between 1987-1989... my "vingae lessons" did more for my "tone" than a hundred vintage anythings... a much better investment then, IMHO is to find the instructor that shows you the higher path to playing... and then it doesn't matter what guitar you have in your hands as no one can ever take the experience away from you for studying with someone who was the best of the best of their best...

The man makes the guitar, the guitar does not make the man... this is a truth that will never go away

I will take my memories with Ted to my grave with me, and that may be longer than my ability to even play the guitar as my body ages, my fingers cramp up with arthritis, and the actual playing is gone... as a type II diabetic with neuropothy (numbness of the extremities such as hands and feet) at 60yo I already notice my abilities are starting to slide... so it wouldn't matter what guitar I play... a vintage blah blah something that is (to me now living on disabilty of $800/mo for the rest of life ridiculously out of my price range...) or for every $1,000 spent on a guitar, I can have 2 Squiers or Epiphones... for example, for (say) a $10,000 single vintage blah blah something, I could have 20 different $500 guitars...

And as far as cars go, I don't even have a ar and am dependent on Medicaid transportation to get me to doctor appointments. It sucks being disabled. I wouldn't wish it on even my evil control freak hateful ***** sister who worships rystals and studies witchcraft...

mabley123

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 21, 2010
kentucky
Id get the Ferrari, sell it and buy a vintage Strat, 2 1966 Marshall JTM45/100s if you can find them, and have money left over for a Roger Mayer Voodoovibe+, Mayer Axis, and Visage Fuzz. A Mayer Octavia, and a Mayer Belair and Vision Wah. MOOG MF104M Delay, EP2 Tube Echoplex. And have money left over.

jball85

Strat-O-Master
Mar 16, 2014
East Texas
Proud to be a douche nozzle spraying douche water all over the place if a 599xx is in my carport. I've got enough strats. thumb-1920-1179104.jpg

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I’d go Ferrari because I get plenty of joy from playing the guitars I already own. And since I’m not a collector a vintage guitar really doesn’t appeal to me. Besides in 40 years my Strat will be vintage.

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat. Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats. I believe I gain more self esteem coming up with a good arrangement on the guitar than I would driving an expensive car. Beyond the esteem is the fun factor. Nice cars are indeed fun to drive as I experienced in the late '70's when I worked for an English car garage. In that job I got to drive several nice Jag's, a Mangusta (yes, Italian not British but it was there), a Rolls and many fun English sports cars. I do drool at the great classic cars I see on the Barret-Jackson auctions and at car shows - but playing the guitar is more fun to me than driving great classic, luxury or sports cars. I'm curious to hear other thoughts regarding the title question.
What sort of question is that.. its a no brainer.. I'll never get this sort of adulation posing with a beat up old Strat.. ;)
iu

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
What sort of question is that.. its a no brainer.. I'll never get this sort of adulation posing with a beat up old Strat.. ;)
iu
We'll yes, I have to admit the odds of Strat'ing one's way to rock star - such that you acheive this level of adoration - are purdy slim. Still, I'm happier with my '55 Strat - not being all that attracted to the fast lane. That may be the difference between so many (not all) of the pro Ferrari folks and those that have acheive a higher level of appreciation for the old guitars.

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
We'll yes, I have to admit the odds of Strat'ing one's way to rock star - such that you acheive this level of adoration - are purdy slim. Still, I'm happier with my '55 Strat - not being all that attracted to the fast lane. That may be the difference between so many (not all) of the pro Ferrari folks and those that have acheive a higher level of appreciation for the old guitars.
Truth be told, I've no desire to own either an 'old Strat' or an old Ferrari. I've got to play/tinker with both over my 70 years existence though .. Quite content with my cheapish guitars that play beautifully, and my old 1998 Volvo that's still running sweet after 277,000 miles.. :thumb:

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
There's a pretentiousness about owing a Ferrari that doesn't fit my vibe.

Thing about vintage guitars, no matter how much they're worth, to 99% of the population of the world they're just old guitars Bazz plays.

I bring non-musical friends into the "Holy of Holies" room here, and they're like "wow, that's so nice to have such a cool hobby" never having any inkling that the hobby on the walls around them is the value of a small beach house....

If I took them to the garage to show them a Ferrari. Well that, would be showing my hand.

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
Truth be told, I've no desire to own either an 'old Strat' or an old Ferrari. I've got to play/tinker with both over my 70 years existence though .. Quite content with my cheapish guitars that play beautifully, and my old 1998 Volvo that's still running sweet after 277,000 miles.. :thumb:
Excellent. Volvos are boxy but good (yes, I realize your '98 is post boxy days but it's my favorite line from a Dudley Moore movie called "Crazy People").