Would you rather have a vintage Strat or a Ferrari?

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
I can't drive 55.
In London I average about 8 mph during the day, at a push (so many traffic jams). Most of it is a 20 mph limit, with speed cameras on every street.

You could lose your licence very quickly...

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
Hmmm, vintage strat or Ferrari?

I guess if I were a rich man it wouldn't be a question of which one so much as which colours I might buy both in. How rich is rich? How much is enough?

As it is I'm a poor man but already have the poor man's equivalents so I think I'm well positioned to say I'm not very convinced the real vintage instruments nor the Ferrari would actually satisfy me any more.

'Fake' vintage instruments from Mexico and Japan.

_DSC0003.jpg _DSC0013.jpg _DSC0021.jpg

'Poor man's Ferrari'

_DSC0188.jpg

I love 'em all!

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
I believe in the US of A it is 55 mph?
There is not really a federal speed limit. Individual states can set the speed limit at whatever they choose. For example in California it's 50, in Texas it's 75. For a time the were areas in Montana that had no speed limit.

However, the federal government "recommends" 70 MPH, and can chose to withold federal funding for highway maintenance if a state exceeds that.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat.
In my time, I've owned/driven a Triumph TR3A (my very first car), an MG-TD, a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia, a Jaguar XK120 drophead, a Jaguar XK140MC SE coupe, a Lotus Europa Twincam, and more. Right now, in the garage, is a '67 Lamborghini 400GT that I've had since 1983. At one point, Rumble Seat Music wanted to swap me an original '59 burst and a Travis Bean I had my eye on for that Lambo, and I agonized over it for a couple of weeks before deciding to keep the car. Car's now worth nearly three times what that burst is.

I had the XK140 in college, parked it in one of the lots there. Came out one day to find a blond draped over the fender -- she was waiting to see who owned it. "I love the sound of these..." Fired up the car and dated the blond for two years.

I haven't deprived myself in the guitar arena, however, but an original vintage Strat doesn't even come close to lighting my synapses. Your mileage may vary.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Lotus, Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious
Mine was actually dead nuts reliable, thanks to regular maintenance by a specific Lotus dealer in Manhattan Beach. Tiny fiberglass chip of a car that I probably couldn't get into today. I put a turbocharger kit on it and it put out a whole 180 bhp, but it was stinky fast up to about 120. I found out that you can have sex in a Europa Twincam (it was *maybe* 42" high), but I sacrificed my windshield mirror to do it. She kicked it off at a particularly high point in the activity. Probably some kind of world record.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
I see you are in the UK. You may not be aware of the greatest US homage to the Fierrari….the Pontiac Fiero!
View attachment 564437
'Scuse me, I may have thrown up in my mouth a little. Hall and Groats not withstanding, I have to admit that the 308 was maybe better looking (and had Thomas Magnum driving one in Hawaii) but had barely more horsepower than the Fiero. Both cars were ruined by the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers grafted onto each end. The Fiero has been used as support for a lot of fiberglass body kits simulating the Ferraris of the time.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
I'd take the Ferrari...drive it a while bc I could, then sell it off for a '60s Hemi-car. I'm more of a ground-shaking, hit it with a hammer type 😂🤣.
Sturm und Drang. I drove a 440 Road Runner on the race track for a couple who liked to street race for grocery money back in the day. Pretty much stock except for the gearing (4.51 sound right?). It would beat a Hemi all day long in a quarter, though the Hemi would run right past it shortly after the quarter. Thing is, you couldn't run either at high speed for more than a few seconds before things would start falling off. As I recall, stock times in those days were in the high 13's. A stock Honda Civic Type R will run 13.2, which would have beaten those cars all day long, ground-shaking or not.

A current stock Ferrari Lusso GTC4 (four passengers, luggage, all that) will run an 11.4 and will be doing over 100 mph in 750 feet. Not bad for what amounts to a fancy sedan.

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
There is not really a federal speed limit. Individual states can set the speed limit at whatever they choose. For example in California it's 50, in Texas it's 75. For a time the were areas in Montana that had no speed limit.

However, the federal government "recommends" 70 MPH, and can chose to withold federal funding for highway maintenance if a state exceeds that.
That makes sense, they don't have blanket laws that cover the whole of America.

Hanaywhat

Strat-Talker
Mar 23, 2022
Vancouver Island
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat. Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats. I believe I gain more self esteem coming up with a good arrangement on the guitar than I would driving an expensive car. Beyond the esteem is the fun factor. Nice cars are indeed fun to drive as I experienced in the late '70's when I worked for an English car garage. In that job I got to drive several nice Jag's, a Mangusta (yes, Italian not British but it was there), a Rolls and many fun English sports cars. I do drool at the great classic cars I see on the Barret-Jackson auctions and at car shows - but playing the guitar is more fun to me than driving great classic, luxury or sports cars. I'm curious to hear other thoughts regarding the title question.
I used to buy fast cars until I almost killed myself and some other people. Now just drive an old pickup truck. Maybe when I'm retired I'll get a sports car, I do like them. For now I would go with a pre-cbs strat.

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
A vintage Strat without question.

Unless it’s used for the purposes of racing, a Ferrari is just too damn………pretentious.