Would you rather have a vintage Strat or a Ferrari?

rograt

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 1, 2018
UK
As the years go by I think more and more that the 308, 328, 348 etc, while mechanically developed, were all inferior to the 246.

For the record I’ll stick to modern production and my 997.2.

Joooemac

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 20, 2017
Canada
Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats.

I was gonna say exactly this!

Also, if I got a Ferrari I would never use anywhere near it’s full potential. Highways in Canada have a max speed limit of 100km/hr and are usually so busy I avoid them anyways. Give me a strat and I’ll enjoy it more

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat. Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats. I believe I gain more self esteem coming up with a good arrangement on the guitar than I would driving an expensive car. Beyond the esteem is the fun factor. Nice cars are indeed fun to drive as I experienced in the late '70's when I worked for an English car garage. In that job I got to drive several nice Jag's, a Mangusta (yes, Italian not British but it was there), a Rolls and many fun English sports cars. I do drool at the great classic cars I see on the Barret-Jackson auctions and at car shows - but playing the guitar is more fun to me than driving great classic, luxury or sports cars. I'm curious to hear other thoughts regarding the title question.
You’re not alone. Who cares about fancy cars. I’ve had a few nice ones no foreign jobs but the muscle cars of the late 60 ‘s. And in the long run they’re a pain in the behind. Maintaining and upkeep insurance etc. they’re not worth the trouble. I could get a vintage strat and get a lot more wear on it and less expense so to me the strat is the better option.

stratblast

Strat-O-Master
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
As the years go by I think more and more that the 308, 328, 348 etc, while mechanically developed, were all inferior to the 246.

For the record I’ll stick to modern production and my 997.2.
Some are car nuts other guitar nuts. I’m a guitar nut. I really don’t care for fancy cars. You could have a 508 or 609 for all I care. Are those cars as well. ?

CKC411

Strat-Talk Member
What year? What color? It better be good if you're giving up a Ferrari for it.
Right... lots of factors to consider, but let's say it was Frusciante's '62 vs. a used Tom Selleck variety Ferrari, I would take the '62 in a proverbial heartbeat. if it was a non-artist-owned and played guitar and not the number one off the line '54 and I could choose the Ferrari, I would have to go Ferrari!
What year? What color? It better be good if you're giving up a Ferrari for it.

dasherf17

Strat-Talker
Nov 1, 2021
25 miles SE of Rogers Mn
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat. Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats. I believe I gain more self esteem coming up with a good arrangement on the guitar than I would driving an expensive car. Beyond the esteem is the fun factor. Nice cars are indeed fun to drive as I experienced in the late '70's when I worked for an English car garage. In that job I got to drive several nice Jag's, a Mangusta (yes, Italian not British but it was there), a Rolls and many fun English sports cars. I do drool at the great classic cars I see on the Barret-Jackson auctions and at car shows - but playing the guitar is more fun to me than driving great classic, luxury or sports cars. I'm curious to hear other thoughts regarding the title question.

Not into sports cars, gimme the axe...!

tim gueguen

Strat-Talker
Sep 3, 2015
Canada
Do modern Ferraris come with an automatic transmission? I've never driven a manual transmission vehicle, so the Strat would be easier to come to grips with. And Saskatoon isn't really Ferrari country much of the year.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
What is crazy about this comparison is the intrinsic value of each. A 59 Strat sells for more than a 59 ThunderBird but when they were being made the car cost a hell of a lot more to make.

Rickola

New Member!
Sep 19, 2021
Mount Oglethorpe, GA
If you already have both, but had to give up one of them, which would you chose?

steakfinger

New Member!
Sep 13, 2021
Austin
I see no use whatsoever for a car that costs as much as a house in some areas. I don’t give 12 tugs of a dead dog’s dick what vacuous party girls think, so why? That said, I’d still take the tiny clown car so I could sell it and buy something with some actual value (which changes based on the individual). The amount a Ferrari depreciates the moment you drive it off the lot would pay off all my non-mortgage debts. Most weekend warrior blues players I’ve met would barely fit into a Ferrari. I’d be terrified to drive the damned thing for fear it would get even slightly damaged. Just like music, cars should not be for scoring a one night stand.

Ridgeback65

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 30, 2020
United States
The Ferrari! Having said that, if I could choose between Alex Lifeson's legendary Gibson “Whitey” ES-355 that was just up for auction, I'd take that in a heartbeat over (almost) any car. https://www.guitarworld.com/news/alex-lifeson-auction-results

kilroy

Strat-Talker
Jun 21, 2011
PA
I have a rider on my homeowner's insurance for my guitars, costs like $30 a year. That might not pay for a week's worth of car insurance on a Ferrari. And I don't have a garage...

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
The Strat. Even if someone gave me a Ferrari (a 275/GTB long nose, if you're willing), I couldn't afford to maintain the damned thing. They really do need to be Ferrari dealer-maintained and the costs are brutal.

Now if you're giving me an old Abarth, that might be another matter.