Would you rather have a vintage Strat or a Ferrari?

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Ferraris are automotive theater.

More than any other car, there's a whole attitude and thought process that people develop towards Ferraris and their owners, almost sight unseen. Porsche owners get some of this, but Ferraris are just an endpoint in conversations. Other cars may be faster, cost more, etc., but none have a trigger point in people's brains like a Ferrari.

Owning a Ferrari is like having an advance publicity team. "I'll pick you up in the Ferrari" is a whole different vibe from, "I'm coming over and bringing the vintage Strat." Show 99% of the population a vintage Strat and you'll get either a wrinkled forehead or a "okay, fine, can we go now?" That same bunch will look at the Ferrari name plate and the prancing horse and get sucked into the pool of "I wonder how much he/she/it makes?".

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
Ferraris are automotive theater.

More than any other car, there's a whole attitude and thought process that people develop towards Ferraris and their owners, almost sight unseen. Porsche owners get some of this, but Ferraris are just an endpoint in conversations. Other cars may be faster, cost more, etc., but none have a trigger point in people's brains like a Ferrari.

Owning a Ferrari is like having an advance publicity team. "I'll pick you up in the Ferrari" is a whole different vibe from, "I'm coming over and bringing the vintage Strat." Show 99% of the population a vintage Strat and you'll get either a wrinkled forehead or a "okay, fine, can we go now?" That same bunch will look at the Ferrari name plate and the prancing horse and get sucked into the pool of "I wonder how much he/she/it makes?".
Good observations though I realize the pro-Ferrari responders in this thread are not strictly into the car for the status as they have spoken of the fun and monitary value. Further I'll admit that I, being pro-vintage Strat as it promotes my heartfelt artistic and lifelong learning interests better than the car, do still enjoy the vanity part of having a vintage Strat even if it is only appreciated by a very limited percentage of the population. That limited population consists of guitar playing peers whose opinions are of high value to me.

Genghis Bomb

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 9, 2008
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat. Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats. I believe I gain more self esteem coming up with a good arrangement on the guitar than I would driving an expensive car. Beyond the esteem is the fun factor. Nice cars are indeed fun to drive as I experienced in the late '70's when I worked for an English car garage. In that job I got to drive several nice Jag's, a Mangusta (yes, Italian not British but it was there), a Rolls and many fun English sports cars. I do drool at the great classic cars I see on the Barret-Jackson auctions and at car shows - but playing the guitar is more fun to me than driving great classic, luxury or sports cars. I'm curious to hear other thoughts regarding the title question.
Neither. And if you don't already have money, the car is a waste, as you won't be able to afford to keep it maintained and stored. I'd rather the cash, with which I'd spend $10k or so buying my dream gear setup, and put the rest against bills/in savings.

AJS000

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 19, 2021
Australia
Forget the Ferrari give me a '73 911 Carrera RS. Or modern GT3 RS

I know a guy with both a modern Ferrari 488 and 2019 Porsche GT3 RS . He drives the Porsche as a daily. Says he feels too much a wanker driving the Ferrari lol

Attachments

• 1973-911-Carrera-RS-2.7-770x578.jpg
    1973-911-Carrera-RS-2.7-770x578.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0

lbpesq

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2014
California
I'm the same way with my '55. I have to have it in sight at all times at a gig, though I've never brought with me to the can - that's when my wife goes on the watch shift.

I played my '61 Olympic White as my main guitar for about 25 years. Then it got to the point that it was so valuable I felt uncomfortable leaving it on-stage while I went out for a smoke during the set breaks (yea, I smoked in those days). That started me on the long dangerous road to a G.A.S. infection and a bunch of guitars. Speaking of gas, I wonder what will happen to the value of all these old cars when everything is electric and the few gasoline stations left are charging $20/gal.?

Bill, tgo

LedZepconcertvet

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 23, 2022
Sinks Grove, WV
I know a successful business man who has a few cars valued at well better than $100K. I feel richer owning an original vintage Strat. Certainly, I'd be happy if an expensive car came into my possession as I would sell it and use the money to purchase more vintage Strats. I believe I gain more self esteem coming up with a good arrangement on the guitar than I would driving an expensive car. Beyond the esteem is the fun factor. Nice cars are indeed fun to drive as I experienced in the late '70's when I worked for an English car garage. In that job I got to drive several nice Jag's, a Mangusta (yes, Italian not British but it was there), a Rolls and many fun English sports cars. I do drool at the great classic cars I see on the Barret-Jackson auctions and at car shows - but playing the guitar is more fun to me than driving great classic, luxury or sports cars. I'm curious to hear other thoughts regarding the title question.
I am just a middle class almost retired guy. I only have one Strat. OLYMPIC white, American Standard, maple board, a little dressed up cosmetically. But I love that guitar, I don't feel that way about any other thing that doesn't draw breath. I don't have the money or the room to get another, and I don't want another. As far as she goes, I'm totally 'monogamous'. You may vilify me for the way I think, but I can only play one at a time, and until I'm far better on this one, I don't think I deserve another. BUT, I am very happy when I open that case and see her.

theHIVE314

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 4, 2021
Missouri
Depending on the situation and that the answer would equate to a real Ferrari, full scale, and in running order...and not a Hot-Wheels toy or a model car, I would totally take the Ferrari, drive it for a week or two, sell it, keep the money, buy a couple really nice strats/teles, and use the rest of the money towards a house to keep my guitars in.

The cost and upkeep, taxes, and loss of investment on a Ferrari (depending on the Ferrari) are far worse than that of a strat or tele. In my opinion that is.

luthierwnc

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 10, 2015
Asheville, NC
Why can't I have both?

Am I not worthy?
Whichever gets you laid.

jtr654

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 11, 2021
Minniesota
Rather just have the Cash. I've owned a quite a few 50's And 60's Strats, Some Magic some ahh, most Are beaters the rest by now in the case under the bed . They look great but haven't vibrated or lost moister over the years.

borgward

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 2, 2013
Elgin, TX
I would rather have a VINTAGE Ferarri, something with 6 webbers on a V-12 and manual transmission, Not something made with Fiat and Jeep parts. Something like the 1954 Ferrari w/4.9 liter V-12 made for the Mexican Road race that I got to drive briefly. I would settle for a 3 Liter GTO. I don't need to go over 200 mph.