Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you suggest I get the Roland JC-22 or JC-40?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by andrew00, Jun 24, 2019.

1. andrew00

andrew00 Strat-Talk Member

Hey, I'm looking for a new amp and believe one of the Roland JC-22 or JC-40 will fit the bill as I like a clean guitar.

I will be pairing the amp with my Strat and with a few pedals like the Cali76 compressor, the Hudson Broadcast for dirt, and the Strymon Flint for reverb and trem.

I like the JC series because I like a clean sound. Before this I tried a Fender Princeton '65 but didn't like how it broke up so easily once the tubes got hot. It's also a pricey amp so I returned it.

I'll be playing and recording mostly in my apartment so the JC-22 seems the most logical choice. Certainly, as a smaller amp, it'll be much easier to fit it around the place. Also, from a loudness perspective, it will be plenty loud for the volumes that I'll be playing at.

On the other hand, the JC-40 is probably overkill for me. Certainly, similar to the Princeton, I'll be mostly playing it at 1-3 volume. It's obviously also bigger and a bit heavier (although not much).

The JC-22 is probably the smart choice for me. However, I am tempted by the JC-40 because it's sound is obviously less boxy and more clear than the JC-22. Although it's bigger than I'd like, I'm looking for an amp that'll be mine for a while so I'm looking to get the 'right' amp versus make decisions based on convenience. I'm also mindful that it might be a bit weird having a small/cheaper amp when I otherwise have 'nice' gear.

That said, the JC-22 does have a certain presence that small amps have. It's not a growl per se, as it's a clean amp, but the smaller aspect of the amp does have a certain something to it - probably why people sometimes like recording with them.

Put simply, I can't decide if to go for the larger JC-40, which is the better sounding of the amp, or if the JC-22 represents a sweet spot for me of size and great sound, albeit not as great.

Can anyone help steer me here please?

2. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Here's some relevant comparisons:

JC-22:
    2 x 6.5" speakers
    26 lbs.

JC-40:
    2 x 10" speakers
    35lbs.

I'd be a little hesitant on the smaller speakers on the JC-22. Seem SO small. 2 x 10" is a great size. I'm sure they'd both record well. But the larger size JC-40 seems a little more versatile. Meaning on the off chance you DO play out with someone, it'll sound great. I vote JC-40

3. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

Really, forget about the 22... these a really bedroom amps... jc40 youre starting to talk about a great clean amp for home/studio/small unmiced lives...
    in my opinion, you’ll never regret having the 40, but you might end up regretting having the 22... I had the 40 for 3 years and liked it a lot. Traded it for a vintage Traynor to suite my needs at the time.

lineboat likes this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Id go 40 for the 10s.

lineboat and nuculer terrist like this.
  5. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Well, you're after cleans.
    Get the 40, it will sound better.
    You can always turn down the guitar volume.

lineboat and nuculer terrist like this.
  6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Get the one that sounds better.

7. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

I had the same dilemma. Ended up with a used Princeton Chorus 2 x 10". I like it but it can be a bit too immersive for just practicing. Really fills the room.

8. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

I tried them both out, extensively, about a year ago, with an ear toward buying a great Jazz amp for my hollowbody and Tele.

I found the JC-40 to be slightly better tone-wise, but I was surprised on how good the JC-22 sounded for its size and price.

My choice: Roland Blues Cube 80W Artist.

Ferpie likes this.
  9. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Buy the amp that sounds better to YOU.

10. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

40. or the 22.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The thing with the 40 would be for more heeadroom....

So in that sense the 20 watt will be louder or not enough to push for most at good volumes.

12. andrew00

andrew00 Strat-Talk Member

Thanks y'all for the comments so far. I managed to try these in store and found some interesting observations. I was wondering if anyone can contextualise them for me.

Firstly, I found both amps sounded really good. They are quite compressed sounding, which can be a little harsh if not dialled in right. I first tried them with this cheap guitar that wasn't well setup and they sounded bad but swapped out for a better one and they came alive.

What was really interesting to me is that, I know the 40 is the 'better' amp, but the 22 has a certain presence or punch to it that is quite appealing.

I noticed this when I was comparing the 65 vs 68 Princeton's. The 65 was objectively the better amp, but the 68 had an aliveness to it that the 65 didn't have. The 22 I think is a bit similar, it feels like it's pushing air more or IDK, something that feels very in your face.

I'm not sure which is the two I preferred. The 22 definitely has a charm to it. I don't know how well it'll record, it could be something that just sounds too small or compressed. The 40 obviously has a wider sound, although can also sound differently boxy.

I've always liked 60s guitar sounds that could feel a bit thin and weedy, but, to me, felt more alive. Take this Stone's track - - the main guitar is pretty weedy, yet it has a cool quality to it.

The 22 somewhat reminds me of that, although as above I can't decide is this is a good thing or a limiting thing, and thus the 40 is the better all rounder inc recording amp. Either way both sound good.

Dr Cannonball likes this.
  13. Dr Cannonball

Dr Cannonball Strat-Talk Member

I have the 22 and really enjoy it for home practice. It is the right size for late nights and has the classic jc sound

14. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't get the jc120, unless you have someone to carry it for you.

15. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

So did you end up with the 22? I'm curious about this amp too, mostly for the stereo aspect. I live in a tiny apartment with *#$*head neighbors so there's no way the JC-40 is going to work out for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.