Join Strat-Talk Today

Would you take this trade??

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gvaldez216, Apr 8, 2016.

1. gvaldez216

gvaldez216 Senior Stratmaster

I have a 1962 Gibson 330-T I have it as an investment that isn't moving untill...

A local guy proposed a trade of a Gretch Chet Atkins & American Standard J-Bass, straight across.

I don't play the Gibby and I have had it up for 4 months with minimal traffic.

On the other hand, I wasn't looking for a Gretch but I have wanted an American Bass for awhile now.
    Thoughts?

2. carver

carver Gone strangling Strat-Talk Supporter

cant be too much help here.

i would keep the 62,. but at the same time your needs are most likely different than my needs, so of course, do whats best for you man.

if you arent playing the 62. im sure someone would love to play it.

3. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

J-bass and cash?

4. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

What are you asking for the 330?

5. gvaldez216

$2,500 The appraised value is a bit higher.

6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Counting headlice on the highway Strat-Talk Supporter

There isn't just one Gretsch Chet Atkins model you do know that right? I think there is at least two, the Tennessee and the Gentleman. One of the more sought after ones are these

http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...t-atkins-hollow-body-ebony-fretboard-lacquer/

Personally I wouldn't do the deal, but that's me cause I see more value in the Gibson 330 and would use it more than you.

Only advice I can give is that you should look into which Gretsch model it is specifically and see if you can try it.

Now I don't know what kind of relationship you've got with this guy that wants to trade, I had a similar situation a couple of years ago where I had a really nice 2001 CS Telecaster that didn't get played much and I found a guy through a friend of mine that looked for a good telecaster. He had an untouched 2007 Gibson Historic SG that didn't get played and it was in mint condition.

I wasn't even into Gibson SG's at the time but just for fun I purposes that we traded guitars for a week and tried them to see if we even liked them. We did, I loved the SG and he loved my Tele and because of my full trust on him he decided that we should do a clean trade, I knew and he knew it too that his SG was worth more.

I still have the guitar and play it. But I'm glad I experienced that because it could've ended up badly with me not liking the guitar at all.

And you don't seem like you've played a Chet Atkins model before so that's why I suggest that.

Good luck buddy!

7. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Keep the vintage Gibby for sure..

8. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

There are a ton of variables with Gretsch 6120s, would need to know the exact model..

9. joshlowe

joshlowe Strat-Talker

Do what you feel is best, if you'll play the gretsch and j-bass surely that's better than a guitar you don't play?

gvaldez216 likes this.
  10. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

11. gvaldez216

I meet with him today. I only have $1000 in the Gibson, no matter what I end up coming out on top. The J alone is >$1000 retail AND I want an American Bass I only have an Affinity and it has issues everywhere.

The Chet, regardless of which one, honestly would most likely get flipped. Unless it can compete with my Trini Lopez 335, I have that base covered.

12. gvaldez216

Mine is a single pickup 330-t, P90 somewhere in between the neck and middle, trapeze; the one in that article is a 330-td W/ Bigsby which is waaay more desirable. I had It on Reverb for 2,500 bucks for 4 months and not one bite.

13. Guy Named Sue

Okay, I'm not trying to sway your decision but to just point out that you'd likely have a easier time to flip your Gibson than to trade it with the Gretsch and trying to flip that.

The J bass is something you can get whenever its not a vintage guitar. But the Gibson is and it would be sad if you traded it and ended it up with something you don't like and have to sit on to flip it.

And again it's important to know what Chet model that is cause there is a lot of price differences.

gvaldez216 likes this.
  14. gvaldez216

15. gvaldez216

He just told me it's a G6121. I know zero about them so I need to do some research in the next few hours

16. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

A G6121 is a Roundup model. Again, there are few different ones. It is important to note the year the guitar was made. I presume we are talking recent models and not a vintage, 1950's guitar. These guitars are made in Japan.

Gretschs made before 2003 were manufactured under different standards than more recent models and that can affect the price. For instance, if the G6121 has Western markings then a pre2003 will have a decal instead of an engraved G Brand.

If it has Dynasonic pickups and a engraved Brand then you could possibly get over $1600 for it and you could probably sell it very fast for $1200 if it is almost new condition.
    Of course, there is a model with Filtertron pickups, there are models with no western motif, there might even be a model with leather binding (though I think only G6130s have that) and all of these would be valued differently so it is kind of important to know precisely what model it is (there is a paper label inside the pickup control cavity that has the serial number and the model number on it).

Oh and Roundups, like Duo Jets are pretty cool. Les Paul shaped but chambered and if it's post 2003, light, weighing in probably under 7 lbs. Gretsch single coils and humbuckers don't sound like Gibson or Fender pickups so you may be surprised.

If you want to flip it though, the 'solid' body guitars are less well known than the big hollowbodies so it will be more difficult to find a buyer.

Folk_Hogan and Guy Named Sue like this.
  17. Guy Named Sue

There is also difference between the bridge pieces too. Some G6121's come with slanted bridge piece which makes it unavailable to adjust for each string then the is also one of the more expensive ones that has a bridge which you can adjust each string saddle.

I'm not so good at Gretsch guitars that's the best I know.

18. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

Actually most G6121s will come with a Bigsby bar bridge which is an aluminium bar bridge. Though Fender and Gibson players are unaccustomed to bar bridges, they work fine in conjunction with the moveable bridge base when it comes to intonation.

19. Guy Named Sue

So they don't come with that adjustable bridge anymore? It was a bit confusing to me especially looking at this ad. On the last picture you see the guitar with the adjustable bridge but on all the other pictures it has the aluminium slanted bridge.

It's called a Melita if I'm correct.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...1-1955-chet-atkins-solid-body-electric-guitar

20. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

So the bridge in most of the pictures is the Bigsby bar. The one in the last picture is called the Synchromatic bridge (which a lot of players really dislike because it is bulky and the stock adjustment screws mess with your hand for muting and it has a plastic (!), well, bakelite bridge base).

As you see in that ad, this guitar has the leather trim which I personally think is too gaudy but adds a lot to the price (as you can see by the MF retail price). If the trade is for this guitar plus a Jazz Bass, then it would be a no brainer, if you ask me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.