Wound G String Set Opinions/Experience?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by GuitarGeni, Apr 15, 2021.

1. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

So I noticed the other day that D'Addario makes string sets with a wound G. Does anyone have any experience or input into how these sound? I'm not really a fan of D'Addario strings in general, but I am intrigued by these sets as the G string always sounds a little off to me. Specifically, I'm wondering if the winding makes a difference?

2. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

Purchased an Epiphone Swingster a few months ago. It came with 11’s and a wound G, not sure what brand. On this guitar I like it. Hard to say if it sounds different because I haven’t tried an unwound G. The saddle definitely is in a different position from my other guitars for intonation. I’ll be keeping a wound G on this guitar but I won’t be switching my other guitars. They all have 9’s except one I use for slide.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I tried a wound G set a few years ago and it took about 1 minute to decide to throw that one away and put a plain string in its place. It makes bending the G about ten times as hard!

On the other hand, if you're not into bending it would probably be fine.

@GuitarGeni, I must have been through Woodstown a couple hundred times. When I was young my parents had a house in Ocean City, and we'd drive up from Bethesda, MD to route 40 and over to OC. We often stopped at the Woodstown Diner. What a great little town!

Topdude, Chont and Hal Nico like this.
  4. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, a lot of people seem to pass through this little town. I totally avoid main routes during the summer. It's a madhouse!

Triple Jim likes this.
  5. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    I don't have any personal experience with them, but I played with a guy that swore by the wound G. He was strictly rhythm, he didn't wanna make it cry or sing. (See what I did there :)) He always said the same thing, that the normal unwound G string always sounded off to him.

Dave75 likes this.
  6. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

"... the normal unwound G string..." That gives me a chuckle! I remember when ALL string sets had a wound G. There's a clip floating around out there somewhere of George Harrison amazed at the unwound G he had just played.

7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

Not a bender here, so wound 3rd's on mine.

8. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I had the exact same experience. Put it on and strummed a chord... oh cool... tried to bend.... nope... wound off, plain back on. The floating bridge makes it even worse.

Triple Jim likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I bet a lot of businesses along 40 are supported by that madhouse though!

10. Kerry Brown

I don’t get that people can’t bend a wound G. I bend all the strings including the wound E, A, D. It just takes practice to build up the technique. It doesn’t take strength, just technique. E.g. the E and A you need to pull down instead of push up.

Chont likes this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Great for old school sounds.
    A 1/2 step bend on a wound G gets you right into T-Bone territory.
    It's also the traditional Jazz sound.
    But that bend on the plain G is the sound of Rock and Roll, to me.
    Rockers and Blues benders gladly cut that wound G loose and very few looked back.

12. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I don't disagree. For me the benefits didn't justify a technique overhaul though. I still have a spare so I may give it another go on a different guitar to give it another chance but bending down the G string wouldn't allow me to bend up a full step and grab the B string on the adjacent fret. Which I do often. I'm really just a hobbyist though so take my comment for what its worth which isn't much.

Kerry Brown likes this.
  13. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I like a wound G. It does make the strummed chords feel a little more full. Maybe a little more like acoustic strings--most of which have a wound G.

Many sets of balanced 10s have a 17p for the G string, which tunes to pitch (on a 25.5. scale) at 18.2 lbs. An 18w tunes to pitch at 18.3 lbs. I can't feel a .1 lb difference in tension--which is smaller than the differences between the other strings. If there's a 3-lb difference between strings I feel that and it annoys me.

I am not aware of any company that offers a wound string smaller than .018.

https://tension.stringjoy.com/

Many string sets are not well tension balanced. If the wound G has a lot more tension than the other strings in the set, it will be hard to bend. Fender's original "regular" strings from the 50s, the No. 10 set--would have had something like this tension: 13p (30.1) .017p (28.9), .028w (41.3), .034w (33.6), .046w (32.7), .055w (29.3). That 12 lb jump between the B and G strings would have been pretty rough.

14. Kerry Brown

I only pull down on the low E and A. The G and D I push up. I only use a wound G on my Epiphone Swingster hollow body. It came with a wound G so I keep it that way. Changing to an unwound G would require an intonation adjustment and sometimes the G string is a bugger to intonate so I leave good enough alone :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Chont likes this.
  15. grumpah

grumpah Strat-Talker Silver Member

There is a company in Britain that sells 0.015w, 0.016w, and 0.017w strings [I currently have the 16s and 17s but found they actually measure 0.015 and 0.016, respectively]. In my opinion they took the imbalance too far the other way. If anyone wants to give them a try hit me up, I have spares that I won't ever use.

I agree that the plain G just doesn't sound right. I have spent a lot of time in the 'making it sound more balanced' rabbit hole. I settled on an 18w with a slightly modified vintage stagger and it sounds much better to me.

With regard to bending, I don't feel any difference between a wound 0.018 and plain 0.016 or 0.017. Tension wise my G,B, and E strings are all over the place [0.009, 0.011, 0.018w].

Kerry Brown likes this.