Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Wrangler or Levi's ?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by garyhoos1, Jun 18, 2017.

1. otto6457

otto6457 Strat-O-Master

Is it weird that I have no idea what brand my jeans are? I've had the 3 pair I own for over 20 years. I only wear jeans in the winter and since I have to wear my work uniform 5 days a week, I only wear jeans on cold weekends. It's shorts otherwise. Those 3 pair of jeans will probably last until I die as little as I wear them. Heck....I didn't even know Levi's were made in Asia now.

abnormaltoy likes this.

2. Dumpster Chicken

Dumpster Chicken Strat-Talk Member

Nov 21, 2016
    Az

3. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida

4. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Levi's 505 since I started buying my own jeans. Before that mom bought me Sears plain pockets, thought she could fool me by opening a seam and sewing a little orange scrap of fabric in there.

Made it worse at school, the kids who teased me about my jeans now had ammunition that I was posing as having real Levi's.

I'm 45, and remember the leather label on the back. Now its some sort of leather like (pleather) that wears out, and tears up long before the jeans are broken in.

Tried Lee and Wrangler, and Levi's just fit me the best. I have a low rise, short inseam compared to my waist. Freshman in high school I wore a 30x30.

Haven't seen a 30" waist since then. And now I wear a 29" inseam. I blame that on the kids wanting to sag their pants. Levi's started cutting them longer (compared the 30 inseam from a few years ago with a new pair. New pair was at least an inch longer).

And speaking of Levi's, friend of mine in high school drove a '75 Gremlin X with a Levi's jean interior. Lime green, indigo denim seats, orange stitching with a back pocket complete with orange tag on the arm rest.

Only in the 70's. :rolleyes:

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Levi's had a TV advert in the late 70s or early 1980s and wrecked a little white Porsche 911 for fun in the advert, so I quit buying the brand as a personal protest.

Now, I've been away so long, even though my boycott is over, I'm just conditioned against 'em. See, I tend to shop where other products are found and I'm real stingy about what I will pay - they're not a fashion accessory. My idea of a luxury item is another nice amplifier.

I buy what I can find that fits well at Vanity Fair outlet operations. Wranglers and Lees and some other, lesser brands. Often irregulars and just goofy low prices - less than we paid 30 years ago in most cases. Mexican assembled but usually USA denim.

In this way I can have a half dozen pairs in North Carolina, a half dozen in Memphis, and a half dozen in New Orleans at all times. I can take all kinds of chances of getting heavy glue, grease or paint or whatever on these jeans and my heart won't be broken if I have to toss them.

They're for work; the kind of work I prefer to do when it is fairly cold outside. It would be a crime IMO to ruin nice Carhartts using jeans the way I do. My favorites are the Wrangler Carpenters - I also get these in the beige cloth and in shorts form.

garyhoos1 and abnormaltoy like this.

6. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Just recently started wearing Levi's. 527 straight bootcut

kris ford and abnormaltoy like this.

7. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Levi's fit weird on me. I have Wrangler pants for work, though I vastly prefer Dickies.

garyhoos1 and abnormaltoy like this.

8. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    Levis 502 now for me.

abnormaltoy likes this.

9. Bopocaster

Bopocaster Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Seattle

10. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    Levi's but only the ones that I've bought in factory outlets during trips to the USA. They are just not worth the money they attempt to ask for them here.

Wranglers were a thing in the 1970s I think, now I think they can only be found in cheap street markets and discount stores.

I don't wear 501 because of the idiotic button up. I mean why?

I don't wear those skinny comedy fit ones the kids have these days either - they seem designed to make people look distorted.

11. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Not really a jeans wearer any more but the last pair of 501's I bought were of laughably low quality compared to the sheer heft and solidity of the old ones I used to wear.

garyhoos1 likes this.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Wrangler. The quality of the Levi's available here went to rock bottom years ago.

Neil.C, Fendereedo and Fred Phuque like this.

13. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat Fumbler Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 30, 2010
    The stolen land of the Iceni
    I usually wear cargoes but when I buy jeans it's any brand where the waistband is actually at waist level, not half way down my butt. Also, when will manufacturers learn that larger waists need more belt loops, not less?

14. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US

15. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Levi's - sadly up from a 32 to a 34 in recent years...

16. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand

17. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Another for Levis although it's been a while since I've tried on a pair of Wranglers so perhaps I should revisit.

Back in the day Levis made 512's which were super skinny and very thin around the ankles. That was my jean of choice with a pair of white high tops until they stopped making them or I couldn't fit into them (whichever cane first). I think I might be able to squeeze one arm into them today.

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Another vote on cargoes, especially shorts in the summer.

19. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    Detroit
    Levis 527..they're almost a flare..bigger than the 517s..I hate it when they bunch around my shoes..I also used to wear Levis elephant bells.

I'd wear Wranglers if the boot-cut was big enough..they can't bunch up around my Fryes!

20. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    501 button down. Levis.

Stark likes this.