Wrapping strings with locking tuners?

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
Saw this on another forum and thought I'd share...

Do you just thread through, tighten, and lock, for stability? Do you wrap once, to reduce the chances of strings breaking? Do you wrap multiple times?
Not wrapped around, but I don't pull them tight through the post either. By the time they're tuned up, there's probably at least three quarters of a turn on.

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
With lockers I don’t wrap the strings at all just run into the tuner lock down and tune up. Never had any tuning issues or string breaks. When the strings are first brought up to pitch there usually between 1/8-1/4 turn. When I change the string after months of use probably getting closer to 1/2 a turn on the post.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Why would anyone be worried about the weight of locking tuners?

Nothing weird with these tuners.
Weirdness is in the eye of the beholder
I've read elsewhere people complaining of neck dive because they added locking tuners.

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
i don't bother to fully wrap the string around the post of a locking tuner,
but i do usually end up with about 1/4 turn by the time the string is fully
stretched out and tuned to concert pitch.
On the .strandberg* guitars, there's no way to wrap; the string just fits
inside of a tuning tube at the bridge end and clamps down at the nut.
The only issue there is protruding sharp string ends on the nut side, but
i use a hair tie/scrunchie to cover those... plus, it looks cute, LOL.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I've read elsewhere people complaining of neck dive because they added locking tuners.

Internet BS. I have yet to see any neck dive due locking tuners. I even did a comparison last year about it and weighed out several sets. Believe it or not, a set of locking tuners were the lightest set in the bunch. Granted, I did not weigh every set there os but what I had on hand that were loose and didn't need to remove from a guitar. The heaviest set was also a set of lockers.
The difference in weight is completely negligible.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal

Next time I’ll change strings, I’ll weigh the guitar and the nuts on the locking tuners (because the nuts are the only different thin on locking tuners).
I personally saw no difference whatsoever

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
As for wrapping, the lockers that I prefer do not allow you to wrap the strings. If you get more than one wrap they will cut the string off of your axe. You will see what mean here. They also take away the need for a winder and a set of cutters along with the sharp poky string ends.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Stick it thru, pull it tight, lock it down, tune up. That is the beauty of locking tuners. I put them on double locking floyd type guitars because. .. locking tuners.
I to agree that PRS has some funky lockers.
But then so does my Ibanez Prestige.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
Next time I’ll change strings, I’ll weigh the guitar and the nuts on the locking tuners (because the nuts are the only different thin on locking tuners).
I personally saw no difference whatsoever
I don't think there is, I've certainly not noticed any and not suffered neck dive with any of my guitars. All I said was there were people who were concerned about it.