Wrapping strings with locking tuners?

rocknrollrich

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
I will wrap one or two winds on the high E and B. Those two strings can slip on me when I'm string stretching them. The others are thick enough gauge, so I just pull through and lock them.

Never had any issues doing this, and in fact, I believe ernie ball recommends doing a wrap even with lockers.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
I don't think there is, I've certainly not noticed any and not suffered neck dive with any of my guitars. All I said was there were people who were concerned about it.
Ok, i just think this is a totally ludicrous idea that locking tuners would cause neck dive. Have they considered that by not having 3 turns of string wrapped around the post the headstock is actually lighter.
Its just people that want to make themselves feel good when they dont have locking tuner. One of the best investment I made is changing for locking tuners on my PRS

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
One full wrap on the wound strings, at least two wraps on the unwound. Not only does it reduce the tension at the bite point exponentially (it's called "the capstan equation"), but it makes getting the pickguard on and off easier during modding setups and enables drop tuning without risking running out of string.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
My Grover 502Cs weigh about an ounce (28g) more in total, than a set of standard Rotomatics..
So I can’t imagine any guitar being light enough to suffer even minor balance issues.
Have you tried in on an SG? Just curious because a lot of people on the ESG sister site complain about neck dive with the Grover rotomatic and Grover lockers.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
What? You guys don’t buy the special strings with the heavy ball end to compensate for the weight of locking tuners?
Few things are as ludicrous as neck dive because of locking tuners.
If it happens you really didn’t buy the proper tuners

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Internet BS. I have yet to see any neck dive due locking tuners. I even did a comparison last year about it and weighed out several sets. Believe it or not, a set of locking tuners were the lightest set in the bunch. Granted, I did not weigh every set there os but what I had on hand that were loose and didn't need to remove from a guitar. The heaviest set was also a set of lockers.
The difference in weight is completely negligible.
Just because you havent personally seen it doesn't mean it's BS. I've read about multiple people who were worried about it or though it got worse with locking tuners. I can't point to a specific example without googling but there are plenty.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Just because you havent personally seen it doesn't mean it's BS. I've read about multiple people who were worried about it or though it got worse with locking tuners. I can't point to a specific example without googling but there are plenty.
I still call BS. Between 1 and two ounces doesn't cause a guitar to become so neck heavy that it causes a person's hand to cramp or their arm to hurt the way most people say it does when they make those claims. If it really does then I would politely suggest a gym membership.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
I still call BS. Between 1 and two ounces doesn't cause a guitar to become so neck heavy that it causes a person's hand to cramp or their arm to hurt the way most people say it does when they make those claims. If it really does then I would politely suggest a gym membership.
I think you are wrong with your ounces, because your guitar has to have tuners, with a shaft and a hole in it. The difference with locking ones is just the locking nut, so how much do 6 locking nuts weigh?
How much does a headstock tuner weigh?
If someone’s guitar is neck heavy with locking tuners, this person does not have enough strength to press the strings to play a chord

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I think you are wrong with your ounces, because your guitar has to have tuners, with a shaft and a hole in it. The difference with locking ones is just the locking nut, so how much do 6 locking nuts weigh?
How much does a headstock tuner weigh?
If someone’s guitar is neck heavy with locking tuners, this person does not have enough strength to press the strings to play a chord
I agree with you but I'm not wrong. I did a comparison last year and weighed 6 sets of tuners. (I posted a link to that thread earlier)
The lightest weight set, believe it or not, was a set of locking Sperzel tuners. The heaviest were a set of Schaller lockers. The difference from lightest to heaviest was around 5 ounces total IIRC. The difference between the non locking sets and most locking sets was less than 2 ounces. I also weighed them just as they would be in the headstock so if they had set screws to hold them straight they were on the scale too.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Have you tried in on an SG? Just curious because a lot of people on the ESG sister site complain about neck dive with the Grover rotomatic and Grover lockers.
That's because SG's are a very poor guitar design. It's not the fault of the tuners.

JMO/YMMV

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
That's because SG's are a very poor guitar design. It's not the fault of the tuners.

JMO/YMMV
Such a poor design it's been in continuous production, more or less, for sixty plus years, is Gibson's best ever seller, is / was the preferred guitar of so many highly successful musicians, has inspired numerous lookalikes...

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
I do one or 2 wraps so the strings don't break if I decide to tune down to something other than standard tuning.

Without wraps, the high e breaks 95% of the time when I try to tune back up. So I use a wrap or two on that tuner and 1 wrap on the rest.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Such a poor design it's been in continuous production, more or less, for sixty plus years, is Gibson's best ever seller, is / was the preferred guitar of so many highly successful musicians, has inspired numerous lookalikes...
I did say JMO/YMMV.

I think the SG is one of the worst of all of the "classic" designs, due to terrible balance, awkward control placement, and a weak neck joint.

It's only my opinion, and that's worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)