Writing lyrics for the first time

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
Backstory:
Several years ago (more than a decade) I came up with a pretty good chord progression which I saved to my lopping pedal. I went back and overdubbed a bass line onto it and saved it.

The looping pedal has been stored away for a long time and I recently brought it back out to work on a song I’d like to learn and found all these saved loops that I had forgotten about, including the one mentioned above. The problem is I don’t remember how to play it so I have to sit down and relearn something I have already created.

Today at work I was playing that loop in my mind while doing paperwork and some words just starting coming to me. Don’t know why but it’s obviously the last verse of the song. Wrote it down, finished my paperwork, and then went back to the song. I now how the last verse and the next to last. Working backwards to the beginning.

All I want now that I’m home from work is to go into my jam room and work on this but dad responsibilities come first.

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
Many schools of thought on how to write great song lyrics. Check out the book series "Songwriters On Song Writing"

One commen theme among the songwriters I admire is if you're going to be a songwriter you need to write. Do it everyday, even if it's just for 10 minutes. After years of doing it you might start getting good at it. And don't write in a vacuum. Open your self up to constructive criticism by folks who have been doing it for a while, and don't get discouraged if you receive negative comments. And of course enjoy the journey

Seamus OReally

Outta here
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Way out west
Good advice on songwriting from Joni Mitchell via Robben Ford: He once asked her for advice, and she said, “go through your lyrics looking for ordinary phrases and think of more interesting ways to say the same thing.”

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
Good advice on songwriting from Joni Mitchell via Robben Ford: He once asked her for advice, and she said, “go through your lyrics looking for ordinary phrases and think of more interesting ways to say the same thing.”

"Oh you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet
Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
Oh I would still be on my feet

Join Mitchel