WTF is this gold Strat? Totally homemade?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by neandrewthal, Sep 13, 2021.

1. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Maybe it really *IS* made of gold!!!

[​IMG]

neandrewthal likes this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Have you looked at the neckplate, just out of curiosity?

neandrewthal likes this.
  3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Another nice one; your father had some excellent taste in Strats.

I can think of one reason for the lack of serial number - I think this would have shipped from Fender with standard nickel/chrome hardware and someone along the way replaced the factory hardware with gold hardware. Since the serial number is on the neck plate of an AVRI it would have been on the original chrome one; the gold replacement would be blank. Also 1998 was a transition year for AVRIs; they got a "refresh" in the middle of the year which could account for the somewhat longer time gap between body and neck dates for that era of Fender production.

neandrewthal likes this.
  4. neandrewthal

neandrewthal Strat-Talk Member

I can only find pictures of 1999 ones online in Aztec Gold and they have silver hardware. Could it be that the 1998 was extra rare and came with gold or all the hardware has been changed? If someone did that I don't see why they wouldn't leave the original parts in the case though. They did in fact do that for the 3 way selector switch. According to fuzzfaced they came with a 3 way switch installed and a 5 way switch on the side. Mine has the 3 way with solder blobs on it in the case and 5 way installed. The weird thing is the 3 way has a gold shaft while the 5 way is silver.

5. neandrewthal

Ok crossed with some posts. The neckplate is blank and gold. Damn I thought none of them had serial numbers. So now there is some evidence that the hardware was changed.

6. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I think it's a phony. Copyright violation. Dangerous to even keep something like that in your house.

Better send it to me so that I can have it properly disposed of.

neandrewthal likes this.
  7. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Yes I also find it very strange that someone would get every single piece of gold hardware(all screws and even the trem ashtray cover) to modify this and keep it in unplayed condition. Without keeping the original.

Gold hardware was a option so maybe someone just swapped out the gold neck plate with serial number for a generic gold neck plate blank to keep it truly vintage looking. Then again why not keep the only serial # for the guitar?

neandrewthal likes this.
  8. neandrewthal

I found what may be the original bridge and I remember seeing tuners that could have been the right ones when searching through his pile of parts. He also had all kinds of back plates but they are in storage far..far away from me right now. It could be that he had all the original parts together and someone came along and sorted it or maybe he just didn't bother keeping it all together because he knew what was what.

So you say gold hardware was an option like you could just order it from the factory like that for extra cost? I would expect it must have cost quite a bit more if so if hardly anyone else got gold hardware.

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

If I'm remembering the 1999 AVRI '62 Strat I had back then correctly the 3-way had a gold/brass looking shaft and the 5-way had the silver/chrome looking shaft. I think that was just the part Fender was using for the AVRIs back then, not something that matched the hardware.

neandrewthal likes this.
  10. Intune

Gold hardware was just a option. It may have cost a bit more but in today’s works it doesn’t. I’ve seen a few 89 strat reissues with factory gold hardware and a blank neck plate. So maybe they just used what was left 10 years later type deal or a company specifically requested gold hardware

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guid...ted-edition-57-reissue-stratocaster-1989-gold

This one has gold with no serial neck plate, look through the pics

https://reverb.com/ca/p/fender-hle-limited-edition-57-reissue-stratocaster-gold-1989

neandrewthal likes this.
  11. neandrewthal

Great, thanks! And those ones should have had a serial on the neckplate if it was the normal chrome one?

12. Intune

I really don’t know. That one I posted the link too has no serial just like yours, it’s a 89 57 reissue though so maybe gold didn’t get a serial stamp? I really have no idea why fender does certain things, especially the early reissues

13. neandrewthal

I think I might have to make a leap of faith and decide it's probably factory original gold parts. My reasoning is:

If they were changed then the chief part among the originals to keep would be the backplate with Serial number. I went through all my Dad's loose backplates looking a for a Diamond anniversary backplate for a MiM 60th anniversary Blizzard Pearl I have that has a blank plate for some reason. I wasn't looking for anything but the 60th plate so I could have disregarded one with a serial number but I have a Made in China backplate here with a serial number that I brought home in case I find the guitar it belongs to so if I saw a AVRI back plate with a serial I probably would have brought that with me too.

Intune likes this.
  14. Intune

Yeah exactly. In these cases common sense plays a part in trying to verify something that fender may have done from the start.

The common sense side of me says why would someone go through all the trouble to swap every single bit of hardware to gold with what looks like period correct fender parts, then put it away in a case for what looks like 20 plus years. It’s insanely clean and I think was bought as a collector piece. So yeah why would someone swap parts around like that. It just doesn’t make sense.

Here’s a wrench into things though. All fender reissue strats of that time period(and maybe all) would have counter sunk pickup and switch screws. The ones on your are not countersunk. Both 89 examples I posted do. So were they robbed from a American standard at the time by fender or were they all changed from chrome/nickel plated to gold by your dad?

15. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

I'd be pretty sure the gold parts are after-market.

I had a gold 57' AVRI from 99. It was gorgeous. I've owned six 57 AVRIs, the only one I've got now is a 2TSB from 2003 and is the guitar I'd save from a burning building. The gold one was the only one which was as good as the sunburst I still have.

16. Intune

@neandrewthal What do the saddles have on them for markings. FENDER?

17. Intune

Why do you think they’re aftermarket? I’m not saying you’re wrong I just want to know how you can tell. I’m second guessing because of the pickup/switch screws. Everything else looks good

18. neandrewthal

19. neandrewthal

Close-up of the bridge. Also this extra bridge I have. It appears used. I wonder if it could be the original one. It has a thicker and heavier block than other more modern style spare bridges I have on hand.

IMG_20210913_172949533.jpg IMG_20210913_173039991.jpg IMG_20210913_173045031.jpg IMG_20210913_173103908.jpg

20. Intune

Man it’s hard to say. The closeup of the screws kinda look correct. If you just remove one of the switch screws you can tell if it has a flat bottom or countersunk.

The bridge you have looks correct for a avri but looking at all the screws on the gold tremolo, nothing looks like it’s been touched. Even the jack socket is gold. So again it’s super clean looking to have been swapped around. Maybe your dad started collecting parts to switch out the gold? It just looks way to clean to have been messed with.

Check one of the switch screws though. Flat bottom is not avri fender but possible a fender standard gold hardware screw set at the time.