WTF is this gold Strat? Totally homemade?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by neandrewthal, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

Because I think it's a lot more likely that the original hardware was replaced with easily available aftermarket gold hardware rather than the factory put gold hardware on a gold Strat (never seen by me before on an AVRI) as a request, including a neck plate with no serial number.

neandrewthal, Intune and John C like this.
  2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I did post 2 links of 1989 gold strats with gold hardware. One CS and one avri. Yeah unlikely this one is original with the gold hardware but just because you didn’t see one doesn’t me it didn’t happen. Then you ask why would someone do this, store it away toss the original parts or misplace them but keep the original switch?

1989 custom shop no serial. The headstock doesn’t even have a serial # 7F8FAD3C-3A87-4D7F-83B7-A7FFAD28722D.png

1989 avri in gold with gold hardware. No pics of the neck plate but still gold on gold. 9 years apart from the one in question so I don’t know if that counts. Maybe the pickguard was originally gold on the OP’s and switched to parchment. Still there is something not right and I think one of those things they’ll never find out. 415ECE19-506F-47FB-86FD-C5F481699B3B.png

neandrewthal likes this.
  3. neandrewthal

neandrewthal Strat-Talk Member

Flat bottom screws. I highly doubt my dad would have changed out the gold pickguard if it came with one. He even added a gold pickguard to a white MiM strat - unless he swapped it onto there :eek: I could totally see him going all out with gold parts though. If he did he may have kept the original parts together but they got separated or someone else came along when he didn't have access and thought they were doing a good thing by sorting them into different piles. Like I said before I do remember seeing a set of tuners that could match the silver originals one of these would come with but you'd think I'd remember seeing a backplate with a serial number. I mean when I was quickly looking over all the parts I even flagged a plate with a Made in China Stamp with serial as something of interest.

screw.jpg IMG_20210705_145332653.jpg

Intune likes this.
  4. Intune

Ok so they are definitely not the correct screws. So really he must have had 2 strats side by side at one point and swapped every single part over to have it gold.

When do you think this would have happened? That gold tremolo looks correct for a vintage reissue with the FENDER going in both directions per saddle. So either he swapped with one of his guitars or with someone else.

Start going through his strats and see which one has a countersunk switch screw. Most of his are 90’s strats so they would have the flat bottom screws stock.

Also the correct neck plate for this, the serial # will start with a V

neandrewthal likes this.
  5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

As a few of us have said he might have just bought the full set of gold hardware to go with it and got some matching gold screws along the way. He must have misplaced the original chrome neck plate that would have had the serial number.

That 1989 with the gold anodized pickguard that @Intune posted was a 1989 limited edition that was only around for a couple of years; they were long gone by the time your father's gold AVRI was made in 1998.

neandrewthal likes this.
  6. Intune

Oh I know that’s kinda why I said 9 years later not likely still kicking around the fender shop. Still it’s a avri with gold hardware. So somewhere along the line they did exist. There’s actually a few CS strats in 98 that came with gold hardware.

However the screws are wrong for a vintage reissue so that mystery continues to track down the original hardware.

John C and neandrewthal like this.
  7. beerbelly

beerbelly Strat-Talker

Love the Aztec Gold body, but hate the gold hardware, even though it makes sense.

neandrewthal likes this.
  8. neandrewthal

neandrewthal Strat-Talk Member

If my dad switched all the hardware it was probably sometime in the mid-late 00s. But what makes you think he must have swapped the parts between two Strats side by side? I haven't noticed any guitars to my knowledge that are supposed to have gold parts but are missing them. There is an early 80s "The Strat" in Mary Kaye White that has gold hardware (and I think it is supposed to).

9. Intune

It’s just because of the missing parts if they’re not original. I know for sure the flat bottom screws are not original. I bet if you pulled one of the pickup screws out they will probably be flat bottom as well. Not original. Every vintage USA made reissue will have countersunk screws for the pickups and switch.

Your dad seemed like he took care of his guitars so if he swapped the stock chrome/nickel hardware over completely for the gold hardware from another guitar, that would explain the missing originals.

That extra bridge is period correct for a 1998-2011 avri. So you may come across the tuners or neck plate somewhere. It’s not likely your dad would toss out a neck plate with the only serial # for this guitar. Unless you bought it as is, with the gold hardware.

You can also look in the jack socket to see if solder joints have been messed with.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021