Join Strat-Talk Today

XGP body - build

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by jfgesquire, Sep 10, 2019.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talk Member

I'll post more pics over the next few weeks, but wanted to just start with the body...a guitar fetish XGP in their Daphne Blue.

It looks more green... Like a lacquer clear coat aged, but some '58 Caddy pics do look similar.

The finish has a couple tiny blems, but it was on sale labor day weekend so this and a vintage spec steel tremolo shipped for less than $100.00. I'm sure I'll bang it off the drummer's ride or the bass player's mic stand the first gig anyway, so what's the difference?

I don't know many places you can get that kind of price.

It's supposed to be poplar, but if it is, it's a nice piece of rainbow poplar under the finish.

I hit it with a coat of sealer before I put a coat of shielding paint in the cavities. It made the grain really stand out.

It will end up hopefully looking like everyone else's, like a 1961 with mint guard, slab rosewood with no skunk stripe, etc. One of my favorite looks.

First pic is no editing, no flash, second pic is with a flash, third pic is the first pic, edited so that on my phone it looks just like the guitar...

Wow. What a chameleon color.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

vid1900, CigBurn, Crowcaster and 5 others like this.
  2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Nice color. Please post pics when it's done.

3. TinyTree

TinyTree Strat-Talk Member

Awesome colour!

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sweet color.

5. jfgesquire

Some more progress..

Alnico 5 pickups with nice vulcanized fiber flatwork, all three for $15; and mint green 1960 screw pattern pickguard - all via Musiclily on eBay.

CTS pots, CRL switch and real Fender knobs. All from lowest priced vendors on eBay.

It will be wired for master volume, master tone, blender. For master tone I will start with an orange drop .022 cap, but I'm not afraid to go darker. I love treble, maybe I'll put a "kinman" treble bleed on there, too.

All totaled, not counting the neck, I'm in for about $200. The little parts add up.

Body and trem - $100; tuners - $20; pots - $10; switch - $10; pickups - $15; pickguard - $15; knobs, jack, jack tub, strap buttons, neck plate, back cover - about another $30, maybe a little more.

Goes to show that Classic Vibes really were a bargain if it was the look and sound you wanted.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Norrin Radd, vid1900 and CigBurn like this.
  6. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Haven't had the itch to build anything myself in a while, but that definitely stirs the old pot of partscaster gas. Great looking build so far!

7. jfgesquire

Ok, so here's some soldering done.

I used to have my '83 Strat wired for the middle pickup to have its own volume knob and it was great for stage work, so I'm doing the same on this. (The '83 was put back the right way, even plugged the body jack rout back up.)

It's a pretty straight forward setup.... middle pickup hot wire (yellow) goes to the extra pot, lug 1, then lug 2 back to 2L on the CRL switch... It's not perfect but it works.

1L
    ______1R
    2L
    ______2R
    3L
    ______3R
    4L
    ______4R

Still need wire coming from switch 1R to volume pot, switch 4R to tone pot, ground to claw, and hot and ground to jack...

Does that make sense?

Not my drawing, but it's part of the idea. I probably will add a Kinman treble bleed, too. (Not like the one pictured - parallel, but it's an in-series set-up.)

Here's also a picture of the Standard '83, Master Volume/Master Tone. That's the real basis for this wiring.

And if the pictures are in the right order, the last one is the new one.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.