Yamaha floyd style trem bar?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Willmunny, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I am considering buying this Yamaha super strat.
    Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/XLRpVfkpQgb
    Does any one know how hard a trem arm would be to find?

littlebadboy and JJ119 like this.
  2. Willmunny

Closed the deal on this, will follow up with a post tomorrow. At least 1 more git coming in lol

JJ119 likes this.
  3. JJ119

JJ119 Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations!!
    It appears to be in good condition, and the Dust Bunnies in my wallet were Begging me to go for it.

My only concern would be the
    Trem Arm hole " looks " like it's a bit oblong. Couldn't see too well if it's a
    push in or screw in arm.

MAYBE a Floyd Rose Lo Pro type would be a fairly easy swap if needed???

[ Measurements are in mm ]

Screenshot_20210606-063813_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210606-063757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210606-063737_Gallery.jpg

Definitely a nice guitar you are getting.

Willmunny likes this.
  4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

@JJ119 The Floyd Pro trems are a completely different beast. Ive has two of them and they take a routed body that is different from even the OFR route. I've had to change two of them and bith needed the tail of the route widened on the arm side. Check out post #189 on this page to see what's involved.
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/so-whats-on-your-workbench-now.531704/page-10#post-3964686

@Willmunny yours looks like it will probably be a screw in type. If I am not mistaking, Yamaha used a bridge that was spec'd completely on its own there. It looks to me like it will take a screw in bar. Possibly like a Jackson 2 point bridge.

Willmunny and JJ119 like this.
  5. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I can't see the link but if you tell me the exact model and serial number I will tell you exactly what the trem is.

Willmunny likes this.
  6. Willmunny

Thanks guys, I will follow up this afternoon.
    I did see the trem arm hole looked hogged out. At 150$ it looks like fun

JJ119 likes this.
  7. JJ119

JJ119 Senior Stratmaster

@Believer7713
    Good Catch. Thank You for the Education!!

@Willmunny
    Don't look into a Floyd.
    I wouldn't want to Router the body for it
    either!!
    She's a fine piece of Music Maker.

Willmunny likes this.
  8. Willmunny

Yeah I don't have those skills. I am hoping to find a trem arm lol.
    The meeting is set for later today. Cheers

JJ119 likes this.
  9. Willmunny

Rgx 211 ser# appears to be my15120
    This is a fooking nice guitar
    Super clean, lightweight, small neck, radius seems less flat than I expected, could be a 12"
    Plugged it in and it was already in tune and the pots are smooth and quiet ...but I digress.
    I am going to post a regular NGD post later but here are some pics 20210606_145824.jpg 20210606_145754.jpg 20210606_145817.jpg

10. balston11

Okay you have a very early RGX211 made 15th September 1986 these were made in Taiwan and Indonesia yours is probably Taiwan by the serial number. The bridge is a Yamaha
    RMX II bridge The bad news is you will struggle to get the part you want. Here's some info from a Yamaha forum post that might help a little.

Ok, so here's where my question comes in: I'm not up to this point yet, but it bugs me that I don't have a vibrato arm to use with it if I ever want to. After a few calls with Yamaha, I managed to find out the bridge is called an RMX-II, and the part numbers for the arm is (or was as the case may be) vd810800, and the bushing's part number is qa024200. Those don't help us of course, but I wanted to put this info out there for posterity's sake. Yamaha couldn't give me any information whatsoever, as any part drawings have been long since lost, and the parts were made in japan anyway.

Ideally, someone would know exactly what arm I need and where to get it. Barring that, I'd like to know what length arms work for other people with this type (as size) of guitar. From what I can tell, the rod needs to be 6mm, with a roughly 4.5mm diameter notch. I have no lathe, so I figure a drill and my angle grinder ought to do it. It looks like there should also be a bend upward and inward at roughly 25% from the tip. There's a ton of technical drawings on google images, but there seems to be no standard, and it's just a matter of what feels good.

Willmunny likes this.
  11. Willmunny

The stamp is very faded, I can make out made in Taiwan for sure.
    Too bad about the trem arm. I would never use it much anyway. It's that thing where I prefer a complete guitar.
    I sincerely appreciate your time

12. DrDiederick

DrDiederick Strat-Talker

Great guitar by the way! That one brings back memories.... my younger brother got that axe new for his 15th birthday. It must be around 1992. Actually my younger brother still has that guitar and plays it regularly. The tremolo seems, at first sight, exactly the same as his first RGX. If I recall correctly, it has an engraving something like "Floyd Rose Licenced" although I did not recognise that as a Floyd, looked more like a Kahler Spider. I will have a look next time I visit him. He is totally into those RGX super Strats and I think he knows where to get spare parts for those. I will get back to you.... but that may take some time.

BW
    D

13. Willmunny

Awesome! The depths of knowledge and experience on this forum are second to none. The goodwill is fairly common as well. Cheers to all!

14. balston11

Need to be a bit careful there are at least 5 or 6 different Yamaha made locking bridges several different ones on the RGX range