Join Strat-Talk Today

Yamaha Pacifica 611 series guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by axejock, May 5, 2019.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

Does anyone have any experience with this guitar? It looks like a Strat and carries some very impressive sounding components and construction. My local dealer says they are a great value (of course he would like to sell me one). I certainly don't need another guitar, but this sounds kind of interesting. Thoughts?

2. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I don't have experience the 611. I have owned a couple of lesser Yamaha strats (PAC 112J), and I liked them. They are different, though; mine were lighter, and the necks were noticeably thinner. I found the Fender necks to be more comfortable, but I don't play for speed.

It looks like the 611 is only available in HH? Is that accurate?

axejock likes this.
  3. Gobo Fraggle

Gobo Fraggle Strat-Talker

Have you played it? What did you think?

I tried out a PAC510V, which had really cool specs, but the tuning just wasn't stable and it had a problem with the selector switch cutting out between positions, so I passed. Could've just been the one I tried, though.

axejock likes this.
  4. axejock

I tried one some time ago, but must not have been too impressed, as I didn't pursue it. Now I have seen one in "translucent purple", and that thing looks nice. It has a SD Humbucker at the bridge and a SD P90 at the neck, locking tuners, coil tap, and other cool features. I've found most Yamaha instruments to be very nice (I have an early 80's Yamaha acoustic), but know next to nothing about these new ones. I guess I'm just kicking tires.

5. Gobo Fraggle

They've gotten great reviews, especially for the value. Like everything, try it out first. That's the only way to really tell if you personally will like it.

axejock likes this.
  6. axejock

In general, which version would you folks prefer, the hard tail version or the tremolo bridge version? I have tremolos on all of my Strats, but seldom use them. They are a little more complicated to work with.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Pacificas are well made guitars, easy to play and sound good. I've played quite a few over the years, but never really wanted to buy one.

axejock likes this.
  8. Deathray

Deathray Strat-Talker

I am a Yamaha fan, let’s start there. I have a Pacifica 311. I picked it up used for a very reasonable price. So, if you buy one, be aware their resale isn’t on par with a Fender. That being said, it’s a great value, as a used buy.
    The 311 is the cheaper version of the 611. The p90, and HB are Yamaha’s house brand YGD vs the Duncans. It does still have the locking tuners, and the tusq nut. It is a very comfortable guitar to play, but the one caveat is the narrower nut. I believe the pac series have a 41mm nut. This doesn’t bother me, but YMMV. I find the tones it can get to be very useful. I would say the one weak spot would be the coil tap pot. It feels a bit cheap, and is a little noisy at times, when turning it. The neck has a very comfortable satin feel. Here’s a pic.
    52531A26-C62B-49D7-837B-F26B6416F616.jpeg

savofenno, axejock and Fairlane 63 like this.
  9. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The 611 is astonishingly good value for money you can pick one up for less than an MIM Strat which is ridiculous
    • Body: Solid Alder

• Bridge: Hardtail Bridge with Graph Tech String Saver Saddle Teflon Impregnated (500 times slippier than Graphite)
    • Neck: Maple

• Construction: Bolt-On

• Scale Length: 25 1/2" (648mm)

• Fingerboard: Rosewood

• Radius: 13 3/4" (350mm)

• Frets: 22

• Pickups: Seymour Duncan SP90-1n, Custom 5

• Tuners: Grover Locking Tuner
    Here's mine (along with my 311 for comparison with Deathray's)

yam 611.jpg

311.JPG

savofenno, Deathray and axejock like this.
  10. axejock

Well, I had kind of decided to not buy one of these and build another Strat instead. After thinking about that a while I realized that I already have 11 Strats, 4 Teles, and a Jaguar which makes 16 Fenders, I love them all, but would also like to increase my variety a little more. So, I found a super deal on a new Yamaha Pac611HFM which is a Strat look alike only with SD P90 at the neck and an SD Humbucker at the bridge that is tapped. It has Grover locking tuners and lubricated bridge. It's a hardtail as I just didn't want another tremolo equipped guitar. And what a price..."saved hundreds" off MSRP and the only use the guitar has ever seen is to hang on the wall at this year's NAMM show, It has had no play and will arrive in the original box later this week. AND, it's finished in transparent purple color! These are said to be excellent guitars (most Yamaha instruments are) so I'm really looking forward to it's arrival here on Friday. I will post pictures and first impressions them.
    That will make an addition to my other brand guitars (Gibson, Epiphone, Gretsch. Martin. J3. Ibanez, ESP LTD 35th Anniversary, Yamaha acoustic, PRS Starla). The Yamaha will make 26 guitars, and I REALLY think that might be enough?

savofenno and Deathray like this.
  11. Deathray

Deathray Strat-Talker

You will love it, I can guarantee. The first thing I noticed about my 311 is how good it sounded, even unplugged.
    And, 26 guitars huh? Thank you for mentioning that. I woke up this morning feeling kind of guilty about how many I now have, after purchasing #6 this week. I will see you at the GAS anonymous meeting tonight.

axejock likes this.
  12. cappei

cappei Strat-O-Master

I have a pac112 heavily modiffied. if is not the best, one of the best guitars i've played.

Neck in my pac is really comfy, it should be the same that the one in the 611, according to Yamaha Specs online, basically every Yamaha PAC has the same specs in wood, neck, and such.

611 has a lot of cool features, And I think the bridge pickup its Seymour Duncan pup.

axejock and Seymour Duncan like this.
  13. axejock

GAS Anonymous is an "intervention dream" that never really happens until you run out of money and your guitars are all confiscated and you're are handcuffed, lobotomized, and put in solitary confinement. But even then, you could probably find a way to buy a new guitar!!

Deathray likes this.
  14. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

I have a 611 VFM. The fit and finish are flawless. The mini Grover locking tunes work great. The SD pickups are very high quality, they're hotter than the pickups on my other guitars but I've adjusted. The p90 is everything a good one should be- thick, rich, lots of harmonic content, and breaks up beautifully. A few things that others may struggle with: the nut is narrower than most guitars, if you have thick fingers and play much in first position, it could be an issue. The p90 hums if you have to play close to the amp, a fact of life for a regular p90. The neck radius is way flatter than a typical strat, great for monster bending and shredding but doesn't feel like a Fender neck.

This guitar works well for me. I bought it specifically for playing praise and worship. I need that combo of p90 in the neck for low gain and the tapped trembucker for crunching. It's the first sub $700 guitar I've bought where I don't even need to think about replacing tuners, nut, bridge or pickups. Very comfortable and the finish is thin and flawless. Produced in Malaysia.

axejock likes this.
  15. axejock

Yes, I did notice the flatter neck radius and narrower nut that these guitars have when I tried one quite a while ago. But that did not bother me much, maybe because I was more focused on the workmanship and sound quality of the guitar. It sounds kind of "shallow", but what really made me pull the trigger on this one is the overall looks, color, and the fantastic deal that I got on it. That, and I trust Yamaha to put out great products!

Deathray likes this.
  16. axejock

Here's a photo of the guitar I bought that was a part of the seller's listing. It sure looks nice to me.....I will know for sure tomorrow! Note that it IS a hardtail! Yamaha PacHFM.jpg

savofenno likes this.
  17. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

No the Pacifica numbering system tells you that it isn't. The first number (or first two numbers in a 4 digit number) tells you the series, the higher the number the more expensive the guitar the second number is the number of humbuckers and the third number the number of single coils.

18. axejock

Well, the guitar arrived today. Superbly packed (original box) and simply beautiful to look at and hold/play. BUT, on closer examination, I noticed that the strings were WAY off center to the fretboard!! So much so that using the low E string on the higher frets would cause the string to roll off the edge of the neck!! I have experienced this condition on Fenders before, but none of them was this bad. On those, I simply loosened the neck screws and repositioned the neck to center the strings...this works OK if there is enough room in the pocket to allow such movement. On this new guitar, the "offset" condition is more severe than I have ever dealt with before, so I have informed the seller that the condition is unacceptable. I know that I could fix it, but I sure don't want to void a warranty on a new guitar. The guitar is really nice except for this flaw, and I am very disappointed that the dealer would let such a significant issue get by them. I guess I'll just have to let it sit and await a response from the seller!

19. Gobo Fraggle

That's a shame about the guitar. Hopefully you get it sorted with the seller. Yamahas do have warranties: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/ocp/en_us/support/warranty/guitars/guitars.pdf

axejock likes this.
  20. axejock

Here's a photo that shows just how "uncentered" the strings are. You have to look closely at the photo to see it, but the low E is almost on the edge of the neck and the high E is almost 1/4" inside the lower neck edge. The strings also cross the P90 pup in the same off-center manner. Bummer!

CIMG1023.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.