Join Strat-Talk Today

Yamaha Pacifica 611 series guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by axejock, May 5, 2019.

1. danzigdan

danzigdan Strat-Talk Member

I had a 611 "root beer" finish I believe they call it. Bought it dirt cheap. Nice guitar but for some reason I just didn't bond with it.

axejock likes this.
  2. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

I can see the neck visibly tilted toward the upper horn---if you're lucky you can get some money back for that obvious flaw. That looks like an easy fix to me!

axejock likes this.
  3. Gobo Fraggle

Gobo Fraggle Strat-Talker

I don't think you'd void the warranty trying to center that neck, especially if you've done it before on your other guitars. It looks doable. I'd just make sure to be careful with the pressure and use your bed or couch instead of the floor because you have to put pressure on the tuning pegs, not the underside of the headstock.

I wouldn't adjust it, though, until the seller responds and hopefully refunds you or offers a free return.

Cool guitar, BTW!

axejock likes this.
  4. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I have talked with the seller and they say that if I try to "fix" this myself, it will void the warranty. The only option they gave was to send it back to them at their expense, and they would refund all of my money. I told them that I would think about it over the weekend. I've played this thing quite a bit just as it is through my amp, and its performance and sound is fantastic! The seller does not have another like this to replace it with and I really like the guitar! I'm now leaning toward saying screw the warranty, I'm going to fix the neck! The seller says it was inspected in detail and fully set-up before shipping, so they believe that this condition resulted from some rough handling in shipping. I suppose that is possible, but that would just mean that the neck got bent in relation to the body due to some impact. If that is true, it should be quite easy to just loosen the neck mounting screws (after loosening the strings) and just reposition it back to where it should be. Of course, that would assume that nothing in the neck joint was deformed due to an impact. But even a slight deformation would not be difficult to repair...I've done a lot of them on my Fenders! What do you folks think of this issue. Is saving the guitar worth voiding the warranty?

5. Gobo Fraggle

Gobo Fraggle Strat-Talker

That seller is full of BS. No way shipping caused that, or even rough handling. But, if you really got a good deal, and really like the guitar, keep it. If you paid with PayPal on Ebay, open a claim. You will get some kind of refund, maybe even all your money back. You'll see how fast the seller changes his tune.

axejock likes this.
  6. axejock

Sheesh, I got to thinking about this and the theory that the neck might have got "moved" in shipping. So I got the guitar and just gave a good tug on the neck while holding on to the upper horn. A couple of little noises, and it jumped right back into place! So then, I loosened each neck screw a little bit and did one more tug and got it into "perfect position"! Then I PROPERLY tightened all 4 of the neck screws and it's good to go! I don't know if the screws were too loose or if it really got whammed in shipment, but it is perfect now! And yes, I got the guitar for an absolute steal of a price, so I'm even more thrilled about this (and I really feel no need to make a claim on this). Funny how even us "seasoned" guys can't see through these basic issues some times! So, here are some NGD photos of my new "keeper".

CIMG1016.JPG CIMG1017.JPG CIMG1018.JPG CIMG1019.JPG CIMG1020.JPG CIMG1022.JPG

Textele and Gobo Fraggle like this.
  7. axejock

Not to carry on too much about this guitar, but after using it/playing it quite a bit today, I have to say that it is a nice instrument. To me, it looks and plays so much like a Stratocaster, I'm surprised Fender didn't go after Yamaha for infringement. The thing actually fits perfectly in my Fender guitar cases, and literally seems like a Strat clone! And I got it as an "open box" special since the guitar had been displayed at the NAMM show this year to show off the color. But it was not a demo unit that got played at the show and it arrived here in its original packaging with all tags and case candy, including the wrench pack. It really is brand new and a very enjoyable axe. I sure didn't need it, but glad I went for it!!

8. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Really surprised at the fault Yamaha's quality control is second to none and all guitars are properly set up before reaching the retailers. Something must have happened to cause this, however all is well now so enjoy the guitar.

Gobo Fraggle and axejock like this.
  9. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Update: I posted earlier in this thread.

About the neck alignment. After playing my 611 for a couple months and doing set up work, I noticed that the strings had shifted a little closer to one side of the fretboard. Being a partscaster novice, I didn't hesitate to slightly loosen the screws and wrench the neck a bit to get it back in line before retightening them. No problems since.

I read a lot of reviews before I bought this guitar and heard a few nightmare stories about customers having the guitar show up in a single layer battered-up corrugated cardboard box with no internal padding or packing material. I was shocked because my $400 Epi and Gretsch's arrived packed extremely well and Yamaha generally has an excellent reputation. Since I need a strat case anyway, I had MF pack it in a nice Gator case with TSA locks. I figured they'd have to impale it with forklift to hurt that baby. It arrived in flawless condition.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    axejock likes this.
  10. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

I have a heavily-modified 112 that I bought new decades ago. They are really pretty nice guitars. Just be aware that while basic components such as pickups are interchangeable with strats (or other inspired-by guitars), the neck and pickguard mounting dimensions are not.

11. axejock

Mine arrived double boxed and was in absolutely perfect condition! All case candy and wrenches were there and except for the neck misalignment, it was a good experience. And as noted above, the neck alignment was simply due to loose neck screws and it only took me a few minutes to fix it once I figured out what was going on. It is great guitar now, one that is very capable and enjoyable! I haven't noticed any "hum" from this P-90 or my other guitar that has 2 P-90's on it, but I have heard of others that have that problem. I probably escape the problem because I play in my practice room with only incandescent lights. I suppose if I really cranked it up that I would definitely hear some hum, but My old ears can't stand that sort of volume. And I know that it is different than a strat, but it sure fits nicely in a new strat case that I just happened to have around.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.