Join Strat-Talk Today

Yamaha Pacificas

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by balston11, May 30, 2019.

1. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have started some web pages on Yamaha Pacificas here http://www.alston-family.co.uk/pac/pacintro.php
    long project some only a portion done so far main reasons for posting
    Some of you may be interested
    Someone may be able to cast some light on where the 1200 series are made
    A long shot this but there is a Pacifica 621MLF Michael Lee Firkins signature model and there is virtually no information on this guitar available anywhere does anyone have one or has had one and can let me have any information or pictures of this.

Exhead, Dougeryb, alainvey and 2 others like this.
  2. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Such an underrated brand of guitar.

3. balston11

Lots more work done now details of all models from 600 to the top of the range comments extra information etc appreciated

4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

didn't Warmoth supply necks at some point?

JB74 likes this.
  5. balston11

They did indeed and some had Warmoth bodies

6. HT_Gain

HT_Gain Strat-Talk Member

7. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Good work Bill! Already learned something about designations from the page :)

I have my 611 vfm still - not the most obscure model but let me know if you want to know anything about it.

I guess P90s count as single coils for designation purposes.

8. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-Talker

My 1st real guitar was a used black Pacifica 012.

Great guitar to start out.

Still lives at my mums house.

alainvey likes this.
  9. davidKOS

davidKOS back to musical work Strat-Talk Supporter

My Variax is basically a Yamaha Pacifica SSS Strat-style w/ 2 controls knobs. When the digital modeling is off, it is a fine Strat-type guitar, as I discovered one gig when the battery went dead unexpectedly!

Yamaha instruments are often very under-rated in the guitar world.

I also have an amazing Yamaha BX-1 bass...not very valuable except that it sounds great in several modes and genres.

They make a lot of high-grade instruments at those factories.

Textele likes this.
  10. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

I love my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica! Holds all my guitars and amps perfectly! o_O

Silvercrow likes this.
  11. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

I still have a 112M satin cherryburst that I bought sometime in the previous century. I converted it to a Wilkinson 2-point bridge (seemed like a good idea at the time, regret it now ...) and Custom Shop Texas Specials with push-pull pots for various hot-rod wiring options. The A-string tuner is about dead, so I need to find a new set to fit it. I'm currently using it as a Strat pickup test bed, but maybe I'll put a Pearly Gates in the bridge eventually.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  12. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

I don’t like when a company tries to tweak the S style guitars. The body to me can only look good with the fender specs, make aesthetic changes with the rest

13. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's a matter of taste... I very much like that details change from brand to brand, model to model. My TTB Squier Frankencaster to me is just a perfect looking strat, but it's too purdy for some music I play. The Iby GIO suits better sometimes as does my old Iby Roadster Rat Strat.

14. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The only 'S-style' guitar I dislike is the PRS. and it's because of the headstock. I know it's personal.

They all play well, at least the ones I have picked up, but for me, that headstock has been and always will be a hideous offensive looking POS.

And I'm OK with that. I can live with my own aesthetic choices as being legitimate reasons to not buy.

I think PRS colour choice and excessive flamed top usage also detracts from their lineup - again, all aesthetics and personal preference.

But that silver sky.... no that is nothing special. pickups are bland, and it has nothing appealing to me from a playing perspective. Kind of like the guy who endorses it.

Pacifica. probably the highest quality affordable entry-level instrument that's out there (at least here in oz). That's actually unfair to say about the instrument itself, because it's well-beyond entry-level when you compare it to the squires, gio's and others in the same price bracket - which are classified as 'entry-level' marketed instruments in the industry.

I'd buy a pacifica 611vfm before I bought a squier VM or similarly priced indo-made Ibanez RG. way better quality and value for $.

15. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

There’s nothing sacred to me about the shapes and specs per se. Fender has changed a lot too.

What I don’t like is when they deviate from the mounting specs.

16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

There is a Pacifica at the pawn shop up the road that has a rail pickup in bridge position. It calls to me when I am in that shop. I talk sternly to it: I have too many guitars to take you home.

Deathray likes this.
  17. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I just bought a new Yamaha 611 HMT (Hardtail) in Translucent Purple. I got an absolutely unbelievable deal on it, and the guitar has to be among the nicest, affordable guitars in most respects that I have ever owned. And I actually own 16 Fenders, both MIMs and MIAs.....this guitar does not need to take a second seat to any of those. I'm sure it could be picked apart by some, but for just pure value, workmanship, and capability, it is very hard to beat this thing!!

CIMG1019.JPG CIMG1022.JPG

JB74 and davidKOS like this.
  18. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

In Oregon right now. Going to a graduation on Saturday, doing some sight seeing/ farting around until then. Rental company didn't have the vehicle I reserved months ago, gave us a Chrysler Pacifica. Get the Yamaha, but not the Chrysler.

JB74 likes this.
  19. davidKOS

davidKOS back to musical work Strat-Talk Supporter

I rather like the slightly small Yamaha body shape.

20. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Another happy 611 VFM owner here. My first p90 instrument. The p90 mixed with the tapped trembucker has a nice stratish quality to it. Impeccable workmanship. Not even considering upgrading anything (and I like to mod)

Attached Files:

balston11 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.