Join Strat-Talk Today

Yep... he went there (John Mayer's new PRS signature model)

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Nate D, Apr 11, 2017.

1. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that is the case - the Chesapeake line was supposed to be Knagg's personal line within the PRS family; when PRS ultimately decided against producing the Chesapeake line Knagg's amicably parted ways with PRS to found his own company, taking the designs with him.

Nate D and RevBillyG like this.
  2. mmorgatto

mmorgatto Strat-Talk Member

I disagree. I started to listen to him later than most people around 2014 and although i don't like his first 2 albums everything continuum and after i think its great including the last one. really managed to turn me from a more 80's hard rock type of guitarist to a soft blues kind of vibe. I think most people just don't know the difference between his 15 sec radio version solo and the solos he plays live. About the guitar itself i don't really care about what artists play but i do find it funny... either way he spends most of his concerts with a strat in his hand (fenders) so my guess is fender doesn't really care

Nate D likes this.
  3. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Prs headstock is way better designed thatn fenders. It has a point. But it looks ugly IMO.

Nate D likes this.
  4. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Badass. Enjoy the tunes you enjoy man. I don't swim in your toilet so I'm not gonna piss in your pool. :)

5. MisterOwl

MisterOwl Strat-Talk Member

If there was ever a question about whether or not Mayer is still a Strat guy, this pretty well answers it. He is. I, for one, was surprised he didn't go Strat with Dead & Co., given that Garcia played a Strat for a long time.

Nate D likes this.
  6. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

I'm going to have to renege a little. .. I kinda like the stratish look, if it looks like this one. Even with the 3x3 headstock

[​IMG]

Nate D likes this.
  7. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

I just saw this Brent Mason model. Evidently they've been making them at least since 2015

Nate D likes this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I thing the new Mayer guitar is a true Strat shape with a 25.5" scale length, not the PRS shape used on the Brent Mason. That shape goes back to 2 models that came out about 6-7 years ago called the "NF3" and the "DC3" - the main differences being that the "NF3" had 3 of PRS's "Narrowfield" humbucker pickups (mini-bucker sized pickups) and the "DC3" had 3 single coil pickups. The Mason model came later; it has slightly larger minibuckers than the original Narrowfields called "408" pickups that have coil split switches (Narrowfields were not split-able) and the DC3/305 single coil in the middle.

Also the DC3/NF3/Brent Mason are technically 25.25" scale - in-between PRS's normal 25" scale and 25.5" scale.

albala likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.