Yngwie Malmsteen strat

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by 1313, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Originally, without opening the photos, I thought that it was a fake, but now I am leaning real.

I've had three of them and I know the Chinese fakes. Fakes usually don't have bullet truss rods and often have 22 frets. Scallops look too good.

PG doesn't look like a typical fake. Tuners look good. Looks like it has the brass nut.

The serial number thing may be a problem though. Need to look at that for sigs.

If it's a fake, it's a good one.

Can you post more photos? Pull the neck and take photos of the neck heal markings, etc, same with the body. Pull off the pickguard too.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    3bolt79 and J4ME5 like this.
  2. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

I do agree – all I'm saying is, the neck IS coming back as an American Special neck – that's what the serial number says, not me. With regards to the bullet truss – again, I agree – but if one was wanting to create a YM Strat, one could conceivably – and foolishly – rip the walnut plug out, and stick a bullet truss in there – I have seen it done, and if you look around that area – it's rough as hell. I'm not suggesting that this is the case – I'm only trying to figure out why the neck bears the serial number from an American Special. Of course – it could be the case that whoever created the guitar, copied the serial from an American Special, got a decal made up – and tried to... I don't know – I can't explain it.

Again – if one was creating a YM replica, let's say for arguments sake – with an American Special neck – one would sand away the original decal, and be using an aftermarket one, which could explain the numerous inconsistencies contained within the decal. I don't know – again, with the neck coming back as an American Special – the waters are muddy as hell, I just think it's possible the neck *could* be real – but I only think this because it's coming back from Fender as indeed an American Special neck. And I just wonder *why* somebody would deliberately seek out a serial number for an American Special neck – to place it on a YM Strat, it doesn't make sense.

With regards to curves and shapes – again, I don't necessarily disagree – it does look a bit odd, but could that be the angle of the photo? I don't know. Also – the headstock appears to be a matte finish, not gloss – which would line up with the specs for the Special. I don't know what's going on here – but I do think it's at least a possibility that the neck *may* be original.

drp146 and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Michael919

Another potential problem is the hole for a second string tree. YJM only has one.....

BTW, American Special has 22 frets, this has 21.

There are funny shadows and distortions in the photos.

4. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

And the Special has two...

drp146 and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

OK – good point. Hmmmm. Any thoughts on the serial number?

drp146 likes this.
  6. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

Knobs arent Fender either.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talk Member

It is definitely fake, if you zoom in on the scallops they look like crap, they’re uneven from the bass side to the treble side. The bullet is really long and where it comes out of the headstock is really open, it should be tighter there. The body and the color are wrong as well. The vintage white on the YJM is more cream colored, and the contours are off.

drp146 and CB91710 like this.
  8. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

Right – I'm going to have to concede on this one then, if the Special has 22 frets (which it does...) – then the neck is not from an American Special. It's pretty conclusive! I can't get my head around why somebody would put THAT serial on it though... – but I guess, I shouldn't – nor need not try :) !

I am humbly bowing out of this one gang – good luck :) !

drp146, Willmunny and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Michael919

I reserve judgement until I see more and clearer photos. Things are distorted.

Serial number is maybe the biggest red flag. They usually start with US....

It looks like Dunlop 6000 wire to me. Unusual for a fake.

If it's a fake, IMO, it's a good one.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Yeah but for all we know that strat might still be a fabulous player and really well put together. You never know and potentially there's a guitarist for every instrument. I'm not saying though that young lady isn't also well put together... (Edited to reflect this sentence no longer makes sense now the picture quoted has been removed)

I've got a Squier Affinity somebody else put a Fender decal on and with my rather more useful genuine Fender mods since it now plays fantastically (mods include all electrics, pups, plastics, tuners, bridge assembly etc. and a bone nut). I wouldn't let it go even if offered it's original collective new parts value plus profit and I'd rather have it than say a genuine old Fender MIM standard because it feels both much more 'mine' and more individual. Ultimately also on a par quality wise since I've done my own QC to my own demanding standards (rolled fretboard edges, perfect frets, smooth satin finish to the back of the neck now glossy from use, the right size height adjustment screws and my best set up etc).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    drp146 and Michael919 like this.
  11. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

I think it is 100% a fake YM Strat – it's just the neck I was suggesting could be original, and the body fake.

I mean (I know I have technically bowed out!...) – is it conceivable that in order to make the YM Strat replica convincing – the builder removed the 22nd fret, a quick Google search suggests this IS a done thing, and quite common? And the Dunlop 6000 IS a Jumbo fret – like the Special!?

I don't know :) !

12. Michael919

6000 is Super-jumbo. 6100 is Jumbo. YJM uses 6000.

13. Michael919

To try scallop frets for the first time, I did a project with a used Bullet. I scalloped it, upgraded pretty much everything and put in some really old HS-3's. I loved that thing. It was amazing. I don't know why I ever sold it.

14. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

Yes, but to be fair (to me...) – you did say it 'looks like' 6000, not that it was 6000.

I'm just trying to keep an open mind here. The serial number says it's an American Special neck, not me.

15. Michael919

For sure it is a possibility. Seems like a lot of work to not do it all right though.

J4ME5 likes this.
  16. Michael919

For reference, this is what the fakes look like 99% of the time, although they normally have the PG screw near the switch in the wrong spot. This one may have been replaced:

i-wG3w53L-XL.jpg

17. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

I know, I just can't get my head around the serial number – it's that what has me all worked up :) !

Michael919 likes this.
  18. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

China kicks them out by the thousands and sells them for anywhere from $150 to $400.
    Being counterfeit, they are worthless and illegal to sell.
    If they were simply copies with a 3rd party name, worth anywhere from $80 to $200.

Hint: Don't trust any guitar from Aliexpress

drp146 likes this.
  19. CB91710

Nope.
    American Special never carried the bullet truss rod adjuster. That is a feature of the MiM Classic 70s series. The Malmsteen signature is one of the very few exceptions (maybe only?) to have the bullet truss rod on a Corona build.
    I'm honestly surprised to see a Z9 series American Special, as they transitioned from the Highway One to American Special in 2010, so this would be an earlier serial number.
    But notice on the serial number how the Z955 is one font, and the 4019 is another.
    Normally, the Z9 would be one font and the rest would be different.

It's likely a "Chender" using a copied serial number.
    I'd be willing to bet that there are a few hundred of these out there, either with the same serial number, or beginning in Z955

drp146 and J4ME5 like this.
  20. CB91710

Here's a real one.....
    Notice the notch on the neck pocket... this is frequently missing from Asian counterfeits.

YJM-Body.jpg
    YJM-Face.jpg
    YJM-Back.jpg