Yngwie Strat- worth it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Chmason85, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

Hey all, I’ve wanted a YJM strat for a really long time and got on the waitlist for one last night. No money put down, but I’ll be in line when they are stocked back up, possibly next month. My question is for the YJM owners out there, is it worth the money? It looks pretty hot rodded and seems as though no detail was left untouched, but this will be the most expensive strat I’ve ever bought if I do follow through and just want to see if it’s worth the current $1899 price tag…

2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Is your retirement plan funded? House paid off?

3. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Life is short. If you wanted one for a while take the plunge.
    I would suggest playing one first to see if that model is a good match for you

4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

If all of your high interest debt is completely paid off, then yes, absolutely get one.

Make sure you get a discount from your rep.

Never pay full price for a guitar

5. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

Of course it is worth it. Anything Fedner makes for that kind of money is worth it. But I would, as above, play it first. I diddled around with a few at the Fakktorie and man that scallop bit is odd. Doesn't work for me because I am Kung Fu grip, but you might love it. And, you might not. So try one and if it works for you, jomp een eet.

rct

Chmason85 and rolandson like this.
  6. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

I only like signature guitars named after musicians;)

Stevn, StratUp and Chmason85 like this.
  7. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

Specs look great if that's your style. You always pay a bit more for the name, but if you can afford it and that's your jam, why not?

IF you've never played a scalloped fretboard, I would spend some time with one before dropping 2k on a guitar with it. I never have.

You could always find a decent MIM throw in the YJM pickups and an American tremolo and be a lot of the way there for much less $$

Stevn and Jimi Lightning like this.
  8. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

If you love it get it

Chmason85 likes this.
  9. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

it's a great guitar although it will leave you with a dilemma. Having one scalloped neck guitar while your other guitars are not can be difficult to adjust to back and forth. I'd get it anyway HA!

Chmason85 and Stonetone like this.
  10. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

great guitar, and I think based on current prices I really think it's not ridiculously expensive for such a unique guitar.

But, if all you want is a scalloped neck to do some fast solos, you can get one at Warmoth for around $400.
    I really wanted a YJM strat, but they never made one for lefties outside of custom shop, so I had Warmoth make one for me. Arguably, the Warmoth neck was even better because I got to choose compound radius, neck width and ss frets (all of it for under $400)

upload_2021-7-28_15-41-24.png

Stevn, Chmason85, Ruscio and 3 others like this.
  11. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

I definitely think you should try one before you buy.

I own one, it’s a very well made guitar and enjoyable to play.

I’m fine with the scalloped neck, I have a light touch on the fretboard anyway - but having had time to really play the guitar, I haven’t become the scalloped evangelist that some turn into, and I’d happily sell the guitar and not really miss it.

So yes, they’re quality instruments, but just be sure it’s what you want.

12. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

^^ what he said.
    If you don't have the chance of playing one before buying, maybe buy from a big box store that is return friendly.
    I love it and would recommend to a friend, but scalloped fretboard is NOT for everyone.

But answering your question more directly, I really think the YJM strat is well made and is worth the price when you compare it with the rest of Fender american lineup

Chmason85 and Ruscio like this.
  13. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

If you know how to set up a guitar, you can get one from Aliexpress for $190 shipped to your door in 8 days.

Play it, make sure you love the scalloped fretboard.

If you love it, order the Fender and use the china crapper to throw over your head and catch during an epic solo.

If you hate it, sell it on CL, part it out or drag it behind the car in your next music video

Chmason85 and Ruscio like this.
  14. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Well at that price I guess one should try it out but then again if its what you want then go for it
    All my current 3 guitars I bought are absolutely awesome and I ordered them without ever trying them out

Ruscio likes this.
  15. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i only have to like the guitar and be in my budget.

make sure you can try it first or be able to return it if it is not for you.

16. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Strongly agree with all of this. I've had two YJM strats, they're awesome, but I've come to prefer a Warmoth scalloped neck because you get to choose so many specs. For example, I prefer 22 frets, compound radius, SS frets, thin profile. You can get whatever you want.

On the other hand, if you know what you want, the YJM strat is it, and you have the money then yeah, it's worth definitely worth it. As others have said, if you have any doubts it's a pretty big gamble. If you don't bond with the scalloped neck, you'll take a hit reselling it. Normally there are plenty around used, so you could try that out and have much less to lose if you decide to resell, but these days who knows what's available even used?

Good luck with this search and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Stonetone and Chmason85 like this.
  17. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

Thanks for all the responses! I’m still on the waiting list and a bit on the fence. I will be getting it from sweetwater so if it’s not a fit I can definitely return. The funny thing is that I’m an Yngwie fan, but outside of that don’t really listen to any metal and have no desire to ply like him. I’m more into surf stuff and feel like this could be the ultimate sleeper surf axe!

18. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Senior Stratmaster

You could also check out the Blackmore sig Strat. Scalloped board and considerably less money.

Chmason85 likes this.
  19. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

The question is: Is it a scalloped fretboard or a scal-loped fretboard? (British posters would know best)
    In New England it must be a scALLoped fretboard.

KillingTone likes this.
  20. Eastwood

Eastwood Strat-Talk Member

Definitely try to get a change to play it first. I can't handle even jumbo frets, never mind scalloping.