Yngwie Strat- worth it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Chmason85, Jul 28, 2021.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

There is nothing in the current Fender USA/MIM catalog that is worth the full asking price to me. It’s all a matter of opinion. The market is set at 2021 prices, and my brain is still thinking 2011 prices are a little too high.

last time I bought a brand new 1k fender, I was disappointed. I’m sticking with new great deals (my 300 dollar Gretsch) or used Fenders from now on. You’re not getting a whole lot more for the extra nearly thousand dollars.

just one opinion from a cheapskate.

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Ordering from Sweetwater you should have the option to return if not satisfied.

The feel of the scalloped neck is something you will need to decide for yourself - if you are a heavy-handed player it may be a struggle as it is easy to fret out of tune with scallops.

The funny thing about scallops is that, in and of themselves, they don't make you really play faster - what they force you to do is lighten your touch, and this is where any increase in speed is gained. In fact, per Yngwie it wasn't about the speed at all - it was to make bends and vibrato easier - in his words, without scallops there is "tooo mooch woood" under your fingers.

The fact that you are not really into metal other than Yngwie shouldn't be an issue with that guitar - his pickups are actually lower output (back when he used DiMarzios they definitely were.)
    His approach is high action, low output pickups, slamming the front end of a non-master Marshall with a booster (DOD OD250 back in the day.)

Michael919 and Chmason85 like this.
  3. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

I got the version that was made around 2007 (in case anything's changed). I respect YJM's skills, but I'm not a fan-- I bought it because I was curious about the scalloped neck, and put that on a favorite guitar. Other than the neck, it's just like any other Fender guitar-- it won't live up to its potential until it's set up.

The 2nd best feature was that the body was very light (I wasn't fond of the color, a personal preference). I replaced its bridge with a Highway 1 hybrid bridge (narrow string spacing with vintage body mounting screws)-- otherwise, the high E ran too close to the fretboard edge and would occasionally fall off while I was playing.

It came with DiMarzio YJM pickups, they were okay, but the neck ended up on a guitar with Kinman's. Current YJM Strats come with SD YJM Fury pickups.

The scalloped neck-- you may hate it at first and it may take a while to get acclimated. I liked it, and have since scalloped 6 other necks-- I like it because it gives great control over bending. It won't make you play faster-- practice does that. If you don't adapt, you'll probably hate it and will sell the guitar.

The neck itself is nice, with a headstock truss rod adjuster and vintage-style "F" tuners that work better than the actual vintage ones from the '60s-'70s. The neck attaches with 4 bolts (not wood screws). YJM's got a thing for brass nuts, but IMO they're not really an improvement. I replaced it with an Earvana Compensated nut (it's a good-performing nut, no matter what you think of its "compensated tuning" feature.)

So it's really all about the scalloped neck. You could get into scalloped necks much more cheaply (eBay has lots of very affordable knock-offs for sale, and there's Warmoth, and Fender's Blackmore Strat). For me, at the time, I wanted a Fender-decaled MIA Strat-- again, that's purely a personal vanity.

The only other important point is the bridge: I've been playing for decades and am pretty adaptable, but I can't put up with the high E-string falling off the neck. I've had other USA-spec bridges, but this one in combination with the neck was the worst. So there's a resale value-killing mod right there.

I hope this was helpful in your decision-making...

4. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

I love the first Gen YJM strats with the small headstock and Rosewood boards. They didn't have gargantuan frets and deep scallops. They are $$$$ now though.

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Less money, but a WAY different guitar.

1. Made in Mexico (yep, $1300 for MIM )

2. Neck radius of 7.25"

3. Only 2 pickups, so you cant quack with it (center pickup is a dummy)

4. Three bolt neck! (blackmoor glues his in place)

5. Plastic nut

7. Strange scalloping, like a ramp

8. Comes with gig bag

You'd have to REALLY like those **features** to justify $1300 for it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Textele and Chmason85 like this.
  6. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

I've had 3: '92 MIJ, '07 MIA and a '11 MIA. They were all top notch quality.

There is something very cool to me about the buttery feel of the frictionless bending and vibrato and the amount of string control / grip. It's something that you need to experience to know if it's for you.

I've also scalloped a few other Strats. Interesting thing: Most of the people who bought them from me were not Yngwie fans, but wanted the scalloped boards. Two were jazz guitarists, one classic blues-rock, another was a young play everything type.

Each knew the scalloped neck it was for them after a few minutes of testing. One thing that they all had in common is that they had a light touch. I could tell by listening to them play and how they quickly adjusted so that no chorded notes went sharp, etc.

7. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I like a deeper scallop

scallop.jpg

StratLover66, jball85 and Michael919 like this.
  8. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

i had the opportunity to play one yjm strat and I loved it. i wanted to steal it, but since im not a thief, i didnt.

Textele, Stonetone and Michael919 like this.
  9. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

that's overkill. might as well use this.
    [​IMG]

Michael919 and vid1900 like this.
  10. Censport

Censport Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I've had a first-gen and a second-gen with the DiMarzios. Liked the guitars, but not the pickups. Haven't tried the SD YJMs yet, but plan to. Also had an MIJ Blackmore. Wish I still had all three. Still have the Schecter, although it looks a wee bit different now.

There was a time when I could play his stuff, but my hands are too old for that now. I've always played more like Gilmour anyway, just not as talented. I like scallops for the easy vibrato and bends. Had a Warmoth neck made for one of my Teles with a 10-16 radius, standard thin profile, 6100 fret wire, and scalloped above the 12th fret. It's wonderful.

I have a light touch, so I can switch between scalloped and normal no problem. Chords are no problem either.

Let us know how you like yours.

PS: $1,899 ain't cheap, but it's a bargain compared to one of his personal guitars.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Chmason85, Michael919 and vid1900 like this.
  11. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

I've owned several. They are great guitars, but on some models the high E string will fall off the edge of the fretboard so watch out for that. I don't like the fact that Fender raised the price on them but it's still a beautiful guitar. As someone said the Blackmore Strat which is what I have is also scalloped for less money.

12. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

I prefere the graded Blackmore scalloping over the Malmsteen, but - it’s two different guitars.

Chmason85 likes this.
  13. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

14. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

I never wanted anything to do with a scalloped neck, just not my cup of tea, nothing wrong with them. Then I saw this, and now I've got crazy gas, as I've been looking for an HSS strat with a floyd, and a maple neck/fretboard.

Take note of the 17th fret and up.

Apologies to the OP for getting off topic, but if it helps, every sig series Fender I've played has been exceptional. Whether it's worth the price tag is up to you.

7fe167c4bc438f5d3f6a543a22afd9a4.jpg

Chmason85 and Michael919 like this.
  15. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

It's just as easy to play a Blackmore Strat as it is a Malmsteen. The sharper radius found on the Blackmore is of no consequence. Once you start scalloping the neck you don't notice the radius anyway. And as someone else noted on the Malmsteen some of them have the high E string falling off the edge which sucks of course. On my Blackmore the high E string stays put.

16. Aqueix

Aqueix Strat-Talk Member

Its a personal preference, personally would go with a high end MIA strat instead since I don't care for the scallop fret thing but its your choice not mine

White Dog likes this.
  17. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Wow, that's radical. I scallop mine about half as deep, which is enough to keep the fingertips from rubbing on the wood (my fingertips don't have a lot of extra meat that overhangs the string).

vid1900 likes this.
  18. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

What is that?

19. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

you only need enough scallop to clear the wood from your fingers. If you need a massive deep scallop you must have gorilla hands.

[​IMG]

20. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

LTD SN1000FR

Michael919 likes this.