Join Strat-Talk Today

You know those parents that are critical of the coaches???

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Wow, DCI is the "Super Bowl" of marching! Some of the pieces top corps play are unbelievable! Good on you dad!

2. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

My son quit soccer last year because of a bossy yelling coach that made in no fun for him, primarily at practices.

I don't blame him - this ain't boot camp or anything

3bolt79 and Dadocaster like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I realize this is a limited interest thread but I am going to keep posting.

The marching band has TWO marching contests tomorrow. One is more prestigious than the other. The contests are 40 miles apart, and depending on whether they make the finals at the more important contest, they may:

Bus 40 miles to big contest and play in prelims
    Bus 40 miles back to lesser contest and play prelims

Then: Wait for word regarding whether they make the finals in the big contest and if they do

Bus 40 miles to big contest and play in the finals

If they don't make the big finals, they will stay at the lesser contest where they are expected to be a finalist.

Guess who is going to drive back and forth too? :D

If they do well in the big contest and make finals, have a good showing, they qualify for the BIG BIG contest later.

3bolt79 and integra evan like this.
  4. Dadocaster

I am super stoked. MARCHING BAND COMPETITION WHOOOOOOO!!!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. Dadocaster

OFF TO CONTEST!!! Whooooooot!!

6. nungesser

nungesser When I became of age my momma sat me down Strat-Talk Supporter

How'd it go?

7. Dadocaster

Another Saturday, another marching contest. At least this one is close to home.

8. Dadocaster

9. Dadocaster

[​IMG]

Fingers crossed, good wishes sent. DO GREAT YOUNGLINGS!!!

bloomz and integra evan like this.
  10. chrimturn

chrimturn Fire in the Wire Strat-Talk Supporter

So just another Big one? Or is it a Big Big one?

11. Dadocaster

This one is a bigger big one. :D

Hell, I have trouble keeping it straight myself. When I was a kid we went to one local showcase kinda event, then UIL and that was that. I think this is the fourth one so far this season?? Maybe fifth.

This is Bands Of America and next week is UIL. If I ever figure it all out, I will report back.

Actually getting off lucky. I only have to drive to Waco. My buddy at work has a band kid same age as mine also in Dallas/Ft. Worth area, they are in St. Louis today for an EVEN BIGGER BOA event. :D

integra evan likes this.
  12. Dadocaster

Interestingly, night before last I got a text from boyo that was a single, popular swear word. I asked him what was up, he responded that he was feeling some stress in anticipation of this big competition. The part that gets lost at times, is the amount of time and effort that these kids put out. In terms of actual time spent, marching band probably puts in more hours that the high school athletes do. They are also competitive and they want to win. There is no way for the star trumpet player to break some tackles take it to the end zone and win it for everyone. It's always all of them together.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    integra evan and chrimturn like this.
  13. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

I know the countless hours put into marching band so I know how he feels. And as the one who was first trumpet, I knew it would take more than my solos to win the competitions...we needed everybody putting in all their effort...the lead trumpet part was meaningless if the rest of the band wasnt supporting. We were in the USSBA and all the bands we competed with were good.
    I had always wanted to get into DCI, but never had the opportunity.

14. Dadocaster

A long time ago, I was 1st trumpet but at a tiny school. Our competition was other tiny schools and was nothing like what my son is doing. I tasted band success my senior year but we did not put in hours the way they do now.

integra evan likes this.
  15. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

Yeah 15 years ago for me - practice every tuesday Wednesday and thursday nights for 3 hours each night during marching season, Friday night football games, Saturday all day at competitions. Lots of time spent.

16. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-Talker

How I look back with fond memories of marching band. I loved it.

17. Dadocaster

Me too. In many ways, I think it's so much fun that it kind of spoils you. You get out into regular life and it's all boring in comparison. Kid talks about being a music educator.

18. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-Talker

That could be a great thing to do. You teach music in the public school system, off weekends, holidays, and all summer so he can gig on weekends and the whole summer. I remember when I was in school all of my teachers were in a band.

19. Dadocaster

Well, damn. They played great the crowd loved them, but a middle of the pack finish and no trip to the finals. Trying not to be a homer dad but a few things that have bothered me are still bothering me:

1. It appears that due to influence from Bands Of America, it's important that at some point all the members of the band lie down as if they are dead/sleeping/paralyzed. Then get up and do some interpretive dancing. Then leave their instruments on the turf for more dancing. I don't care for this.

2. Trot our soloist after soloist, and if not soloists, small ensembles that play while the other 150 band members lie on the ground or do interpretive dancing.

3. Routines in which the marching and band appear to be just the supporting act: One of the bands that finished ahead of my son's band toted out a GRAND PIANO on a huge round riser and had a virtuosic young fellow in tails holding together the show...

I assume all of these things are within the rules and therefore my criticism falls squarely in the "not to my tastes" category.

As I have been heard to say a lot over the last few years, "I prefer to see a great marching band over a poor broadway show."

Edit to note: The HS band my son is part of tends not to do the above things, they tend to do a lot of difficult music while marching, they have a thematic show but it's recognizably a marching band performance.

Gripe gripe gripe.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    3bolt79 and Cerb like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.