You righty's are lucky....

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
I'm perplexed by the lack of guitars for lefties.
All models should be offered with both choices, IMO.
My ex was born a lefty in Trinidad and had her knuckles rapped until she learned to change her dominant hand to the right.
Even in language, 'left' has negative connotations:
'gauche'
'sinistra'

Deviljho

Strat-Talker
May 8, 2018
Canada
My ex was born a lefty in Trinidad and had her knuckles rapped until she learned to change her dominant hand to the right.
'gauche'
'sinistra'
Yeah, that’s a West Indian thing, for sure. Both sides of my family are from the islands. Mum and auntie started out lefties and were forced to change by teachers and parents when they were young.

Glad times have changed.

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
'gauche'
'sinistra'
@PonyB
The beginning of every school year was hell… every year my knuckles were hit with a ruler or I was spanked… by teachers, then again when I got home. All to make me write with my right hand. It didn’t work! It just taught me I was alone against the world at a early age. But I do play guitar righty… who knew I’d actually succeed at learning to play. It’s OK my smart hand does the work my right hand just follows…

GitGeek

Livin' After Midnight
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 2, 2020
Denver
The world's population is made up of 90% right-handed people. Not too many businesses cater to only 10% of the population, and only the smallest percentage of that 10% to sell to is even interested in a guitar and learning to play.

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
The world's population is made up of 90% right-handed people. Not too many businesses cater to only 10% of the population, and only the smallest percentage of that 10% to sell to is even interested in a guitar and learning to play.
Exactly right.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
Jimi Hendrix continues to top guitar player polls to this day and inspire lefties.
Lefties are notoriously creative types, and I dont believe that's reflected in your numbers.

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
Jimi Hendrix continues to top guitar player polls to this day and inspire lefties.
Lefties are notoriously creative types, and I dont believe that's reflected in your numbers.
@PonyB
Just to make sure you know Jimi was right handed…. But somehow played guitar left handed… the few times I read him mention it he would say “It just felt right to play left handed”. 🤷🏼‍♂️

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
@PonyB
Just to make sure you know Jimi was right handed…. But somehow played guitar left handed… the few times I read him mention it he would say “It just felt right to play left handed”. 🤷🏼‍♂️
He was a left-handed player though.
I write with my right, play hockey and lacrosse lefty, skateboard lefty.

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
@PonyB
The beginning of every school year was hell… every year my knuckles were hit with a ruler or I was spanked… by teachers, then again when I got home. All to make me write with my right hand. It didn’t work! It just taught me I was alone against the world at a early age. But I do play guitar righty… who knew I’d actually succeed at learning to play. It’s OK my smart hand does the work my right hand just follows…
WTF is this thing with beating up kids to conform to some twisted notion of "the correct way"?

Is it an east coast thing?
(Perhaps this is why there is no shortage of cadavers in the anatomy labs of west coast medical schools)

Good place to stash an inconvenient body.

Reading the same sorta sh!t in the ambidextrous thread...
Weird.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
WTF is this thing with beating up kids to conform to some twisted notion of "the correct way"?

Is it an east coast thing?
(Perhaps this is why there is no shortage of cadavers in the anatomy labs of west coast medical schools)

Good place to stash an inconvenient body.

Reading the same sorta sh!t in the ambidextrous thread...
Weird.
The left hand was (is) considered 'evil' in many cultures.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
I've tried golf a few times and on each occasion could not discern whether i was lefty or righty.
Weird feeling.
I asked a pianist friend if left-handed pianos were ever considered.
He had no idea what i was talking about haha.
EDIT: i found this though:

Last edited: