Join Strat-Talk Today

Your Choice of Dirt Pedal

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by DeMelo, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

My go to drive is a KWM Klone and my second is an SBN L'il Eagle with a Big Daddy Amp Blaster in one box. The L'il Eagle/BDAB also has a direction switch so I can change the order of the signal from boosted drive to driven boost.

2. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

I get overdrive from the amp, then I pummel the front of the amp with a Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face.

Stratoskater likes this.
  3. Warlag

Warlag Strat-Talk Member

I’ve been really enjoying the Mxr Gypsy Fuzz.. I love it with any of my strats!

4. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

I use my amp (orange) distortion for the most part but i also use a ehx soul food for 'old school' classic rock, a joyo american sound for blues/bluesy rock and and an Mxr distortion III to boost. Now my single coil of choice is much hotter than a normal fender single coil as well. The G&L mfd's are pretty rad.

5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

6. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

I am with @colaiza1965 I prefer trebleboosters. I use these two. They sound great with all amps but they really shine when you get some tubes cookin'

the BSM RPA California ii
    [​IMG]

and/or the BSM HS-S

[​IMG]

colaiza1965 likes this.
  7. MartinoTJ

MartinoTJ Strat-Talk Member

Clean amp Fender Mid Scooped: in order of gain levelTube Screamer, Fulldrive, Dirty Thirty, Chrunch Box and RAT

Dirty Amp Mid Push: Joyo Sweet baby, Bluesbreaker, OCD and RAT

Plenly of gain levels...

8. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

Dont know about the best I haven't tried them all what I have work right now. A tc electronics Tube piolet/ Tube driver OD and a EHX C0CK Fight it has a Bias control so I can go from a smooth to breaking up Distortion effect.

9. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talk Member

Mine have changed a lot over the years. Since I have been an on again, off again guitar player, I have bought, then sold off all of my guitar gear a few different times.

Lately, I've been using an OCD and a Foxx Tone Machine Fuzz clone in addition to amplifier distortion. Amps are a couple Fender models, an Orange and a Mesa Mark II.

Between those amps and those two pedals, there isn't much else I desire in dirty guitar tone. I use the volume on the guitar to alter saturation too.

Sometimes I think I need more fuzz pedals, or a Tube Screamer, or a couple different Big Muffs, or a Klone or a clean boost or some boutique, fancy something else but realistically, I don't really need anything more than what I already have.

10. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

I’ve got way to many of these things to mention... but me favorites are:

Overdrive
    TS mini
    El’Mo
    Wampler Plexi Drive
    OCD
    Fulldrive I and II
    JHS KLONE

Distortion
    Wampler SLOSTORTION
    Friedman BE-OD
    ProCo Rat
    GT-500

Bighump and lineboat like this.
  11. paulnb57

paulnb57 Strat-Talk Member

Hudson sidecar...

12. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talker

Update on this. I went to check some more Xotics today as it seems I have a luck with them. Tried some Bass Xotics for **** and giggles and I came back home with BB Pre Bass. What a cool pedal. Way different than stock BB and its not the EQ, it just reacts so well to picking dynamic. My newest fav

This and AC Boost sorts all my OD/Dist needs.

Anyone up for a Cornish? :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    3bolt79 likes this.
  13. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

Danelectro French toast is killer for rhythm overdrive and then there’s a switch for an octave fuzz type thing that’s great for lead when dialed in... it’s cheap and great... sounds perfect through my 64 Gibson invader with the built in reverb an tremolo

14. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-Talker

94 US strat into Kustom Coupe 36, clean channel within a gnats nob of breakup, TC Electronics Mojomojo for lovely bluesy OD, just added an OCD clone in front of it for fat lead tones. Only just got the OCD clone, set up last night. Gig Saturday, I always enjoy testing a new setup in front of an audience! Drives the frontman mad....

15. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

If I want just a little grit, I'll turn on the Timmy pedal. If I want just a little grit but a slightly fatter/thicker sound I'll use the RYRA Klone. For medium drive with some "chewiness" I'll use the EQD Palisades. Anything more than that I just use a Friedman BE-OD Deluxe!

Andrew Wasson and Stratoskater like this.
  16. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

I use a Crowther Hotcake for excellent tube overdrive and a Tone City Golden Plexi for those Marshall high gain tones. I also go through the distortion models on my boss Me-50, so the key is to have loads of options and variation.

17. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

You will get as many different responses as there are responders.
    There are a thousand pedals out there, and every single one of them can sound good.
    As someone else already pointed out, all the other elements in your chain contribute the eventual sound that reaches your ears. Your amp probably matters most of all (and the speaker in your amp might be the single most important piece of equipment you own, believe it or not).

But you need to start somewhere. So this is how I do it. The Tube Screamer has been a popular pedal forever for a reason - it pushes the mids really well, and provides a compressed sound that helps you cut through. For light gain, the Barber Gain Changer and trusty Boss Blues Driver have an organic and "open" sound, very unlike the Tube Screamer. For a very versatile "thickener" (especially with "chimey" amps like Vox), the Timmy pedal is hard to beat (every person who has it loves it). Higher gain isn't my thing personally, but Boss OD- pedals do fine in my experience. If you want to spend hundreds$$$, kncok yourself out, there are a million other choices.

If you are relatively new to pedals, you can't go wrong starting with Boss. They make every type of pedal, they all sound fine, and you can generally find any of them used for around $50. You can experiment until you find what you like. Then later you can look at expensive boutique versions that offer refinements.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  18. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

keeley oxblood. You'll get all the nice boosts and gains possible for a strat in one pedal.

19. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

And for a little more gain than that, what do you use ? Nah, just kidding.

20. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Well since you asked...;)
    bmz.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.