Join Strat-Talk Today

Your Choice of Dirt Pedal

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by DeMelo, Oct 1, 2019.

1. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

I’ve collected a BUNCH of dirt pedals over the years. I’ll rarely sell one, you never know when a new amp will come along or the mood changes.
    My longtime favorite overdrive is the Sweet Honey from Mad Professor. It seems to sound great with any guitar and any amp for light overdrive.
    I recently bought a D&M Drive that’s just awesome. The boost side is just that, a great boost. The drive side can be set from light crunch to pretty heavy gain, especially with the boost on.
    Speaking of boosts, it seems to me they’re overlooked way too much. A good boost pedal will add that tone a lot of folks are searching for. That fatness, that midrange bump, that volume jump for a solo, and most importantly to me, they take a great sounding overdrive crunch into a sweet Distortion.
    The Zendrive has been mentioned, but I’ll give it another vote. They’re great with the right amp. Vick Audio makes the Tree of Life. It’s half Zen, half OCD. Check those out too!
    Last but not least, the Crowther HotCake.
    It works best with a Vox, and really well with a Peavey too. Mine came up “missing”, and hasn’t been replaced yet. I’ve tried several others, but none compare to a HotCake!

Nick-O likes this.
  2. GaryM

GaryM Strat-Talker

A Boss SD-1 for me. It is my desert island pedal. Set any of my tube amps on the edge of breakup and my SD1 will push it into a fire breathing monster.

I have two older ones that are made in Japan.

Ash-Man likes this.
  3. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

@GaryM For sure an insanely good pedal that is ubiquitous and very affordable, the Japanese versions are more highly sought after and demand a premium I admit but the 50 dollar new made in Taiwan one is VERY good too

GaryM likes this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

When I switched from humbucker guitars to Strats and Telecasters, I got really interested in pedals. Prior to that I had one big multi-effects pedalboard a Boss ME10 that I ran straight into the PA board.

Today I play mostly my Strat into a clone of a Tiny Terror with Holy Terror mods into a Mesa Dual 12” cabinet. My effects chain is:

Wha -> Compressor -> Vertex Clean Drive -> Phase90 -> Timmy -> Zendrive -> Rangemaster -> Delay -> Reverb.

I use the Compressor as an always on sustain or I use the Clean Drive as an always on preamp but I don’t use both at the same time.

I have an original TS9 but I can get TS9 tones out of the ZenDrive and then some so the TS9 is in a drawer. If I had to have only one dirt pedal, it would be the Timmy. It does everything.

I’ve got a couple of Fuzzface variants. So I’ll probably be putting one on my board and I’ll ditch the Rangemaster.

I’ve also got a Boss/Keeley DS-1 with the Ultra mods. It might find its way back on the board too.

Nick-O likes this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

AC30S1 has more gain in a sense than the regular AC30C1.

Not sure how because it has one less preamp but my guese is it breaks up alot earlier beacause of lower headroom in the preamp.

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I use my Fuzz Face stacked with either a TS9 or OD808 or both. This will reach metallica, thrash all day.

I further condition and sculpt the gain if I need any more with my Klone from MXR.

But most of the time I just dime the AC15s gain and stack the TS9 and OD9 for managable yet heavy gain. This gets me a good heavy 80s gain ala EVH territory.

7. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

with my old mesa and princeton clone it is amazing and a 5e3 clone it is not for me also.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The Angry Driver is intruiging - basically Andy Timmons in a box with his rhythm choice BD-2 and lead sound Angry Charlie in one box, with multiple switching options - if I were to ever downsize my board this would be a strong candidate.

Neilybob likes this.
  9. GaryM

GaryM Strat-Talker

Oh, I absolutely agree. I have no complaints about the Taiwan made Boss SD-1 at all. I've compared them to my Jappanese SD-1 and the Taiwan version is 98% "there". The audience would never know the difference.

Many mod the Japanese version to remove/jumper a resistor and a diode in the power supply. I've wondered if one were to put them IN a Taiwan SD-1 if it would sound identical.

Ash-Man likes this.
  10. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

Does anyone else not use pedals?
    I have a 60s Fuzzrite clone which is a gimmick and a Vox Wah that I use on one song with my band occasionally and that's it. All of my guitar heroes didn't use pedals so I have tried to subscribe to that way of life.

Now I have toyed with the idea of a tube screamer I enjoy the tons certain players get out of them. Lately I have found myself reading up on the various clones and I have a few on my Reverb watch list but I don't know if I will pull the trigger.

Stark likes this.
  11. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

Gumbo I am really considering the BE-OD for some high gain fun. I wanted to know if you like it? If I get it I will likely get the deluxe to have the mid control and the lower gain side.

12. Neilybob

Neilybob Strat-Talk Member

Cool.

I use my gigrig to to switch between the modes. It's amazing. Highly recommended with a switcher.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

13. Stark

Stark I’m still an idiot and I’m still in love Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a boat load of delay and modulation pedals but I just prefer Marshall amp distortion all that much more so I never really got into dirt pedals to the same degree.

I love the sounds when other players use them. Myself, not so much.

Hugh likes this.
  14. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

@Bighump
    I think the pedal sounds GREAT! But I only use it for high gain leads and 80’s hair metal tunes... I had to send my Wampler SLOSTORTION in to have the switches replaced and needed something in the mean time... I asked the guy at the shop for a “face melting” pedal. He gave me the BE-OD and a Wampler Plexi Drive. I liked them both but the Friedman had just a ridiculous amount of distortion on tap... far surpassing the Plexi Drive... so I bought the Friedman but returned a few weeks for the Wampler also. So now those are what I’m using on my gig board. The Wampler had good tone and very Plexi feel and response. Which is cool for some tunes... but the Friedman is like Godzilla stomping all over a village! And I just got the gain at 12 o’clock!!! I think there is a pot inside to adjust the gain and “tame” it. But screw dat! I like it how it came out the box.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    lineboat and Bighump like this.
  15. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The BE OD is awesome fun! Love mine

Bighump likes this.
  16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

DOD Carcosa for fuzz.

Boss SD-1 and OD-3 for overdrive.

ProCo Rat (or a clone for a smaller box) for distortion.

Tanabe Dumkudo for amp-sounds.

17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

I haven't heard of that pedal. Who makes it?

18. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

What kind of guitar do you plug into that mix? Don’t you get too much noise from the stacked pedals?

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Sorry that was a bit of a joke. A 5e3 is the Fender Tweed Deluxe amp. That was my joking way of saying I use my amp for overdrive.

Andrew Wasson and omahaaudio like this.
  20. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

That sounds like great fun, I'm really torn between that and the Dirty Shirley. IDK what to buy lol. I think I will get the BEOD Deluxe for the lower gain channel. Thanks for sharing man, I'd love to get that godzilla burning tokyo feeling for sure!

Electgumbo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.