Your favorite guitarists?

IMMusicRulz

Strat-Talker
Aug 10, 2020
Atlanta, GA
I have a few favorite guitarists.

George Harrison, Keith Richards, Duane Eddy, Chet Atkins, Nancy Wilson, Neal Schon, Alex Lifeson, Tony Iommi, Martin Barre, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Michael Schenker and Jimmy Page.

stratnutz

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 10, 2011
Gar-land TX
1. J.Hendrix
2.EClapton
3.J. Page
4.R. Blackmore
5.J. Beck
6. T.Iommi
7. L. West
8. B. G.ibbons
9. M. Schenker
10.M. Farner

The founding Fathers more or less, not that I dont like the newer guys just as much

Nadnitram

Most Honored Senior Member
Patrick Simmons
Keef
David Gilmour
Nancy Wilson
James Taylor
Paul Simon
Tom Scholz
Randy Bachman

I left a couple slots open to be filled on a rotating basis by EVH, Hendrix, BB King, Albert King, Sr. Rosetta Tharpe, SRV, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Walsh, Don Felder, and others as I think of them

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
Patrick Simmons
Keef
David Gilmour
Nancy Wilson
James Taylor
Paul Simon
Tom Scholz
Randy Bachman

I left a couple slots open to be filled on a rotating basis by EVH, Hendrix, BB King, Albert King, Sr. Rosetta Tharpe, SRV, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Walsh, Don Felder, and others as I think of them
Oh my my , where’s Joe Walsh !!

Robonarc

Strat-O-Master
Jan 24, 2022
Canada
I like so many but the players that have been the biggest influences on my playing are Tony Iommi, Angus and Malcolm Young, Tim Armstrong and Lars Frederiksen, Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein, Johnny Ramone, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Allen Collins and Gary Rossington. Just to name a few.

marcostrumm

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 27, 2015
CANADA
Funny list. Made to kill time, I guess. "Favorite" for me falls into two categories: (1) Those who've had the greatest influence on my own playing and (2) Those I like to listen to.

For example, Jeff Beck is in category 2. Not only will I never be able to play like him, but when I hear him play, I'm almost tempted to give up guitar!

On the other hand, those in category 1 span years of listening, learning and playing. As my tastes have changed, so have the players I listen to. This probably won't be ten, but here are the guitarists who have influenced my playing. In no particular order.
  • John, George and Paul (I don't think Ringo played guitar)
  • Jerry Garcia (I got my "ring" tone from him)
  • Alvin Lee
  • Eric Clapton
  • Robin Trower
  • David Crosby
  • Dewey Bunnell, Dan Peek and Gerry Beckley ("America")
  • Brian McLean and Arthur Lee ("Love")
  • John Sebastian/Zal Yanovsky ("The Lovin' Spoonful")
  • John Cippolina

what no Tony Hicks?

he's the guy responsible for that riff that everybody at some time or another tries out and almost never seems to get right

MrCairo

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 15, 2017
NL
In no particular order:

Mark Knopfler
Robert Cray
Carlos Santana
George Benson
John Sykes
Nile Rodgers
Mark Knopfler
Kirk Fletcher
John Norum
And Mark Knopfler (to make it 10 and to make up for the scarcity of his being mentioned in these lists ;) )