Your favorite source and/or brand of reliced, aged, or custom plastics, etc?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by burner, Oct 14, 2021.

1. burner

burner Strat-Talk Member

Hello all!
    I hope I've posted this in the right place...

First of all, I dont want this to devolve into a relic hate thread, or anything like that.
    This is for those who embrace the reliced/aged appointments, whether it be to more closely match an existing instrument, or hell...even if you're just into adding false mileage to impress the gals. ;)
    Whatever the reason.

I was wondering what the membership here prefers when it comes to things like aged plastics...pickguards, pickup covers, knobs, etc.

Obviously there are quite a few brands and vendors out there, and I can't readily recall the names.

My research has lead me to several places like maybe...crazyparts.de, for example, which manufacture and/or stock what appear to be aged parts of a noticeably higher quality than most places..more authentic, less generic looking.
    Eh, I'm in no way affiliated with the company I mentioned..i just used it as an example off the top of my head of one i seem to remember carrying very nice products, that's all.

At any rate....
    I'm curious as to how many here use these "boutique" aged/reliced parts as opposed to some of the commonly available ones.
    Additionally, which places carry your favorite stuff...I always appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
    lol

Also...
    When it comes to using aged/reliced parts on your Strats, what is it exactly that you prefer?
    I mean, cost aside, what is it that you look for insofar as authenticity, etc?

I'm not only speaking to those who buy pre-reliced stuff, but those of you who cook up your own...what things do you prefer on your Strat, and why?

I suppose I should clarify, although currently his main focus..this is not ONLY limited to relic/aged parts, but custom stuff as well....custom pickguards or knobs of wooden, metal, or other non-standard materials.

One big reason I'm taking the time to pick your brains about this subject is that I have a disabled relative who has enjoyed doing these things and would like to create his own..perhaps even to market.
    *This isnt really to debate whether such a small business would succeed...I'm sure we can ALL agree the market (for almost EVERYTHING) is indeed flooded.
    Rather, to maybe help someone who enjoys doing these things (and is physically limited) understand exactly what kind of details people desire.

You know, I figured maybe with your help I could find some other cool parts and websites who stock them, whilst also helping a friend who has yet to join our membership, lol...tho' I AM working on him. ;)
    Hopefully he will gain some insight from your posts.
    Thanx!

2. Stubie78

Stubie78 Strat-Talker

I tend to buy most of my parts from Charles Guitars in London. They have a great online store.

On all of my strats I've purchased their 64 parchment pickguard and matching pickup covers and knobs. The pickguard has a wide bevel and a thicker black layer. Really subtle and classy looking. Best of all the colour is just right, not to white or green. 20201019_232755.jpg 20210416_131400.jpg 20210905_230949.jpg

3. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Guitar Center (in person only)
    Amazon
    Sweetwater

4. PeteGeordie

PeteGeordie Strat-Talker

I tend to buy the parts attached to a guitar and keep them for 30+ years and the ageing is nice.

5. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-O-Master

stratosphere , look around Reverb.com

Bowmap likes this.