Your first 3 guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Otisblove, May 7, 2021.

1. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I won't count the $10 acoustic from a local five and dime (to borrow from Bryan Adams) and count the next 3:

Fender Lead II - gift from my folks in 1979; technically a Christmas present but we got in the Saturday after Thanksgiving; probably the only time my dad ever went into a music shop, and definitely the only time with the intention of purchasing anything. I kept the old girl until 2015 - by then it was getting actually painful for me to play that neck so I "paid it forward" to a much younger relative. Of the "first 3" it's the only one I have a photo of:

[​IMG]

I took a playing hiatus from 1986-1992; when I started playing again after a few months I got guitar #2:

1992 PRS CE Maple Top in the transparent gray-black color - back then all PRS were 24-frets. This generation of CEs had alder bodies, the maple top was an option. Very hot bridge pickup, 5-way rotary switch, all the PRS trappings. No photos of mine; I can't even find an early 90s in grey-black online anywhere; just plenty of photos of the current version.

Kept the PRS until 1998 when I sold it and got guitar #3:

1996 Hamer Studio in cherryburst. Mine was purchased NOS in early 1998; it had been hanging in the store for about a year. From the brief era when the Studio had a wrap-tail bridge and a back contour. Again, no photos of mine but it was similar to this one:

[​IMG]

Kept this one until 1999 when I sold it for a Les Paul, but that is another story!

Stratbats and Neil.C like this.
  2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Some cheaper Yamaha 3/4 size acoustic
    A 1984 Squier Strat with that input into the pickguard where the other tone knob should have been
    A 1993 Fender MIK Strat.

The first 2 were gifts from my parents. I got the acoustic when I was about 10, and had about 6 months of lessons. I didn't play another note until I was at college. I had 2 friends in college that were legitimate guitarists. I dragged the acoustic up to college and relearned the basic chords. My parents noticed my rekindled interest and when I asked for an electric for Christmas, they let me pickout the Squier. I attacked the Squier for about a year, but allowed myself to get distracted. Once I graduated, the Squier eventually got put away, and eventually sold.

I love my parents to death, but I don't miss either of those guitars.

The third one I bought for myself, and sold it a few months later. I still wasn't into guitar at that time. That 1993 MIK Strat probably had cheap pickups and electronics, but it sure was a beautiful Strat! It was white with a rosewood fretboard--the perfect Blackmore Rainbow-era Strat.

The 4th was a Samick Les Paul copy, circa 2000. That thing was beautiful too! But again, I wasn't really into guitar and I sold it after a couple of months.

Finally, in 2006 my parents out of nowhere bought me a Yamaha strat--yet another Christmas present. This one was the low end Pacifica model. THAT was the guitar that got me into the mood to actually want to *play*.

I know we're only supposed to post the first 3, but the first 5 played in to me finally taking guitar seriously.

StratoMutt likes this.
  3. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

First: Sears $18 special.. it was gloriously awful.
    il_570xN.172546088.jpg

Second- More bad choices in life. But still hits that soft spot in me.
    teisco1.JPG

Third - picked it up for $50 bucks, shoulda got high instead.

3.jpg

But after that it was three strats so I guess I lived.

BTW - none of these are the actuals, just identical to the ones I had. Including the godawful color of the mustang.

Groovey likes this.
  4. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

1. 5$ flea market acoustic --dang thing stayed in tune for at least five minutes at a time. Kind of sparked my interest in guitar, lo 25 years ago.
    2. MIA -B.C Rich Warlock-borrowed from a relative who wasn't using it.-after a 5 year hiatus, played for a few more months.
    3. Traveler Electric- basic model -these are so lightweight and easy to keep in the lap. Don't have much tone, but they are so easy to pick up, and handle, you spend a lot of time holding them, and, therefore, playing.

5. BlazberryStrat

BlazberryStrat New Member!

1: Fender Musicmaster 2: Les Paul Deluxe 3: Fender Stratocaster 'Gold / Gold'. Was very blessed growing up in my grandparents music store.

6. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

#1 Goya classical nylon string my mom gave me
    #2 Cheapo Japanese electric I bought new at Sam Goody for $30 with birthday money in 1968
    #3 1961 slab board Strat in Olympic white I bought from my weed connection for $125 in 1974

Bill, tgo

7. rikbigcat

rikbigcat Strat-Talker

0 - Ordered a $50 acoustic from Sears catalog but canceled the order.
    1 - ~$300 black acoustic that I never bonded with and had a weird buzz I could never pin down. I dumped it cheap before moving.
    2 - 1991 MIM Strat. Crimson Red Metallic. Daily driver.
    3 - $20 acoustic from flea market. Used as part of a "hippie" costume:
    Rik_hippie.png

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  8. Bricks

Bricks Strat-Talk Member

I thought I would ask: I too am not big on taking pictures, do you wish that you took more pictures?

9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player Platinum Supporting Member

1. No name junk shop hollow body.
    2. MIM Standard Strat.
    3. MIM Standard Tele.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

All basses and of course I no longer have any of them. :(

silvertonebass.jpg
    1964 Silvertone 1444 Dolphin Bass

66jazz.jpg
    1966 Fender Jazz Bass

Fender63PBass3tSB94000_17.jpg Fender 63 Precision Bass

11. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

Aria 5102T Semi Acoustic Guitar (sunburst) --.jpg Aria
    3001 had one of these 3.jpg early block marker es335 was switched to a lefty and then back so when I got it there was no pickguard
    3001 had one of these 4.jpg the 335 was stolen (found what was left of it a few years later)
    replaced it with a Guild Starfire 3

Stratbats and Blackmore Fan like this.
  12. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    I had an acoustic that I found in an alley around 1970, could have been a Martin for all I knew and remember, lol. After that I had some kind of 3/4 size acoustic with the strings about 3 inches off of the neck that my mother bought me.

As for electrics:

1. A 69.95 Jewelcor plywood sunburst Strat looking thing, that later became white, then natural.
    2. Ventura SG copy that the neck screws got stripped out, so it got attached permanently with PC7.
    3. Memphis Les Paul DC copy with P90ish pickups.

I've got pictures of them all. Somewhere.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  13. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Eh, not really, in that I don't miss having pictures of me. I have been at times a devoted photographer though, so have spent a lot of time behind the lens.

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

How can you guys remember all this?
    1. Some crappy electric (probably a Japanese) I took apart and spray painted then put back together, having no idea how to do it.
    2. Some beat up nylon string acoustic thing I got for $35 and actually learned to play.
    3. Mako strat copy with a pointy headstock. I had no idea at the time, but it was made by Matsumoku.

I can't remember if there were any others in the mix, but I bought some serious guitars after these.

15. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

1. Awful no name acoustic that my Mum bought for me for £3 in the sixties.

2. Avon Les Paul copy that wasn't great but was a world of difference from the acoustic in the '70's.

3. Fender US Standard bought new in 1989, my first decent guitar and I still have it.

[​IMG]

Blackmore Fan and Stratbats like this.
  16. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

1. Hondo strat
    2. Shadow superstrat
    3. Gibson Flying V

Sold the V for a ridiculous small amounts of money a few years ago, I was suffering for a major GAS.

17. RoyC

RoyC Senior Stratmaster

My first three were all Gretsch.

Roys electric guitars.JPG

Groovey likes this.
  18. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Ignoring the nylon string acoustics from the brief time I played classical guitar as a child, my first was a PowerPlay Strat copy when I was 13. It was kind of awful, and I was secretly jealous of my brother's Stagg Flying V (although that wasn't great either as it turned out). I eventually sold it for £20 and haven't regretted it yet! Looked just like this one I found on the internet:

image.jpeg

My second was another Strat copy, this time a Legend LST-06 which I bought in a junk shop in December 2016. It was pretty beaten up and only had five strings on it, but I thought it looked cool, so I bought it (my first experience of the appeal of a 'relic'? :D). Luckily, once I'd replaced the machine heads and the strings, it actually worked and played pretty well. I've taken it apart and rebuilt it more times than I can count, but I still have it and still love it.

image.jpeg

Third was merely a footnote in my guitar story - a Cort X6 superstrat. It was another one I bought with trying because I thought it looked cool, but I wasn't so lucky this time and it turned out not to work. It really needed totally rewiring, but as it wouldn't stay in tune anyway, I didn't think it would be worth it and sold it. Knowing what I know now, I could probably have fixed it, but never mind. Strangely, I can't find any exactly like it on the internet, so here's the closest I could get. Mine was the same but in a weird metallic copper finish:

image.jpeg

19. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

First 5 (that count)
    Sister's masonite Silvertone acoustic
    Korean bolt-on Les Paul copy
    Brand spankin' new 1978 Antigua Strat
    Goya 12 string acoustic
    Kramer DMZ-2000

Technically, my first was a Roy Rodgers toy.

20. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

1) mid 70s: a cheap nylon string guitar that I bought by mail order. (found a pic of an ad for them)
    2) late 70s: traded up to an Ibanez dred (found a random pic of something like it)
    3) 1982: bought my first electric: Ibanez MC150FR (still have it)

Landola 1975.jpg ibanez concord hummingbird.jpg Ibanez-istuimen-edessä.jpg