Your first ever guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Silverman, Oct 23, 2020.

1. fretter

fretter Strat-O-Master

That's what I like about it, the neck. Mine has some gouges, it's far from perfect.

Jason D likes this.
  2. AndyGT

AndyGT Strat-Talk Member

Mine was a Hohner TE Custom. Got it my my 13th birthday in December 1988. It’s a Telecaster copy that Fender sued over the headstock shape. I still have it. I’ll never sell it. Far right in this pic A7A750D9-AD3C-43DD-8DC9-F7678EC29B85.jpeg

Mouse and jamesmgregory like this.
  3. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talk Member

H39_Hollywood_1960_09.JPG When I became interested in playing electric guitar, my dad bought me this Harmony Hollywood electric. I was probably 12 or 13, and the guitar is long gone. The strings were about a foot off of the fret board, hard to play a barre chord. :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  4. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Strat-Talker

My first guitar was/is my Dad's acoustic, no-name, MIJ, probably early '70s. The six-string on our left in this photo:

[​IMG]

My first electric was a no-name Teisco-type MIJ piece of junk. Originally it was sunburst. I repainted it checkerboard and it has been wall art since the early '80s. Currently out in the garage practice space as decoration. On the right in this photo:

[​IMG]

Mouse likes this.
  5. echale iii

echale iii Strat-Talk Member

I had one almost exactly like this as my first, only mine was by Zenon and had a Fender Jaguar style bridge setup... Same sunburst colors, even.... It had a big fat neck on it but no truss rod, so by the time I was moving on, guitar-wise (To a silver Gibson Sonex S180 Deluxe) the neck was pretty well banana shaped and the guitar was, literally, unplayable except maybe as a slide guitar.... It bit the dust Paul Stanley-style....

6. jayar

jayar Strat-Talk Member

my first was a Gibson acoustic in 1956. But my baby is in the photo: a ’62, bought in ’68, still have it. 32A210AF-939A-4354-9147-FEF4DCB09680.jpeg

Fuzz, J4ME5 and Mouse like this.
  7. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I still have it.
    1970 something , I think 72/73 Epiphone Crestwood.
    I bought it used but it had not a mark.
    All the electrics are shot, but otherwise it's good, in original case.
    I'm going to redo it one day ( but I've been saying that for 10 years )

Attached Files:

8. martinmj

martinmj Strat-Talk Member

P1030997ed3.jpg This brings back memories! I had a couple of nameless acoustics back in the 60's, and then my pro musician uncle Frank took me to Friedman's Guitar Shop in Leytonstone High Road. We walked out with a Framus semi-acoustic Hollywood double-cutaway with a sliding pickup, in a beautiful red/gold sunburst, and white purfling around the edges.
    Sadly I didn't have a decent amp, and could not understand why the flat-wound strings sounded so dead compared with my acoustics. So after about 12 months, it got sold-and I've regretted it ever since ! Knowing what I do now, it would have had a string change, decent amp and effects unit, and it would have got played endlessly.
    The current over-inflated prices mean I am never likely to buy another, but if I did I supect that I would find it less of a guitar than I believe it could have been. That's rose-tints for you! Have a look at the mid 60's photo attached-note Buddy Holly is top of the photos on my cupboard door! Not much changes there....

9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Bolt-on neck, plywood body, no name on the headstock, Korean. Parents got it for me at a Fullerton pawn shop "Strings and Things" that used to be where Leo's original shop used to be on Harbor & Commonwealth.
    First electric. Never got a picture of my Roy Rogers guitar... or the Silvertone acoustic I inherited when my sister moved out.

16-2.JPG

Marky Forrest and Mouse like this.
  10. Buzzhead59

Buzzhead59 New Member!

M y first ever was a Barclay acoustic. Cheap guitar my parents bought me for Christmas from Naum Brothers store in 1965. I learned how to read and play tunes from a girl that played at our church. Today I still play in a rock band and own way too much equipment to list.

11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

My first was a Teisco that I bought for $22 from Western Auto with lawn mowing money saved up. I got $2 per yard. I wish I still had it but don’t.

12. Stratacaster

Stratacaster Strat-Talk Member

A nylon acoustic classical guitar in 1973. Can’t remember the name brand. Then a Fender Stratocaster in black with white pick guard in 1978-79. Fixed bridge. I don’t have anyone of them anymore. I play a Fender Custom Shop 60th Anniversary today.

13. JDug

JDug Strat-Talker

Yes! My first electric! I still have my 1981 Vantage AV-325 Avenger. Got it from my parents as a Christmas gift. I had a Kahler trem installed in it in 1987. (Obviously the red one on the right....my Strat is not in the photo though!)

Attached Files:

14. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Not my very first guitar, given me on my 9th birthday which lasted only about six months as it was an utter nightmare to play, round hole ‘spanish’ style guitar with steel strings and high action.
    My parents were aware of my struggles with such a poor instrument so they gave me a Otwin Rhythm to replace it, a single cut big ‘f’ hole jazz box. It drowned me but I loved it.

Still have it all these years later, she’s over sixty now. 0D1960EE-247E-44DD-87E4-C7CF8ED1489A.jpeg

15. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

Yes, I still have my first guitar, an acoustic. I also have my first electric guitar, my first bass, my first practice amp, my first big amp, my first effect, my first strap, and my first guitar stand. Anybody come close to matching that? The OCD is strong in this one!
    1969 Silvertone (Harmony) archtop, 1968 Telecaster, 1964 Hofner, 60’s unbranded but probably Valco amp, and an early Traynor YBA-3A. Not sure of the Big Muff wah vintage, and the original stand is the middle one.

FD8CB8A1-789A-426C-A1A3-A7F87E3E5846.jpeg

PS - I still have my first car too! A 1966 Mustang convertible.

Andrew Wasson, JamesE, Fuzz and 3 others like this.
  16. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

From the 1981 Sears Fall/Winter Catalog.

My beauty is #3 and matched with the powerful 2W amp #5. It was a horrible guitar with terrible action and a wonky vibrato bar that assured it would never be in tune (as if I knew how to tune it). Amazingly it kept my interest enough that a year or so later I bought my 2nd guitar (Hondo Flying V).

I REALLY wanted that LP copy with the built in effects but no way was mom shelling out $170!!! :D

First Guitar.jpg

Andrew Wasson and CB91710 like this.
  17. skyscraper1952

skyscraper1952 New Member!

My first electric guitar was a Hagstrom ll. Here’s a photo of me with the instrument when I still had hair. I gave the Hagstrom to my daughter who still has it. 00A7935C-4824-4F2F-AE20-BBBA241786D4.jpeg

Andrew Wasson and Mouse like this.
  18. skyscraper1952

skyscraper1952 New Member!

My first electric guitar was a Hagstrom ll. Here’s a photo of me with the instrument when I still had hair. I gave the Hagstrom to my daughter who still has it. View attachment 434087

19. davidrconnell

davidrconnell Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

My first when I was 11, was a "Wonder " guitar from a great " we sell everything" shop Ellisdons (long gone) in Holborn London. I spent more on strings in under a year than what the guitar cost. AH....cathedral strings (I wonder what happened to them) I was lucky not to have lost an eye. My parents knew when I was playing by the sound of snapping strings when trying to tune it. The action was really good if you wanted to drive a London bus under the strings.
    Obviously long gone I probably used it unknowingly when striking a match over the years. Replaced it with a Hofner senator with a screw-on pickup and plugged it into our mains radio at home until I got an amp. Also long gone found a couple of very old pics (sorry about the quality) pics Our old radio 1958.jpg Senator Guitar 1959.jpg

Andrew Wasson, Fuzz and aleamparo like this.
  20. aleamparo

aleamparo Strat-Talk Member

Around 1987 with my 1985 MIJ strat. I still have it.
    [​IMG]

Andrew Wasson likes this.