Join Strat-Talk Today

Your first strat and why you still love/miss it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by weelie, May 3, 2006.

1. weelie

weelie Strat-Talk Member

Mine was a mid-90s MIJ "50s classic". 2-burst Basswood body.

Loved...
    - the snap and the look of the ambered maple fretboard.
    - the "out of phase"-quack of the low output pickups
    - the classic Buddy Holly look of the two tone burst
    - the very light weight (though it did ding very easily)

Sold it for a Tokai Les Paul custom... which is long gone as I had to have another strat! Which I sold... for another strat! ... but I might have to get me another 50s classic, to get back, get back to were I once belonged...

ocean likes this.
  2. Relicstrat

Relicstrat New Member!

My first Strat was a '63 3T sunburst that I bought in '79 for $265.00. Traded it away in '81 for a thick hollowbody '65 ES-125. Having cut my teeth on Gibson's I couldn't handle the 7.25" radius. But boy do I miss the monetary value of it now though. :twisted: If I did own it now i wouldn't get rid of it so i guess the value wouldn't really matter much. The only two guitars I've ever gotten rid of in 30+ years of playing are both the '63 Strat and ES-125. I didn't become a Strat owner again until '99 when I bought my '99 CS Relic. Also own a cheap MIM lefty that plays great and am in the process of putting together a lefty "Blackie" Strat.

3. Escotia

Escotia Strat-Talk Member

Hi Weelie

My first was a '79 see through red Strat with maple board. Good Strat...not great just good. I don't miss it at all as I just love the one I have now..and will always have !

4. tonfarbe

tonfarbe New Member!

I bought my first Strat at the age of 16 (22 years ago). Mid 70s Fender Hardtail Stratocaster
    with rosewood fretboard and some kind of moccha 2-tone sunburst that I've never seen since then.

Wish I still had her, but mostly for sentimental reasons.

Btw: It's nice to see some familiar faces from the TDPRI over here.

5. nvosmeier

nvosmeier Strat-Talker

My first strat was purchased new in 74. White w/white pickguard. Loved that guitar.

Since then, I have had many strats, including several 3-bolt strats from the 70s. I have loved all of them, each are unique, but have all played well.

My current fav is a white 77 strat. This is a very heavy guitar with great sound.

6. Blazer

Blazer Strat-Talk Member

My first strat IS a 1989 Squier standard series stratocaster (that's right I still have it.) I bought that one on my fifteenth birthday and played the tar out of it. Lovingly called "The veteran" she has been through a whole lot of modifications.

[​IMG]
    Here I am holding "the Veteran" when I was being photographed for my Previous band' website.

I replaced the original neck because it began to bow really badly, with a Fernandes neck wich has a lock nut installed which is good because I replaced the orignal bridge with a double locking Kahler bridge. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio DLX soapbar and eventually put the neck and middle pickups back in.

[​IMG]
    The Veteran with a tele neck, she had that one for a couple of weeks while I had her Fernandes neck re-fretted.

I owned many strats but "the Veteran" is a keeper, I will only part with her when I die.

7. Bill

Bill Strat-Talk Member

Mine was an '83 Stratocaster Elite--natural finish, ash-body, gold hardware, pearl tuning peg buttons. I bought it because I was used to Gibsons and it sounded and felt (and weighed) like a Les Paul. But I could never come to terms with the EMG pickups--they just sounded too clinical to me (though other folks love them). I ended up trading it for a new '57 reissue. But I never bonded with that one either, and ended up selling it last year.

8. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My first Strat was my '79 Hard Tail ALL BLACK. I really liked that guitar. But I quit playing it after I got my '65 Strat. So, I sold it about 2 years ago. I wish I still had it. I probably still wouldn't play it, but I miss it.

I've also had a 2003 MIA Sunburst Strat. I sold that one right away. Never bonded with it.

Then I bought a CS NOS 1965 Strat -- these were pretty rare and that was the model name "NOS 1965". A custom shop model that was supposed to be an exact replica of a 1965 Strat. It had those pickups wound and signed by Abigail Ybarra. It was nice but I sold it to raise funds for my real '65.

Now that I have the '65, I don't want any other Strats. But I do have to say the NOS 1965 was close to the real '65 in everything but vibe.

9. fractal

fractal New Member!

My first was an '83 Squier Strat. It was probably one of those that are being sought after now. I modded the heck out of it, new pickups, Floyd Rose, etc. Probably the only good mod was the SD Alnico Pro II pickups. Of course, I had switches for phase, series/parallel, and coil tap. - Hey, it was the 80's!! (In case you didn't catch the Floyd install...) Plus, I remember my vision for its sleek paint job that resulted in my "prepping" the body a bit. Ugh...

I remember finding chords on that guitar that were just meant for it, like a C chord played up the neck with some open strings. That is what I miss...

Although I really should e-mail that friend I gave it to, so I can play it again.

-Garrett

10. highway jammin

highway jammin Strat-Talk Member

My first is still the only, an MIJ 62 reissue. It has great looks, amzing tone, stories to be told, and after 5 years of heavy playing and traveling, it has quite a bit of worn mojo.

11. MarkAdam

MarkAdam New Member!

Mine was a '79 Strat, trem, burst, maple neck, with black pickguard, knobs and covers...T'was a "2nd" from the factory and bought from D.J.'s Music in Berwyn , IL during the summer of '79 for the bargain price of $349.00 with a case!

As is the case with most '79s, she was (is) heavy...so what to do...I switched out the trem for a MIA brass Mighty Mite bridge (still have that bridge, in a gold Fernandes with a solid rosewood neck & '57/'62 Fender pups), routed out a EVH hole for a Gibson zebra hb pup, hand-cut a pickguard for the hb....and finally stripped the body & neck thinking I would reshape the body for a more appropriate Strat curve...and well that never got started. That pushed me to screw together a '50s style Strat from Stwe-Mac parts and a used Warmoth neck, about 13 years ago...plays better than the '79 ever did...

Cheers... :D

12. AZMike

AZMike Strat-Talk Member

My first was a '95 American Standard, bought new, black with maple board. Very nice guitar. Only problem was that is was prone to fretboard flaking, which I hear was typical of the mid-90s Am Stds. It kept losing playing time to a '98 Lone Star with ash body and maple board that I acquired used in 2000. I liked the slightly larger neck on the Lone Star better, and I liked the Texas Special single coils better than the Am Stds. The humbucker bridge pickup was/is also a good option.

I also thought it would be nice to have a rosewood board, so I basically swapped the '95 Am Std for a new '60s Classic (Burgundy Mist), which I love. The'95 was a great guitar, and if I had more money and a bigger music room it would still be here. I do kind of miss the quack you could get in position 4 (neck/middle) with the TBX thing around 8 or 9. Really pronounced. And I always thought a black/maple strat was cool. Maybe someday I'll get a 50s Classic in black and experience a modified V neck.

Mike

13. Brian Blaut

Brian Blaut New Member!

My first and currently only strat is my very first guitar. An Epiphone strat copy from the late 80's. I bought it used for 80 bucks in highschool. I've since gutted and completely replaced the tuners, trem, electronics, pups, switch, jack, and pots. The back is all scratched up from me trying to remove/adjust the springs, Its made of plywood but when I pluck a string, her whole body vibrates. I'll probably keep it till I die.

14. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD New Member!

Bought Nov 12, 1976
    Serial #714155
    Natural, Black Guard, White Covers and Knobs.
    $360 with case and tax.
    Maple Board, Tremolo.
    Swapped DiMarzio fat Strat in the middle. Extra toggle to add middle pickup.
    5-Way switches were just coming out...I wanted an extra switch!

I would recognise it if it were painted Day-Glo Pink.

15. mr_hankey

mr_hankey Strat-Talk Member

My first and only Strat is my 50's classic. It's been undergoing modifications ever since I bought it; since I'm still not satisfied with it. Next on the list will probably be pickups (after I get a new amp).

16. uita

uita Strat-Talk Member

Tokai springy sound, led me on to a 77 Fender. This guitar absolutly stank, I think it was the animal glue used in the non Fender case. I could smell that guitar from 500 yds.

17. Chuck Backus

Chuck Backus Strat-Talk Member

First Strat

Mine was a black CBS-era Stratocaster with maple fingerboard and, of course, that big peghead.

Purchased in Waco, Texas in '81. The salesman tried to steer me away from it, but I was intent on owning a Strat and at $250, it was the only one I could afford.

Upon further review, it was a poorly conceived PartsCaster. Someone had crudely adapted the three-bolt neck connection to four-bolt. The bridge was pot metal, the pickups were anemic and the body had the big swimming pool routing under the pickguard. Took it to a buddy/guitar tech who suggested that I "...jack up the strings and run a new guitar in underneath."

But Hey! I had my Strat!

I loaned to a friend, it was stolen. I honestly don't miss it, beyond the sentimental attachment.

18. weelie

weelie Strat-Talk Member

Re: First Strat

:D

It seems that you guys don't really miss your first strat at all. Nor do I, really. There are thousands like my first, I could get a new one anytime if I wanted.

19. Chuck Backus

Chuck Backus Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I've used that line a thousand times since then. :D

I don't know if it rings true with anyone else, but one of the key reasons that it was okay for me to have a weak sounding Stratocaster was because I fell in love with the looks of the guitar. The sleek lines, that instantly gave you the appearance of a Rock & Roll Rebel. You just knew that women would fall at your feet when you strapped on a Strat.

It was actually some time before I grew to appreciate the sound of the Strat. By then I'd played a few really good ones (and had been to Austin to hear Stevie Vaughn). So I bought my next Strat, a mid- 80s Japanese model with locking nut & fine tuners...and a TubeScreamer...and sounded like everyone else that was trying to cop SRV.

I purchased my current Strat, a MIM 50s Stratocaster in Daphne Blue, on eBay just before the holidays. It's a nice axe and I have fun with it.

I think of my first Strat like you think of that concert photograph of yourself wearing parachute pants, satin tour jacket and a mullet. It was fun, you wouldn't trade the memories, but it doesn't really fit anymore.

20. Rand-O-Monium

Rand-O-Monium New Member!

Mine's an '84 USA '62 re-issue.
    Was Olympic White,more like Piss Yellow now.
    It's been in pieces for years(I traded the original neck a long time ago),& is very beat up/modded,but I still have it.
    It'll be back.

The last guitar I bought(last month) is an '02 Squier Standard Double Fat Strat.
    Still under re-construction at the moment.

Few in between,as well!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.