Join Strat-Talk Today

Your Most Effortless Performance?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by misterwogan, Dec 6, 2019.

1. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

This is about that occasion, above all others - that you utterly nailed it. Whether that be live on stage or on video. It's about that singular occasion when the music just flowed out of you, through the guitar, without resistance - as if you were singing.

Maybe you do that all the time, in which case - celebrate your gift. For the rest of us, there are times where we appear to rise above our level of competency. Please share and tell us what inspired you.

For me, it was that time seven years ago, when I decided to record a video of me playing along to my favourite song, from my favourite band. The Boys Are Back in Town by Thin Lizzy. I played over a performance by the band in Philadelphia, where I thought I could sneak in beside Scott Gorham - without him knowing of course. I was very happy with the result, and as you can see from the video - I was just lost in the music, with hardly a glance at the fretboard - I didn't miss a beat. I Just wish that I could do this today.

What are your standout moments?

duzie, circles, CigBurn and 8 others like this.
  2. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

Well not really a performance, but I've had a couple of experiences like that when jamming. It always seems to be when I'm not thinking about anything I'm doing and just play. But when someone says, "just play it like you did that time" I'll try to remember what I did and overthink it and completely fall flat.

3. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

I never have done anything cool like that - not even close.

I consider it success when I don’t get a fat(ter) lip after getting zapped by a poorly grounded (??) vocal mic.

Silvercrow, 3bolt79 and amstratnut like this.
  4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I really like this one. Its very relaxed with nothing to prove. I like my ideas.

duzie, ukoldgit, Silvercrow and 7 others like this.
  5. misterwogan

Yes I agree, and your timing is definitely in the pocket.

Stark and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hasn't happened...
    Might naught...
    But
    Next Thursday...
    My teacher's indentured performances...
    Working on 1/2 Dozen (%&$@&%+)
    But might
    Just
    Do
    A couple acoustics...
    Opening with..
    Lefty & Poncho..
    And
    Mystery music..

Silvercrow, Stark and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

That sounds great @misterwogan . You make it look effortless and are in lock step with the tune. Tone sound great too!

I have a number of these moments and I remember them vividly even though some of them were 4 or 5 years ago.

The first one was when I finally decided to record Comfortably Numb. I felt like I was David himself playing with Pink Floyd...it was surreal. I got lost in the second solo and improvised the rest and it just flowed. I haven't been able to play this like this again.

Another notable time was when I recorded my song Beams. It is called Beams because the sudden inspiration in my playing felt like beams of sunshine shining down on me. At the time I was very frustrated with my playing. I recorded the melody line in this in a single take...no punch ins, overdubs, or retakes. VERY rarely does that happen to me.

These are the moments that keep me going.

duzie, Silvercrow, CigBurn and 3 others like this.
  8. misterwogan

Oh Rich, that was so feckin good, I'm awestruck. Please keep doing this!!!

BallisticSquid likes this.
  9. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

The first time I played along with "Cortez The Killer" with Joe Satriani and Grace Potter... totally nailed it, even though I had never heard the song before.

Stark and amstratnut like this.
  10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

usually when i have 2 minutes to noodle - the stuff flows when i can not sit there and go with the flow !

BallisticSquid likes this.
  11. Williamwolka

Williamwolka Strat-Talker

Very Impressive! I love that version and Sykes backup vocals.

BallisticSquid and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

There have been a few times when I've done sideman gigs at short notice without rehearsal and the bandleader has called songs I don't know.

Drummer counts off and I look down at my fingers and think "oh god I am so ****ed, why did I agree to this gig" and I prepare for the embarrassment that's one quarter note away. And then my hands move and they play the song, even fiddly intricate parts and lead lines, and it's like I'm not even involved. And the song ends and I'm looking at my hands and my conscious brain is thinking to my unconscious brain "thank you so much for rescuing us just then because I have no idea how that song goes" and no-one on stage has any idea of the trainwreck that was just averted.

13. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Aw, thanks!! I can't but help keeping at it.

14. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

GREAT thread!

I wrote a song with our lead singer in our originals band; "Against the Tide". I played acoustic electric, and had just started using a Rick Turner Renaissance guitar (18v built in preamp; Horizon cable undersaddle pickup). It's a phenomenal sounding guitar- thin line but REAL sounding acoustic- high volume- no feedback.

Anyway, we played 3 gigs on a Saturday- local "Community Day" thing in the morning; Lightfest 2000 in New Jersey at noon and finally a resort up in the Poconos (Pennsylvania) starting at 9PM. Against the Tide features an acoustic solo that gets pretty intense- has a sort of Latin flavor. We did it as the first song of the first set- we were all running on adrenaline- long day but doing what we loved. The place was about packed and the patrons were intent on the band. When the solo came around I ripped the volume wide open and the friggin' thing just played itself!

On the set break, a guy who told me he was a session guitarist in NYC said "That acoustic solo was f-ing inspiring! You can always tell a true musician from somebody thats up there showboating!" It was probably the nicest compliment I got from someone who really understands music. But even without the compliment- that whole night we were on and playing from the heart. I'll never forget it.

I do have a studio version of the song- not as intense as played live but it'll give an idea. When I load up to Sound Cloud if this thread is still 'alive' I'll post it.

Brian

15. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm quite happy with my two solos in Lazy Days, the intro, and the one at about 1:40. I liked this song written by Josh, and as I didn't do fills and backing guitar, I could just focus on the solos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.