Join Strat-Talk Today

Your # one Strat??

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by MrPoppa2, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

What makes any of your Strats a # one in your oppinion? Do you have a close second? Do you play it more often than any of your other Strats, is it just more sentimental than the others and why?

Mine is a cheap Squier SE that is fully converted to a MIM Strat, by swapping in all the components, it plays and sounds better than my more expensive Strats, plus, I put in a lot of work refinishing it! ...poppa

2. MrPoppa2

My # one Strat........

I forgot a picture of my # one, I am sure everyone has seen it, but pics are good...HA!

Attached Files:

3. Tee H C

Tee H C Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well it has to be sound and comfort, and this CV was made for me. Literally.

The moment I held it I knew it was the one for me.

There are many like it but this one is mine.

This has recently put my Fender Mim into hibernation.

Attached Files:

4. normj

normj Strat-O-Master

I have more Strats (and Strat clones) than I can remember. Maybe some where near 75 around here. I do rotate what I play. There are some I drag out every now and then because I miss it. An example is my two 1979 Strats. Both have a pleasant tone. But both are heavy as hell and have clubbish necks. They are not comfortable to play for very long.

I have four Strats that see far more playing time than the others. Those are my favorites to play. They are: a 2004 Fender Custom Shop NOS 60, a 1983 Fender AVRI 57, my surf green project, my sonic blue project and a red project Strat.

All four of those have a tone that fits my playing style these days. I play mainly surf and want a vintage sound. The slim C profile on the NOS 60, and the three projects are very comfortable. The 83 AVRI 57 has a rather slim feeling V profile. It is quite different from the later AVRI 57 necks and the Classic 50s necks. All four have a 7 1/4 inch fretboard radius. That is more comfortable for my old stiff fingers these days. 4 of the 5 are quite light weight (the surf project has a slightly heavier swamp ash body). I have all set up in a similar manner. They feel much the same to play.

The NOS 60 has Custom Shop made pickups that were specially made for it. They are not available anywhere else. I really like the Fender necks from 1960 to 1962. They had a great feel to them. So the NOS gives me that feel for far less than an original early 60s Strat.

The surf project has an old Mighty Mite (back when they were made in the US) body made from swamp ash. Slightly heavier that the alder bodies. Also, slightly brighter in tone. I have a 1984 Fender AVRI 62 neck on it. I have Fender 57/62 pickups at the neck and middle positions. I have a DiMarzio Area 61 pickup at the bridge. I have had a great many different necks on this body until I finally settled on the 84 AVRI 62 neck. Similarly, I have had many different pickups in it. I now have it set up so it is a close rival to the NOS 60 Strat.

The sonic blue project is a fairly recent creation. I found a newish Squier Deluxe body that had a nice tone. I have a Fender AVRI 62 neck on it (I think from the early 90s). I have Fender 57/62s at the neck and middle positions. I have a DiMarzio Area 58 at the bridge. When you hear it, you would never believe this was a Squier body.

The red project was done by the late Eddie Bertrand from the Belairs and Eddie & the Showmen). I got it from his estate. I do not know the origin of the body. The neck is a 1986 AVRI 62. It has 1982 Fender red bobbin reissue pickups at the neck and middle positions and a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder at the bridge.

The 1983 AVRI 57 is one of my all time favorite guitars. It has a marvelous neck. Feels fantastic in my hands. I really enjoy playing the slim V profile Fullerton used on the AVRI 57s. It has its stock Fender reissue pickups (grey bobbins). This one has seen a lot of playing time, you can tell that by looking at the neck. I am getting to the point where I should have it refretted. Cannot bring myself to do that. So I play it less and less, trying to stretch out the remaining life of those frets.

My favorites are similar feeling Strats. All quite comfortable for me to play these days. They do vary some in tone. Some are brighter than others. Each has its own voice. That gives me some options.

Talk to you later,
    Norm

5. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

I love them all even the ones long gone to trades or sales but lately my tuxedo strat gets the most love. It just plays and sounds great. My close second is my natural finish strat with the 7 way switching and treble boost.

6. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

It's a tossup between these two. The first one is a 1990 American Standard neck with locking tuners mated to a Squier VM 70's body. It has a MIM trem and a set of older Fender Lace Sensors:(Blue, Silver, Gold). The other one is a 2008 CV 50's neck on a Daphne Blue/ Surf Green Bullet body. It also has a MIM trem, but has a set of Rose Mariposas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MrPoppa2

Those are all nice Strats, and I know how hard it is to choose one over the others. I just thought it would be fun to take a hard look (listen) at your wonderfull Strats! Thanks Leo, you have certainly brought joy to so many. .....poppa

8. JestersTear1

JestersTear1 Strat-O-Master

I can't decide at the moment - the Black is my original No1 but the CAR is a new build and I love her!

[​IMG]

9. revmike

revmike Strat-Talker

image-2809772915.jpg

Hmmmmm. I have 4 Strats altogether. A partscaster, a VM70's and a white Squier Deluxe. But my #1 is by far the Blacktop HH Floyd. It'll pretty much do anything.

Been thinking about selling the other 3 after the holidays and trying to find another really nice one.

10. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

11. 1neeto

1neeto Strat-Talk Member

I only have one strat. :D

12. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

I rotate the 6 Strats I have, and the one I'm playing at the moment is my favorite.
    I can't say any of them is a #1. They are all great, including a Squier Standard that I rescued from oblivion. In my avatar, the Squier is the one with a black pick guard, pickup covers etc.

13. mordacain

mordacain Strat-O-Master

Well, I'm not sure if I really have a #1 at this point. I have 3 complete strats and they all do different things:

1. 2012 American Standard (Sierra Sunburst), currently running this as a hot-rodded metal / hard-rock axe with a Air Norton S in the neck, Heavy Blues middle and Fast Track 2 bridge. I'll likely add a Hipshot US Contour trem to this axe to really make it work or trem use.
    2. 1989 Japan 54 Reissue (Candy Apple Red), currently equipped with the EMG DG20 set and this has been the guitar I've played most recently as I've gone into a bit of a Pulse-era Gilmour obsession
    3. 2011 Frankenstrat (Copperburst), this axe started as a FSR run MIM Standard. The neck has been replaced twice and now has a compound radius (9.5-12") with Tusq XL nut and Schaller locking tuners, a Hipshot US Contour trem and Dimarzio Area 58 neck, 67 middle and AT-1 (Andy Timmons model) bridge and this just completely rocks. This might be vying for my current #1 but I only finished putting it back together after installing the Hipshot this morning so only time will tell

14. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

ok ill post again my #1....a baby pic and an adult pic. ive had her since she was born in 1987. ive played many gigs with her and abused her very badly and she always forgives me. shes even been homeless with me for a period of time. this guitar has no monetary value....it is priceless...
    a long time ago....maybe she was 2.........and now. look how the neck has aged.

Attached Files:

15. randypttt

randypttt Senior Stratmaster

My #1 is a 2010 Am Std Strat I bought for my 60th birthday 2 years ago(see profile pic). Sentiment doesn't come into it except that it's a lot like an 85 I bought new that I got rid of in the 90's for some stupid reason.

What I like about this guitar is not so much the pedigree but that it has the combination of vintage and modern elements that I like such as 22 frets, treble roll off for the bridge pup, beautiful SB finish, huge sounding pups, and...I could go on.

My #2 is a SB Squier Standard (yeah I like Sunbursts) that I bought new in 03 with the idea of modding it at some point. That didn't happen until last year when I replaced the neck with a maple fret board, tort pg, black pup covers for the neck and mid pups and a Duncan HB at the bridge. Turned out great.

After acquiring the Am Std I realized that the alnico pups on the Squier sounded pretty good. They're not as big sounding but a lot raunchier than the Am Std.
    IMG_1763 (600x800).jpg

16. hotpot

hotpot Strat-Talker

My number one for sheer playability/tone/comfort is a parts strat I put together this year, it's made up of a mid 90's body that was originally daphne blue, it's now lake placid blue, a 98 squire neck and a set of Ironstone Gold grade pickups on a custom scratch plate. It really is a joy to play.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A very close second is my 91 squire strat that's had a David Gilmour mod with Ironstone platinum grade pickups,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Tee H C

Tee H C Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Here is some more

Attached Files:

18. dbob1216

dbob1216 Strat-Talk Member

Favortie Strats

I am new to the Strat world. I have a CIJ 68 RI with Maple neck-Love the sound
    I have a project squier that I messed up refinishing. An affinity body, a standard lefty neck and some old esp humbuckers that I got from a friend.
    The other one I've been playing most on,(for no particular reason) is a 20th anniversary Squier with some kinman pickups. I do like the feel and sound of it and I would like to upgrade my hardware also.
    So I have a couple of questions.
    My tuners seem to stay in tune pretty good,and i don't use the whammy now, it's tightened down but would anyone recommend replacing them? and with what?
    Also, what kind of tremolo system would fit?
    Or would a MIM body be recommended instead? I noticed some of you have put the MIM body on your guitars. I know they are the 1 3/4" thickness as opposed to my Affinity but are there any other advantages? One thing I do like about my CIJ and my 20th Aniv. is that the routing is sss. More wood?
    Sorry for so many ? but I do have more. :)

Attached Files:

19. MurphStrat

MurphStrat Strat-O-Master

I only have 3 strats at the moment but I've owned 2 more in the past. I was fortunate enough to keep my favorites. On the left is my #1. It's a Mia partacaster. I like it for its playability but mainly the tone. Then my #2 is a mim partacaster. Originally the mim was my number one but that didn't last long. The mim is still a great guitar that when I first got, preferred to 2 Mia strats I had. Both have the same pickgaurds with fat 50's in them. I might switch the pickgaurds around. I think I like the pickups or pots from the one in the mim better. But the Mia body is ash and I really like how the body resonates. I think I just prefer ash.

Attached Files:

20. BlackDogBrewing

BlackDogBrewing Strat-Talker

This one is my favorite; it's a partscaster built by a friend. Aftermarket body, Mexican bridge, Squier neck, Fender locking tuners, Fender Texas Special neck and middle pickups, Seymour Duncan Hot bridge pickup.
    [​IMG]

This is my second favorite, it's a Squier Strat that I installed Fender locking tuners on.
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.