YouTube guitars reviewers need to...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jason D, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

My favorite is when they blab on about how this feature or that feature were not incorporated into the design.

What does that have to do with this guitar? :whistling:

Lewbypls likes this.
  2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

It's convenient to be able to hear & see every piece of gear on the planet although I'm mostly annoyed by a lot of the the pro youtubers. Many clearly don't have enough music talent to make in playing for live audience or recording.

I saw a video by the German guy who's always doing the Joyo & Thomman stuff where he talked about how he does his videos & his business. He clearly under massive stress and in pressure-of-the process. He has someone controlling all the cameras and his videos are done in one take because editing after the fact is time consuming. He mentioned how many videos he does a day, I forget the number, but it was a lot. He also strongly recommended people don't get into it, for a number of reasons.

Off the top of my head I could list about a half dozen TOP Youtubers I refuse to watch ever again, but you don't care...and neither do I

JamesE likes this.
  3. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

What about his hair, did he just wake up and roll out of a sleeping bag with it?
    [​IMG]

4. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

No way I was going to spend 7min 50sec of that. 2.5 was about all I could take.

JJ119 likes this.
  5. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Is a SFB moron. :D

Gevalt and Jason D like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I'm glad Anderton's doesn't do vids with him anymore, I think Rabea Massaad and Danish Pete know way more about things and play with feeling and really demo the products without a wall of gain and FX like Rob did.....

Jason D likes this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

He's just a goober Ryan. Rob the Goober.

Jason D and Guitarmageddon like this.
  8. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

My favorite line in any guitar review is how "THIS GUITAR IS SO VERSATILE" lol. Like I am so sick of that line. It is used to describe every guitar on the planet. You can say that about anything. Strats, Teles, LP, SG, PRS, guitars with coil splits, guitars with 1,2 or 3 pickups, guitars with different voicings like Fishman pickups, etc etc etc. lol

9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Players are versatile. ;)

Seamus OReally, Jason D and Lewbypls like this.
  10. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

Yup

fezz parka likes this.
  11. Rick1983

Rick1983 New Member!

I liked this one:

And I actually bought the guitar, I already have two strats (60s anniversary desert sand and a 1996 MIM) but since August I only played this Epiphone, super nice guitar I am in love!

12. publius

publius Strat-Talk Member

Hello there,
    The features and tech specs of a guitar are readily available on sellers or manufacturers' sites. A basic rundown is fine of the features - generally I simply would like to hear the sound
    of basic open and barre chord progressions in different positions in various keys and notes up and down the neck through an average user amp on clean and dirty settings . No pedals unless the review is for a pedal.
    I am not desirous of hearing the amateur reviewers mini out of tune concerto. A run through of different genres of music tones on a specific guitar , fine.. country - heavy metal OK.
    General impressions, revelations concerning updates compared to previous or competitive models ...get to it. Reviewers knowledgeable in the instrument preferred over enthusiastic ....&c and so forth. Andertons, Sweetwater &c yes.

Still with all the reviews and examples of tone your experience may vary. Best to go try one out yourself if possible.

Yes and skip the unboxing.

Take it easy, baby
    Take it as it comes
    Don't move too fast
    And you want your love to last
    Ah, you've been movin' much too fast
    Go real slow
    You like it more and more
    Take it as it comes
    Specialize in havin' fun.

Here is an example in my opinion of a helpful review. Although it concerns pickups and not specific guitar reviews.....

https://reverb.com/news/reverbs-ultimate-electric-guitar-pickup-shootout

13. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Reviews are hit and miss. I still rely on them to check out guitars I can't play in-person but some of these people have no common sense. "Here's what this guitar sounds like..." [proceeds to noodle random notes with maximum gain and multiple effects without changing pickups at all]. Super helpful.

I want to hear it clean, then with some grit. Noodle around but strum some chords too. I want to hear what each pickup position sounds like. I already know what delay sounds like, so leave it off. And don't just rattle off the specs. Tell me what the neck FEELS like in your hand, tell me how the guitar balances, is it comfortable, etc. Those are the intangibles that you can't get from a website. And I never understood the point of those unboxing videos. Who is that for?

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Even SFB morons don't want to be associated with him. :D

fezz parka likes this.
  15. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

I can't watch anything with Crappers in it - all he does is whack on max distortion, then play at full speed so we can all see how clever (he thinks) he is. Thus making every guitar he 'reviews' sound exactly the same.

Must be positively discouraging for sales!

16. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

You CAN WATCH your own youtubes, right? I expect some editing, and professionalism. What they're doing is like attending a Wedding, dressed for a Barbecue.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  17. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

I hate ANY reviewer reviewing a guitar opening with distortion, if you open with that, i close the tab...simples

Anyone and any instrument can hide behind distortion

Clean or GTFO....

Same with amps really...clean channel or tab closes, i have pedals for dirty stuff

/me waits for someone to poison the thread with a Chappers youtube embed :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  18. brashboy

brashboy Strat-Talk Member

You must love Guitar Max, then, who unboxes guitars with a sword...

19. brashboy

brashboy Strat-Talk Member

They waste time unboxing, describing, I just wanna hear a clean demo. Shut Up and play...

Very few YTrs are good at this..

20. Axeman826

Axeman826 Strat-Talk Member

Me, personally, I don't get bogged down with all that nonsense.... I want them to tell me how it comes out the box, so I know IF it's worth the time and work, I'm going to have to put into it... The ONLY time I'm REALLY interested in their 'opinion', is when it's a $800+ ax... I like a few of the YouTubber's, but if they're demoing an ax I aint interested in, it don't apply, so I let it fly.... Guess I'm not that easily entertained, to let their lil idiosyncrasies, get in the way of what I wanna know... That's just me tho.. I'm mainly interested in kits and axes I can mod, anyway...